UNP, CBBE, and... XCE?!

Rennn

I've used UNP for a long while, along with the mod to convert all vanilla armors and clothes to the UNP body. I was fairly happy with it, but just a few hours ago I saw a body mod so awesome and realistic, it could only be a divine gift from a prodigal new modder. I asked and found out... that it was vanilla, with no mods. This threw my game into a tailspin of course, and I was naturally thinking "Wth did Bethesda's vanilla body look hotter and more grounded than UNP in my opinion?" (Notice the "opinion" part. I'm not looking for a flame war)

This was aggravated when I noticed that all my modded UNP armors seemed to clip heavily when characters sprinted or went through poses, a problem which youtube videos of the vanilla body do not share. Long story short, I endured the 60 minute trip through hell of backing up 16GB of data while twiddling my thumbs, uninstalling UNP, hunting for all the leftover meshes and textures, and testing my game to make sure it was really gone. After that I installed XCE, since it's just like vanilla but better.

Why am I telling you all this?

Why am I risking a flame war over which body mod is best for no apparent reason?

Because I hope that someone, somewhere reads this and decides to take another look at vanilla characters, rather than simply getting a mod just for the sake of getting a mod. Hey, it has 4000 endorsements, it must be better, right? Maybe, maybe not. As it happens, UNP and CBBE both are very, very high quality, and they have more polygons and higher-rez textures, but the shape of the body itself seems less organic and began to grate after a while for me.

I know I went ahead and installed UNP (even tried CBBE for a brief time before deciding that it wasn't for me), just because I assumed it had to look better, and I didn't give vanilla a fair chance. Now I have to hope that I didn't botch my install while trimming the fat, so to speak, and I hope that some noob who's just starting to look for mods reads this and takes the message to heart.

I agree with what you say, 4000 endorsements are no guarantee about whether YOU will like a mod – or even if it will work on your system or with your style of play. What annoys me are people who endorse a mod without it being on their system for more than ten minutes of playing time.

Modding for me is what keeps the interest going, and I know that out of the millions of players, not one other person has had my gaming experiences or tribulations. I too have had to just chew on my shirt sleeves whilst backing up, and then had to replay a whole section of game after getting rid of a well endorsed mod that proved to be a troublesome bore.

Going back after UNP body problems? Not for me, Bethesda’s coy bodies annoyed me from the beginning as being quite out of keeping with spirit of the game. But then again it is a game.

@Rennn

I couldn't agree with you more.

XCE was the first mod that I ever installed for Skyrim, and I have never regretted it even for a minute. I haven't used UNP nor CBBE, but the latter I can definitively say is not my taste when it comes to bodies and figures. UNP seemed like it might be alright (less, "exaggerated" shall we say), but still something seems sort of strange (IMO, of course). I actually sort of like the au naturale grit of the vanilla bodies. Something about the perfectly clean, JRPG-esque bodies just don't seem to match the atmosphere of Skyrim for me. Somewhat imperfect characters seem more real to me, more relatable. Probably because I play Skyrim for realistic immersion rather than as a perfect fantasy, though even then, my idea of perfection would likely track more closely with XCE than it would with UNP or CBBE.

But I don't want to knock either of them. Everybody has their own taste and preference and that's awesome.

I'm just glad to see XCE getting some well-deserved love. Beth really did a nice job with the vanilla bodies, and Xenius did an even better job with his enhancements.

XCE was the first mod that I ever installed for Skyrim, and I have never regretted it even for a minute. I haven't used UNP nor CBBE, but the latter I can definitively say is not my taste when it comes to bodies and figures. UNP seemed like it might be alright (less, "exaggerated" shall we say), but still something seems sort of strange (IMO, of course). I actually sort of like the au naturale grit of the vanilla bodies. Something about the perfectly clean, JRPG-esque bodies just don't seem to match the atmosphere of Skyrim for me. Somewhat imperfect characters seem more real to me, more relatable. Probably because I play Skyrim for realistic immersion rather than as a perfect fantasy, though even then, my idea of perfection would likely track more closely with XCE than it would with UNP or CBBE.

I definitely agree with this sentiment, I like the UNP Slim mesh + navetsea's textures just because I'm not after a scary perfectly smooth plastic boob-monster. I'd love to see more textures and body mods that actually fit more into the overall style of Skyrim.

Edited by VonTempsky

Can you link the UNP mod you use?

He probably means UNP Skinny, and it'd be right next to the main file in the original UNP Female Body mod. The skin texture is already linked, it seems.

Vanilla female bodies are fat and ugly looking, when you add to that, that Lydia has for some weird reason, male animations, makes me sick - I have received a confirmation, why Bethesda's games are always WIP, when they are released..... they have so much to do along their work buddys............

So... UNP is really welcome, besides it's beautiful.

Vanilla female bodies are fat and ugly looking, when you add to that, that Lydia has for some weird reason, male animations, makes me sick - I have received a confirmation, why Bethesda's games are always WIP, when they are released..... they have so much to do along their work buddys............

So... UNP is really welcome, besides it's beautiful.

Fat and ugly? Good luck then, because they look at least as good as most real people.

I don't get why everyone wants a girl who's like 100 pounds or less. That's just way too skinny to be healthy for someone of an average height.

As for Lydia's animations making you sick... :wallbash:

I don't think it's anyone's place to pass judgement on someone for being a little "too" masculine or feminine.

I never said that UNP sucks, so why bother talking about how you think vanilla bodies are fat/ugly?

Edited by Rennn

I too like the others have used third party body mod, however my choice was CBBE (btw CBBE has from almost the first had a slim option and still does it also allows for smaller top and bottoms (if that is your thing ) this along with XCE, IMHO does help (i found that the body mod by itself didn't correct the short comings.

in the long run i guess if your trying to slim line your game to enable least amount of problems due to mods i guess you could go with default and XCE and leave it at that the only gripe that i have is that vanilla hairstyles leave a lot to be desired.