I want to make a quest mod but I have no scripting knowledge.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is this tool for Fo3 https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/5104

So either there is an NV version or this one works for NV ^shrug^ ?

This tool though can create problems if you don't know what your doing ?

Which then you need to use the -edit tool to fix it :geek:

Ending up with duplicates mostly I guess ?

Add edit: ah crap ... I broke my 999 post count :pirate:

Edited by Mktavish

Okay so I can use FNVEDIT to merge plugins (not a patch) But what now.

I still need those resources then I can get started on making AI packages

If by "resources" you mean the "art assets" or "code" from the vanilla ESMs, you need to make it a "master file" of your plugin, because they are copyright protected. If the "resources" are from another modder who grants permission to use them, then you can copy them from that modder's file into your own ESM. Same applies to BSAs and loose files. Which is why you see lots of mods that state certain DLCs are required. (You do not want to get into a legal argument with a game company. They HAVE to pursue you in order to protect their intellectual property, and no one is "too small". Additionally, Nexus will yank your mod if there is any complaint on that front because they don't want the hassle either.)

The "how" is you use FNVEdit or Wrye Flash to "ESMify" the source ESP in question into an ESM file (temporarily), load it along with your ESM and ESP files into FNVEdit, and "merge". You should then be able to "clean masters" to remove the "ESMified ESP* as a master of your plugin, and then revert it back to a simple ESP. Thereafter your plugin should have what it needs.

Please note that is the theory. I have not had needed to perform this operation myself. But you can search the web for the technique which goes back to Oblivion days at least.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I believe I've read of some annoyances when turning an .esp into an .esm in the form of dialogue being broken, and believe the recommendation was to do this before you do dialogue. Memory's a bit fuzzy on that, though. Back up your stuff, OP, in any event.

Which assets are you trying to import? If it's just one or two, maybe you should just 'make' them in your .esp using the source files, provided their permissions allow that or the mod author has granted you such permission.