GPU Temp playing Oblivion

Nightfrost

Hey guys,

This may not be a specific Oblivion question but I'm a bit puzzled about my GPU temp while playing Oblivion. Even after only 20-30 minutes of playing my GPU temp is @82 °C but my GPU fan is just working with 33 %. Why is that?

I'm playing Oblivion 1.2 using Quarl's Texture Pack and a hand full of other minor mods.

My rig:

Windows 7 64 bit

Asus P8Z68-VPro

i7 2600k

gtx 580 1,5gb VRAM

WD Caviar Black 500gb

Corsair GS600

I wnana know about that because I have the intention to enhance the graphics of Skyrim with HD mods etc. after finishing with Oblivion and I don't want my GPU to explode because of a faulty configuration of my fan.

Sorry for grammar mistakes and maybe lacking basic computer knowledge.

Are you using any GPU fan speed control utilities? I use MSI Afterburner for GPU fan speed control and it works flawlessly unless I switch users rather than log off and then log on my other account. Then it turns off the automatic fan speed control and it will remain turned off until I re-enable it. EVGA Precision is another similar utility.

Like Raffer has said GPUs run hotter than CPUs. If you do decide to try something like either EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner (you don't need to be using an EVGA or MSI video card for them to work) they are fairly easy to setup. You use a graph to set up the fanspeed profile and you can drag the temperature points around afterwards to fine tune. The only downside is they need to run from an administrator account. On my Win XP machine I have set the startup of MSI Afterburner to prompt for the administrator password as I generally run in a Poweruser account.

Hey guys,

This may not be a specific Oblivion question but I'm a bit puzzled about my GPU temp while playing Oblivion. Even after only 20-30 minutes of playing my GPU temp is @82 °C but my GPU fan is just working with 33 %. Why is that?

I'm playing Oblivion 1.2 using Quarl's Texture Pack and a hand full of other minor mods.

My rig:

Windows 7 64 bit

Asus P8Z68-VPro

i7 2600k

gtx 580 1,5gb VRAM

WD Caviar Black 500gb

Corsair GS600

I wnana know about that because I have the intention to enhance the graphics of Skyrim with HD mods etc. after finishing with Oblivion and I don't want my GPU to explode because of a faulty configuration of my fan.

Sorry for grammar mistakes and maybe lacking basic computer knowledge.

Can you tell me your Nvidia Driver/forceware Version?