Remote hacking

valus22

How difficult would it be to expand the Hacker perk to enable remote access to, e.g., the Institute terminals?

I joined the BoS and some things like getting the info about McDonough's identity from their terminal would be very useful. In real life you can "hack" computers remotely, not just locally, so I thought it would be cool if this was doable.

Edited by valus_22

an excellent hypothetical.

I think it would be awesome to be able to 'remote access' all kinds of stuff,

and to have NPC enemy AI 'counter-hack' in some scenarios...

as well as HUD/UI jammers such as during RadStorms, or Institute Power Armor Hack-eject...

(complete with ECM alarm/'cyber-chaff etc")

that's the "ARMA" side coming out in me though,

as in ARMA 4 Fallout, you can do all kinds of stuff and have vehicles etc.

it's tricky for stuff not in the same cell,

owing to how cells and UGrid function...

most 'remote hacking' is Lineofsight stuff.

there's better power grid management,

better settlement menu,

and Massigests awesome electrical switches/logic gates, which can be remote accessed from in-menu as it's a linked container.

I know the folks on Soongs of the Wasteland

had implemented some 'remote hacking functionality' with their 'tricorder' weapon/device and menu HUD replacer.

I also know of a few folks that

want to turn Books of the Wasteland,

into pseudo/hacking with a sidegame that's dos-box for the hacking sidegame,

or a proper pseudo-code sidegame in flash etc.

Useful for what? Are you actually requesting a quest mod which allows you to use this info while being a BoS member?

either something like this, or a more general way of accessing selected terminals like Mass Bay medical center, Natick police department, Boston public library, the Institute... for immersion and fun, you know (although I don't know whether this would result in horribly broken quests, should probably be limited to "safe" terminals only like journals, patient records, etc)

Edited by valus_22