I want to make a quest mod but I have no scripting knowledge.

I generally don't use FNVedit for armours and such, and I just grab the models and make a new armour form in the GECK using the models, choosing my own scripts or textures or stats or whatever, but if the armour comes with an .esp, you can copy it over with FNVedit.

I've read navmeshing can be automated in large part, and then you can touch it up by hand after. I've just made them from scratch manually, though. My best advice is to use the F key to put a navmesh vertex on the ground (meaning, make sure the vertex starts above ground and then press F). You should read up on this in Dubious's guide. There are a lot of videos on it as well.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also anyone knows how to quickly make navmeshes?

It's hard drawing stuff

Make your first triangle then hold control + right click. Press tab when you need switch the side of the two vertices selected.

This video has lots of good info.

Thisvideo:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JGpfOLiLic

Edit: to hopefully fix the video.

The video, it's CK for Oblivion but it works just the same as FNV for anyone wondering. That video is pretty concise for navmeshing.

Edited by kingbeast88

Nice tip. That's something that doesn't always come across in the videos. Added as 'TIP: Draw Navmesh Quickly' to "Navmeshing" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

But your link to the video failed. Try just adding the URL to a word or phrase such as "This video", just as with a forum or mod link.

[Edit: corrected name of Tip.]

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Hey guys just see about navmeshing. I didnt get it at first but this youtube video although skyrim is well explained and detailed and easy enough to understand and it is the same principle oh how to do it. https://youtu.be/5JGpfOLiLic I refreshed myself with this video a couple of days ago. But did me awesome. Hope it helps you.

Edited by RedNinja029

You don't need to draw cover, really. That gets done by the button designated for it on the navmesh toolbar. I've never had a problem with the way the GECK does it automatically. Haven't really pushed its limits or anything, so I don't know how it would do in a really complex room, but I think the average navmesh would have adequate cover drawn by the GECK with no input from you afterwards.

You need to navmesh places where AI will go, but don't need to bother with it anywhere that can't have AI in it. However, remember that the player can have companions, and they will need a navmesh. You can of course force the player not to bring companions, but you should probably have a good reason for it.

Note that nothing bad will happen if your companions can't come with you. They'll just wait where the navmesh ends and then teleport to you when you exit the cell if need be.

Edited by EPDGaffney