Updating mod from FO4Edit

vronykah

I have a mod that I will add items to, etc, using FO4Edit. I have noticed a weird phenomenon. With the mod installed, all the changes work in game fine. When I try to package it up to release, all the most recent changes aren't there. I am using the most recent backup with the date/time stamp that it says when saving. Is this just me or has anyone else encountered this issue?

Also, if I add another item, and another backup save; that one has all the previous stuff I changed, just not the new item. So far that's how this amateur has dealt with this issue. Would love to hear if anyone else encounters this problem. It's possible I'm overlooking something.

Thanks.

I have a mod that I will add items to, etc, using FO4Edit. I have noticed a weird phenomenon. With the mod installed, all the changes work in game fine. When I try to package it up to release, all the most recent changes aren't there. I am using the most recent backup with the date/time stamp that it says when saving. Is this just me or has anyone else encountered this issue?

Also, if I add another item, and another backup save; that one has all the previous stuff I changed, just not the new item. So far that's how this amateur has dealt with this issue. Would love to hear if anyone else encounters this problem. It's possible I'm overlooking something.

Thanks.

I think you're misunderstanding which file you're supposed to grab and pack. The files that are found in "FO4Edit Backups" are old versions and not your latest. Your latest will always be in Fallout 4\Data with the base name of your mod. No date or anything on it. This is why when you play in game (it loads the base name file from Data) it works fine but you pack your file that has the date on it labeled as "backup" is the previous version.

Thanks.

I think you're misunderstanding which file you're supposed to grab and pack. The files that are found in "FO4Edit Backups" are old versions and not your latest. Your latest will always be in Fallout 4\Data with the base name of your mod. No date or anything on it. This is why when you play in game (it loads the base name file from Data) it works fine but you pack your file that has the date on it labeled as "backup" is the previous version.

Thanks for the insight. So I would make a save in FO4Edit and it'll say something like this: V's Scavver Art.esp.backup.2018_01_30_20_51_00. That matches my date/time that I made the save. Usually the most recent backup in the Data folder is older, the previous save, but will still have the time stamp, etc. Based on your input, I packaged it up with the most recent in the Data folder and it has all the updated info. I can't say I completely understand why but this answer was very helpful and solved my problem.

The information about the Data folder having the most recent backup, so that it works in game is very helpful and makes sense, with you pointing it out. I may not understand the date/time issue, but if it's working why mess with it!

Thank you both for the help.

Edited by vronykah

Thanks for the insight. So I would make a save in FO4Edit and it'll say something like this: V's Scavver Art.esp.backup.2018_01_30_20_51_00. That matches my date/time that I made the save. Usually the most recent backup in the Data folder is older, the previous save, but will still have the time stamp, etc. Based on your input, I packaged it up with the most recent in the Data folder and it has all the updated info. I can't say I completely understand why but this answer was very helpful and solved my problem.

The information about the Data folder having the most recent backup, so that it works in game is very helpful and makes sense, with you pointing it out. I may not understand the date/time issue, but if it's working why mess with it!

So...Some/One of the previous Bethesda games used plugin date+timestamps to set load order. So xEdit retains the date/time on the file when you close and it sets the final output file.

As for the filenames, there's a process involved to understand what's going on. So when you initially start to save, whether it be using Control-S to manually save or trying to close and it popping up a prompt to save changed files, the process goes like this. It creates a new file named MyMod.esp.save.YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS. Then it renames the old version of your file (the current MyMod.esp) to MyMod.esp.backup.YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS. If there is any problem renaming that file (because it's locked by a running game, or open by another xEdit, or whatever) it will abort there and stop with an error stating as such. You then have the previous version named as it was, and the new save as .esp.save.date. If it is successful renaming the file then it again renames your new plugin MyMod.esp.save.YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS to MyMod.esp, then sets the date and time to match the original file it is replacing, and then moves the "backup" (old version) to the xEdit Backups folder.

So the file V's Scavver Art.esp.backup.2018_01_30_20_51_00 is correct in that it is a backup created at that time and date of the previous version you just replaced.

Edited by BigAndFlabby

So...Some/One of the previous Bethesda games used plugin date+timestamps to set load order. So xEdit retains the date/time on the file when you close and it sets the final output file.

As for the filenames, there's a process involved to understand what's going on. So when you initially start to save, whether it be using Control-S to manually save or trying to close and it popping up a prompt to save changed files, the process goes like this. It creates a new file named MyMod.esp.save.YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS. Then it renames the old version of your file (the current MyMod.esp) to MyMod.esp.backup.YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS. If there is any problem renaming that file (because it's locked by a running game, or open by another xEdit, or whatever) it will abort there and stop with an error stating as such. You then have the previous version named as it was, and the new save as .esp.save.date. If it is successful renaming the file then it again renames your new plugin MyMod.esp.save.YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS to MyMod.esp, then sets the date and time to match the original file it is replacing, and then moves the "backup" (old version) to the xEdit Backups folder.

So the file V's Scavver Art.esp.backup.2018_01_30_20_51_00 is correct in that it is a backup created at that time and date of the previous version you just replaced.

This information was extremely helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it more in-depth. This really helps me understand how it's all working together, which is always better than just winging it. Thanks so much for your time.