I need a computer

I'm coming back to PC gaming after a 20 year hiatus :confused: I'm looking at an Alienware Aurora with the following specs:

Intel® Core™ i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
32GB, 2666MHz, DDR4
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
256GB SSD +1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/S

I'm after playing older games like the fallout series and the Elder scrolls series but i want a system that is capable of playing newer games when they are released.

Any suggestions are welcome.

You should really wait before making any purchases right now. https://meltdownattack.com/

Was that a serious suggestion? Virtually all Intel processors made since 1995 have this potential issue. And right now it is only a potential issue, since neither of these exploits have been seen or reported in the wild. Also from what I've read both issues are simple memory read access exploits, they can at most see passwords and other sensitive data, not change or delete it. If this is incorrect I hope someone else chimes in. Edited by TheMastersSon

If you are only going to play games the 32gb is enormous overkill.

Also alienware is expensive for what you get.

I'm open to all suggestions. Like I said I haven't done this in 20 years.

You should really wait before making any purchases right now. https://meltdownattack.com/

Was that a serious suggestion? Virtually all Intel processors made since 1995 have this potential issue. And right now it is only a potential issue, since neither of these exploits has been seen or reported in the wild. Also from what I've read both issues are simple memory read access exploits, they can at most see passwords and other sensitive data, not change or delete it. If this is incorrect I hope someone else chimes in.

That's the way I understand it as well.

If you are willing to build your own, you can put together a rather nice machine, for less money than one of the big-name manufacturers would charge, unless, of course, you want a laptop..... Not much in the way of customization available there.

Was that a serious suggestion? Virtually all Intel processors made since 1995 have this potential issue. And right now it is only a potential issue, since neither of these exploits has been seen or reported in the wild. Also from what I've read both issues are simple memory read access exploits, they can at most see passwords and other sensitive data, not change or delete it. If this is incorrect I hope someone else chimes in.

From the information I have read at this time, the patch for meltdown will cost between 5 and 30% percent in raw power it is not fully known what the impact will be on gaming as INTEL showed some post patch gaming benchmarks but none of them used the DirectX API.

This guy says it is no problem for gaming

Edited by Erik005

What are you going to do about Meltdown? It's not a problem that you can fix.

Furthermore, unless you plan to follow security best practices 100% of the time, a potential attacker won't even need these exploits. Their main purpose will be to install a rootkit or a hidden mining program on your PC.

Veloth60, what's your budget? Name the number or the range and we can pick the optimal system for you. Also, what is your display, or what do you plan on getting for one?

What are you going to do about Meltdown? It's not a problem that you can fix.

Furthermore, unless you plan to follow security best practices 100% of the time, a potential attacker won't even need these exploits. Their main purpose will be to install a rootkit or a hidden mining program on your PC.

Without any known examples of what's theoretically possible, it's simply fear mongering. And it's not the first time this has happened, e.g. remember all the hysteria about Javascript from several years ago? Or the very real USB security hole that was discovered around the same time? We haven't seen an explosion of exploits for any of these design flaws, even though the world is filled with vulnerable systems. This same basic security issue with computers has always and will always exist, the only difference is that some vulnerabilities are actively exploited and most others are not.

That's the way I understand it as well.

If you are willing to build your own, you can put together a rather nice machine, for less money than one of the big-name manufacturers would charge, unless, of course, you want a laptop..... Not much in the way of customization available there.

I believe the last computer I built was a 286-16 Mhz with a whopping 1 meg of ram. At my age(well past 60) It's easier for me to buy one already made. Most of the current hardware are beyond my understanding. I'm after a desk top that I can plug into this:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5748206.p?skuId=5748206