Change a default race into another race?

cramlow

If it's possible, I'd like some direction on how to change the breton children into another race that has been released, like the Dark Race for example. This race would have different skin, body type and armor and completely replace the child mesh and textures. How would I go about this in the CK?

Thanks.

If you aren't concerned with altering the body or head, just skin tones or morphology, skip to the bottom.

If you are concerned with changing the body only, I'm going to use a Wood Elf head on Nord body example.

Duplicate the WoodElfRace and rename it your new race. Open up the new race and change these properties:

Click the MorphRace tab and change it to Wood Elf.

Click the ArmorRace tab and change it to Nord.

At this point, if you click preview you won't see anything but a wood elf head, I presume this is basically where you are stuck. The solution is rather ass backwards.

In the ArmorAddOn section there is an object called NakedFeet. This determines the properties for human feet, open it up. Ensure it says DefaultRace in the center top area, and on the sidebar will be a list of races who are acceptable candidates for basic human feet. Find your race and click it to activate it.

Now do the same for NakedHands and NakedTorso.

In the Armor section there is an object called SkinNaked. Open it up. In the race pull down, find your race and select it. At the center bottom, in the Models section, you may see NakedFeet, NakedTorso, and NakedHands, in no particular order. if not right click and choose new and add them yourself. If you see, as from our example, NakedFeetWoodElf, NakedTorsoWoodElf, etc. Delete those.

Open up your race and click preview full. Your character should be a wood elf with a human looking body, but his skin is the wrong color. So go over to the tinting tab. Select skintone.dds and where it says Color / Value you should see a list of wood elf skin tones. Delete these and add light human skin tones.

To make the new race same in size and stature to the Nord, copy the height/weight/mass values in the Body Data tab from the Nord to the new race. Now they will be the same stature.

Your character should now be:

Wood Elf Head

Nord Body

Nord skin tones

Wears any armor a Nord can (basically all PC armor)

In character creation, the face options (eyebrows, scars, etc.) will be all of the options usually available for wood elves, not what is usually available for Nords. You can tweak them in the Creation Kit but incorrect features will be buried or float around the head, depending on the sort of cranial difference between the "morph" (head) and the "face part" (eyebrows, etc.)

Edit: I realized you may be looking for a simpler solution for a simpler project. If you aren't concerned with Head/Body swapping, all you have to do is duplicate a race to make a new one, toggle morphrace and armorrace to the one you duplicated from, then toggle the race in NakedHands, NakedTorso, NakedFeet so they will be available for your race, then add them all in SkinNaked. At that point you should be done, your character should load up properly in preview. All that's left is changing the height and weight in the Body Data tab and the skin tone in the Tinting tab, by clicking on skintone.dds.

Credit for this goes to budcat

Edited by cook104

• 4 years later...