How do you remove some textures with Nifscope

Tamb0

I am looking to remove some surfaces and textures from a vanilla LOD model. I believe this is possible using Nifscope, but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have managed to remove collision from an object with the help of kane4355 (thanks), but the other workings of nifscope are beyond me at the moment.

Could anyone give a small step by step tutorial on how to do this.

Here's the model I need to change (a duplicate of course)

I want to remove the red area and keep the green area.

Is this even posible or would the whole thing have to be re-modelled ?

Well removing this in any modeling program is a piece of cake, to answer your question, yes it will have to be modified in a 3D program.

There are tons of tutorials on how to do this here on the forum ( a stickied tutorial post) you have probably seen it.

You are in luck because the 2 parts are not attatched, so you can probably make an alpha channel in the textures then add an AlphaProperty to the mesh itself and hide it that way.

Edit: attatched a customized one, removed the red part for you, im working on a 3d model right now, so i thought i could just do it. :)

I am looking to remove some surfaces and textures from a vanilla LOD model. I believe this is possible using Nifscope, but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have managed to remove collision from an object with the help of kane4355 (thanks), but the other workings of nifscope are beyond me at the moment.

Could anyone give a small step by step tutorial on how to do this.

Here's the model I need to change (a duplicate of course)

I want to remove the red area and keep the green area.

Is this even posible or would the whole thing have to be re-modelled ?

this is a vanilla? which one is it? it looks like dragonreach. I cannot give you a definate if it can happen i would have to take a look at it. A lot of statics have multiple shapes and they can be individual removed just like the collision. However, Most of the exterior statics are less complex as far as the number of shapes put into them, IE if i delete a shape it will effect more than just what i selected. take a window for example, You have usually 4-5 objects in a window. you have the window frame, you have the wall, you also have the sides of the wall, and then you have the window pane itself. this is just an example and the shapes are seperated by this in this example (using slgcwalwin01.nif for this one). Others may be double sided where the same is on either side but they are attached. It is complicated but I am no where enar being an expert on Nifscope, hell the tutorials i am reading are for a .96 release and the newest is 1.1 RC6, huge difference because the nif files for Skyrim are totally different than the ones in oblivion. The only difference I notice is the naming convention is different for blocks and the layout is somewhat different, but the logic is still there (example to replace a texture the tutorial tells you to search for a NiTexturingProperty object when in a skyrim nif its a BSShaderTextureSet).

This is what you can try to do but i doubt it will work the way you want it to:

open the nif in nifskope, select the part that you want to remove in the 3d model window and it should be selected to the left in the block list. it should also highlight in a wireframe mesh everything that is part of that object. if it covers more than what you want to delete then you will have to try other methods, IE using blender or another 3D modeler (no experience here) to open it up and delete those certain objects and keep what you want. If you delete that object, it will not be shown and may cause some issues. Again it is possible but i would have to look at what static u r trying to alter.

I am trying to do the same with some statics with no luck and i am researching the same for nifskope. Unfortunately most tutorials i find are for oblivion or morrowind. I dont think the skyrim portion of nifskope is fully developed. Most people have used 3d modelers or made their own meshes.

That's great Sk8on, kudos to you. Kudos to you as well kane4355 for the collision tut.

I've replaced the duplicated wrcastlemainbuilding01lod.nif mesh with wrcastlemainbuilding01lodcustom.nif. That was fine.

The problem I now have is when I use WRCastleStoneTowerTop01 and set the LOD to wrcastlemainbuilding01lodcustom.nif, it doesn't show up.

I suspect this has something to do with the origin being in a different place (see picture below)

Is there some way to move the origin or move the static in wrcastlemainbuilding01lodcustom.nif (left) to match that of WRCastleStoneTowerTop01 (right) ?

Edited by Tamb0

Well you can do that by targeting the "NiTriShape" then right click and select "Edit" there you can rotate and move the item as much as you want. When you are satisfied with the position, right click again and select "apply". That should be it. :)

you can also go to the shape (Nitrishape) of the one you want to mimmick and look at its block details. If you scroll down to "translation" you should see X,Y, and Z values. You can alter its location here as well. I would look at the mesh you are trying to mimmick and see where its translation is and copy those locations. If it shows up on the opposite side you can check the rotation or put a ( - ) symbol in the front. Some meshes however, are just designed to be in certain locations and will not always be at the center point defined when at 0,0,0. So if you find that the translation values are set to default, then the above method mentioned by Sk8on will work if you want to do it manually.

Well after a lot of flaffing about, I finally got it right :)

I did see the translation value and tried to copy them, but ingame, the building was way out of position once the LOD kicked in. Had to resort to doing it manually.

Only loaded and quit the game about 10 times, making little adjustments evertime. Everything's as it should be now.

Thanks again guys.

Well after a lot of flaffing about, I finally got it right :)

I did see the translation value and tried to copy them, but ingame, the building was way out of position once the LOD kicked in. Had to resort to doing it manually.

Only loaded and quit the game about 10 times, making little adjustments evertime. Everything's as it should be now.

Thanks again guys.

I will have to ask you sometime how you are going about getting custom objects into LOD. I want to do the same (to include landscape alterations) with my mod but never paid any mind to research into how to do it. if you can pm me i dont want to take up your thread either :P

• 5 months later...

Thank for this post! This quote in particular:

"(example to replace a texture the tutorial tells you to search for a NiTexturingProperty object when in a skyrim nif its a BSShaderTextureSet). "

I kept looking for a nitexturingproperty and could not find it anywhere! Now I know where the texture paths are, thank you!