Lets talk a little abut shadow casting lights.

jojje5

Speaking about Precombines by the way, that is something i cam currently toying with. and if the game indeed has Vram Culling issues then Precombines is something that should really help with that.

it goes allot faster to cull 16 objects merged into one from memory than it is to dump 16 individual objects, and the way culling works it might also be that only 8 out of those 16 objects gets culled in one pass and the other 8 remains if they are not merged as one.

so maybe this is something to consider when people are reporting slideshows in our mods. it could be that before they entered your cell they were in a cell with many individual objects or in a cell where the precombine system were broken.

I get the feeling that the engine simply runs through a very slow loop when iterating over all the objects in a scene. Culling actually helps - PreVis does that, as do Occlusion Planes and Boxes. I also feel that this is mainly problematic because of the verticality and packedness of downtown Boston. Skyrim SE is very similar and chokes on mainly the same things: crammed exterior cells, dynamic lighting. SSE isn't as dense as FO4 though, and BGS likely stumbled upon this performance issue late in development, which would explain the hodge-podge solution they chose.

Anyway, FO4s performance issues and solutions are relatively well understood by now.

Speaking about Precombines by the way, that is something i cam currently toying with.

If you haven't seen this thread you should check it out it contains everything we have learned about the system. Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance System Explained

so maybe this is something to consider when people are reporting slideshows in our mods. it could be that before they entered your cell they were in a cell with many individual objects or in a cell where the precombine system were broken.

But this doesn't really explain how I could see this on Xbox in vanilla cells, I only run around 30 mods, My Beantown Interiors being the most demanding but, I have it fully optimized with new pre-combined meshes. It can happen in other places besides Ft Hagen, that was just the most memorable.

Speaking about Precombines by the way, that is something i cam currently toying with.

If you haven't seen this thread you should check it out it contains everything we have learned about the system. Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance System Explained

But this doesn't really explain how I could see this on Xbox in vanilla cells, I only run around 30 mods, My Beantown Interiors being the most demanding but, I have it fully optimized with new pre-combined meshes. It can happen in other places besides Ft Hagen, that was just the most memorable.

I think it does, note here it is not "your" cell that is at fault, it is what happened before that kind of is the key.

let me take you thru an example of what i think is happening. first lets think of the Vram as a basket. and when we are talking about culling it is not so important how large the basket is, but how fast we can put things out of it, how large the basket is only matters at the end.

we enter a room and fill the basket with everything in it, we get 50 objects and our basket is halfway full. after that we move to the next room.

the trip to the next room takes 1s. and we know we are going to fill the basket again so we should probably throw some things away to make sure we got room.

but in 1s we only had time to throw away 20 objects, we also spared 5 special objects because we might need them again further down our trip, so in total we have 25 objects when we arrive to the next room.

the next room is allot bigger and we get 60 objects from it, now we got a total of 85 objects and we move to the next room.

this trip also only takes 1s, but this time we only had time to throw away 15 objects because we got 5 special useful objects again, and it took us sometime to decide what special objects we should keep from the ones we got from the first room and the last. we arrive to the next room with 70 objects.

the last room is allot smaller than the others, and we only find 35 objects, but crap that is 5 more items than what we have room for, and BANG. here comes the slideshow as the system struggles with trying to figure out what to do.

Fort hagen as you mentioned i know is an area with allot of objects, and allot of objects means that it has a higher chance of "tipping the basket"

it might or might not depending on what you put in your basket previously and how much of it you had time to throw away while going there.

sorry if it was very oversimplified. but i am sure now you get the gist.

some people would call this a memory leak. but in reality it is a way modern systems optimize to keep the "travel time" low.

memory leaks are something else and something that mainly happens in pre-historical systems.

Edited by jojje5

some people would call this a memory leak. but in reality it is a way modern systems optimize to keep the "travel time" low.

memory leaks are something else and something that mainly happens in pre-historical systems.

No that acctually helps, I am a mac guy never even used windows until I installed a bootcamp drive for FO3. I understood some of the technical stuff from your other posts but, I get lost when People start talking about their system spects and whatnot. :unsure:

No that acctually helps, I am a mac guy never even used windows until I installed a bootcamp drive for FO3. I understood some of the technical stuff from your other posts but, I get lost when People start talking about their system spects and whatnot. :unsure:

Glad that i could help :)

If you want to know what a memory leak is then that is more like when something gets "stuck" in a loop.

Like when you leave a program on and you notice that it starts eating more and more memory without you doing anything to it.

But there are pretty good failsafes in most systems today to prevent that from happening, and i have not noticed and "real" memory leaks in anything for years.

As a matter of fact, I can recommend Inside Jobs ( https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27320 ) to you, we experimented heavily with shadowcasters. Move to the Quincy SD Mart by

coc tbQuincySDMart

Check out your frame rate while exploring the interior. On my dev machine it ran along at a smooth 45 fps, topping out around 5000 draw calls (ENB Profiler!). If you have many more, make sure Precombined Objects are on. That's a Core i7 4790 and a GTX980 on Win10.

Go down to the basement, remove the fusion core from the generator, then return to the shop floor. Removing the core disables all lights in the cell. Check your FPS. On my dev machine it topped out at 85 fps, same amount of draw calls.

That's one shadowcasting spotlight per light fixture, around 20 in total in the entire interior. Eats up half my frame rate.

Back to say what a lovely mod you got there. i sent you some endorsements.

I ran it just fine at 60fps (limited) consistently. but that makes me a little worried as you said you had almost a 50% fps drop when running it. kind of makes me think that i have tweaked my system a little to much to be able to reference things...