I need a computer

That TV has HDMI inputs, so, any modern video card will have outputs that will work.

And, while hardware has come a long way since the 286 days, it all works pretty much the same way. :) Granted, buying one already made is 'easier', but, it also comes with a bunch of bloatware, that you don't really want/need. (but, spending a little while uninstalling it is also an option. :) )

The machine you have listed in the first post is actually pretty good. (hardware-wise, I haven't looked at pricing.....) Think I would skip the mechanical harddrive though, and just go with a larger second SSD. Running your games from an SSD DRAMATICALLY reduces load times. :)

One suggestion. Find out what games the operating system in the Alienware OS supports. Windows 10 isn't backward compatible with some. Last time I tried to install Morrowind on Windows 10 I was told it won't let me install it. The registry has enough quirks in it to make a tech mastermind registry editor flinch, and get twitchy eyed.

Before I forget. There's a folder with so many web address links in it, it's a monster of filed web addresses in the registry of all the supporters of Microsoft Windows 10.

It actually made me worry that it would cause my superb machine to slow one day and need some prosthetic device to support it.

They want our business. Even the Trump family businesses are in the list. Www.we want you to do business at our websites.com and bring all your friends.

One suggestion. Find out what games the operating system in the Alienware OS supports. Windows 10 isn't backward compatible with some. Last time I tried to install Morrowind on Windows 10 I was told it won't let me install it. The registry has enough quirks in it to make a tech mastermind registry editor flinch, and get twitchy eyed.

Before I forget. There's a folder with so many web address links in it, it's a monster of filed web addresses in the registry of all the supporters of Microsoft Windows 10.

It actually made me worry that it would cause my superb machine to slow one day and need some prosthetic device to support it.

They want our business. Even the Trump family businesses are in the list. Www.we want you to do business at our websites.com and bring all your friends.

Anything intel beyond 7th gen processors (inclusive) will be windows 10. They stopped supporting the older operating systems that generation..... So, quite likely Win 10. Win 10 Pro has some compatibility tweaks available though....

Anything intel beyond 7th gen processors (inclusive) will be windows 10. They stopped supporting the older operating systems that generation..... So, quite likely Win 10. Win 10 Pro has some compatibility tweaks available though....

I like my DELL XPS 8900, I added the Nvidia GeForce 1080 to it myself. The videocard fit snuggly in the case.

An online search to find out which games work well in Windows 10 with HDR HDMI would still be a good idea. Find out how some people set up their games with tweaks to the software for all the hardware.

MSI or Alienware. Both have all the equipment Veloth60 is looking for. I saw MSI has nearly an identically equipped computer as Alienware. MSI seems to be putting them on the shelf and they get sold out the day they do. If Veloth60 wants to save some money a little fishing for a store nearby that sells MSI, then have them order the MSI might be worth the effort.

That's a good one. Not as good as the X900E, but quite good.

To run 4K@60@4:4:4 (which you should), you'll also need a "Premium Certified" HDMI 2.0 cable, like Monoprice ones. Might need to try different ports to get a 2.0 link.

You'll want a powerful video card to drive it at 4K resolution. A 1080Ti will be best, suitable even for very demanding games at reasonably high settings. The 1080 will do most games at high settings, but dip a bit. HDR might be limited, but not a lot of PC games work well with it.

I checked Alienware's website and the configuration in your initial post is weird. 32GB RAM is unnecessary, but they only seem to spec 16GB modules. A 460 watt supply, are they serious? The 8700K is a power-hungry CPU and so is the 1080. Even a very good 460W will run too close to its limits for comfort. It will be noisy, it won't overclock well, it will limit the PC's life. Dell dropped the ball here.

The configuration you'd want would cost you $2,570. Since you've got (are getting?) an X850, not a Z9D or at least an X940E, I presume price matters.

A similar prebuilt PC can be bought for less: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-desktop-intel-core-i7-8700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-2tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-black/6163800.p?skuId=6163800

That's $1,880 from Best Buy. It's not as compact, but for $700 I think you can live with that.

I'm not specifically advocating for CyberpowerPC, it was just the first thing I found. Most 1080Ti's have been bought out by miners, so they're not cheap. I could build a slightly better PC at $1,800, all included, but $1,880 is a good deal for a prebuilt.

That's a good one. Not as good as the X900E, but quite good.

To run 4K@60@4:4:4 (which you should), you'll also need a "Premium Certified" HDMI 2.0 cable, like Monoprice ones. Might need to try different ports to get a 2.0 link.

You'll want a powerful video card to drive it at 4K resolution. A 1080Ti will be best, suitable even for very demanding games at reasonably high settings. The 1080 will do most games at high settings, but dip a bit. HDR might be limited, but not a lot of PC games work well with it.

I checked Alienware's website and the configuration in your initial post is weird. 32GB RAM is unnecessary, but they only seem to spec 16GB modules. A 460 watt supply, are they serious? The 8700K is a power-hungry CPU and so is the 1080. Even a very good 460W will run too close to its limits for comfort. It will be noisy, it won't overclock well, it will limit the PC's life. Dell dropped the ball here.

The configuration you'd want would cost you $2,570. Since you've got (are getting?) an X850, not a Z9D or at least an X940E, I presume price matters.

A similar prebuilt PC can be bought for less: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-desktop-intel-core-i7-8700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-2tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-black/6163800.p?skuId=6163800

That's $1,880 from Best Buy. It's not as compact, but for $700 I think you can live with that.

I'm not specifically advocating for CyberpowerPC, it was just the first thing I found. Most 1080Ti's have been bought out by miners, so they're not cheap. I could build a slightly better PC at $1,800, all included, but $1,880 is a good deal for a prebuilt.

I haven't gotten the computer yet. I should have stated that I have chosen the 850 watt power supply. I didn't see the power supply listed in the specs of the CyperpowerPC listed I will assume it's enough. The reason I'm here is for ideas. This will probably be the last gaming system I buy so I want one I don't need to upgrade in a year.

Well, like I said, bump it to 1080Ti. You need that for 4K.

And there's an option to get such a system for less.

I second that from experience, a 1080 not enough for 4k you need a 1080ti

The CyberpowerPC you linked looks good, but is that really a stock intel heatsink? That will not cool an 8700k

Edited by Erik005

The CPU-cooler isn't that good, I'm a fan of a good air cooler myself.

The 1080ti is the reference/founders card. they are louder and run hotter, be prepared to hear it if you get it.

They don't list the model and make of that PSU and it seems pretty cheap, a better quality 550 or 650 WATT model is a better choice.

Edited by Erik005