List of Recommended Custom Companion Mods

el2mador

I'm using Amazing Follower Tweaks which is easily the best companion management/controller/overhaul mod in the game. It has all the essential functions of several other mods, and even adds its own take on settlement building, outfit saving, dialogue, and yes, even a means for you to 'immersively' revive your own spouse.

That being said, here are some companion mods I'm using for my playthrough. Note that I won't be listing down any mods that just change a vanilla companion's appearance; just the ones that add actual new companions.

---------------------------------------

My top picks:

(1) Heather Casdin - What else can be said about this mod? Perfect. Made by llamaRCA; no bugs/no issues. Independent of the vanilla follower system. Has a ton of sidequests. Has her own main quest. Custom voice. Multiple interjections. Affinity, romance, perks. Is even a vendor with her own type of items. She just feels smarter than any vanilla companion, more complete even. It's an amazing companion mod that totally beats out anything Bethesda has come up with.

(2) Ellen the Cartographer - Another companion that's also amazingly done; made by u/guicool138. Has her own affinity/romance/perk, and her own quest, with a very disturbing twist. Voiced by Potasticpanda (you may know her as Recorder/Ambriel from Skyrim; as well as mXr's special ladyfriend).

(3) Mollie the Cheerleader - Made by vault75; I find this mod quite hilarious due to how much of a dumb bimbo Mollie can be when she talks; the voice acting and quips are very fun to hear in the game. Also with affinity/romance/perk.

(4) The Storyteller - from New Vegas/Youtube fame; another welcome addition as a companion due to his narration/voice acting; strangely enough, I don't recall which mod I had that got him installed. I'm assuming it's from Atomic Radio/Tales from the Commonwealth; also would like to add The Wasteland Codex as a fun addition to the game, with all entries voiced by Storyteller himself.

More Awesome Companions:

• Wastelander Barb and Shei Wolf Ally - both are independent of the vanilla system (like Heather) and don't take up a companion slot; managed by MCM as well

• Randompanser - fully voice acted, has her own quest/affinity/romance/worldspace/custom armor

• Synth06 - fully voice acted, also has her own quest/affinity/romance/worldspace/custom armor, and yes, a new pair of synth eyes

• Athena - also fully voice acted but does not have an affinity system; she sings though

• Blood Rose - custom voice (a lower pitch of Piper's), has her affinity/romance/perk system

• Eppie - voiced by a South African DJ; made by vault75, the same author as Mollie; unfortunately she doesn't have her affinity/romance/perk system

• Vault Girls Laura and Jasmine - originally made by vault75 (this guy makes really cool custom companions); he's since given permission for another author to continue updating the mod; the latest versions have made tons of fixes; the new author will also add Laura's sister, Jasmine, as a recruitable companion

Notable Mentions:

• Ada2Human - I know I wasn't supposed to add mods that only changed a companion's appearance; but hell, this one completely turns Ada into a human; I did encounter some issues when using it alongside AFT so I did a workaround that worked fine for me (check AFT's list of compatible mods for the info)

• Wintermute also made by the same author as Ada2human (Lazygirl); creates cyborg companions that are fully customizable; it also has issues with AFT so I also had a workaround for it (check AFT's list of compatible mods for the info)

• There are also other mods in the Nexus that are worth mentioning such as T0-r1 Victoria; Vex the Knife-fighter; and Revy; these are basic custom follower mods - no affinity systems/perks, just the basic commands you can do for followers, but they sure look cool.

All right. These are mine.

There may be some more custom companions from quest mods. I have several installed but I've yet to start those quests so I'll probably add more of them as I encounter them.

Who are your custom companions/what are your recommendations?

Since you play with Tales from the Commonwealth, I'm quite surprised you didn't include R4-04 and Audrey (and even Birdie, although I haven't traveled with him much so don't put him in the same class as the other 2). Imo, the 2 best companions in the game. Heather Casdin's a very close 3rd but, yeah, I can't say enough about those 2. Their voice-acting is off the charts superb and their, very extensive, dialogue is funny, smart and varied. And, with an add-on file, they even have dialogue for Automatron, Nuka World and Far Harbour.

Oh, I've played the heck out of TftC, and can confirm that there's no "Storyteller" companion in it.

Since you play with Tales from the Commonwealth, I'm quite surprised you didn't include R4-04 and Audrey (and even Birdie, although I haven't traveled with him much so don't put him in the same class as the other 2). Imo, the 2 best companions in the game. Heather Casdin's a very close 3rd but, yeah, I can't say enough about those 2. Their voice-acting is off the charts superb and their, very extensive, dialogue is funny, smart and varied. And, with an add-on file, they even have dialogue for Automatron, Nuka World and Far Harbour.

Oh, I've played the heck out of TftC, and can confirm that there's no "Storyteller" companion in it.

I haven't gotten far with many of the Interesting Npcs in that mod, although I've met quite a few while exploring. In fact, I haven't gotten far yet with many of the custom quest mods I've installed since I'm still focused on the vanilla story and dlcs.

I'd go ahead and grab them then. I assumed Storyteller was part of that mod as well so now I'm confused which mod he came from.

Nora Spouse Companion - Of course it's a bit rough and incomplete compared to Heather or Ellen, but running around the wasteland with your spouse just feels right, especially if you're following the main story instead of using an alternate start.

I've seen the mod recommended fairly often but, at the moment, I'm using AFT's spouse revival feature. The mod also doesn't work for female player characters (or rather, it's designed for male player characters), so I'd run into issues if I use that.

Still worth a try for those who use male characters; and it's also compatible with AFT.

• 1 year later...

I know its a late reply, but a fairly recent mod called 'im darlene' is one of the best companions in the game imo. right up there with heather and ellen. she has a unique affinity system, a great (and sad) story, is really funny, has a sexy french accent and is beautiful looking. well worth a play.

Nora Spouse Companion - Of course it's a bit rough and incomplete compared to Heather or Ellen, but running around the wasteland with your spouse just feels right, especially if you're following the main story instead of using an alternate start.

I've seen the mod recommended fairly often but, at the moment, I'm using AFT's spouse revival feature. The mod also doesn't work for female player characters (or rather, it's designed for male player characters), so I'd run into issues if I use that.

Still worth a try for those who use male characters; and it's also compatible with AFT.

Dual Survivors is for female characters.

Also try Father Companion. Reunite the family.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20763/?tab=description&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D20763%26preview%3D&pUp=1

There is a large quest that has been being made for a very long time now. Apparently still being worked on last I checked a couple of months ago. Hope we see it someday soon.

I am in process of internal testing on a completed companion called Malia. High level overview, Malia features her own custom affinity system that has 15 quests directly related to her affinity and eventual romance. Malia features random chatter, so she will say things randomly while traveling along with you. She has more layers of autonomy, driven by the Story Manager, than I can shake a stick at. I have created a custom survival mode for her, so she requires food, drinks, sleep. She has a custom build RADS system, since NPCs are not affected by rads in the game, not in a long-term sort of way. Malia is capable, via her autonomy stacks, to search for her own food and water under certain circumstances. She has more layers than any companion ever made for Fallout (in ANY of the games). She features roughly 6000 voiced lines of dialogue. Furthermore, she is fully capable of detecting and commenting on / using AAF as an animation system, if the mod finds it installed - this can be for simple things like hugging or kissing animations, but also included the more racier adult content featured on the Other Site, where Malia's WIP thread is located - simply due to the lack of limitations on screenshots or embedded video samples.

Malia is built on my RSE technology, so there are layers of custom scripting in her mod the likes of which have seldom been seen in any mod for Fallout.

Literally, Malia is everything you've ever wanted in a companion for Fallout 4. She is not watered down and actions on some darker, realistic-to-the-game-world themes. She is not a companion for a Sunday School kid, that is for sure. No punches pulled, drops F-bombs like they were punctuation and says some suggestive / lewd things when the mood takes her.

You can read about Malia HERE, though this is not her WIP thread (located on Lovers Lab) and the details are not 100% up to date - the jist is there for you however.

Developmental Work In Progress can be viewed HERE. Please note, this thread is hosted on a NSFW site and you may experience banner ads of an explicit nature.