Last Ditch Effort To Save My Save (*PLEASE HELP*)

lGrumpyl

Okay, like the title says this is my last ditch effort to find a solution to this issue. The issue I am having is that when I try to load my last two recent saves the game CTDs, but when I load my third recent save it loads just fine. Unfortunately for me, there is a gap of about 6 real-time hours in between my 2nd and 3rd most recent saves. I've tried loading the save without mods, made sure there wasn't a load order error with LOOT, cleaned the update and DLC masters and STILL no luck. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated and would almost certainly get you into heaven.

well , usually trying to load your saves after disabling mods will only break your save further , so it's usually not a good idea

so it's not surprising this didn't work for you

as for the issue itself , you really need to provide useful information here

what have you done between these saves? have you installed or removed mods? have you changed anything at all?

Nope, I didn't add or remove any mods in between the time of saving and trying to load the save the first time, which is why it seems like it doesn't have to do with mods to me. Basically, I saved the game, got off my comp, then ran into the issue two days later when I tried to load the save.

so those 6 hours between the working and crashing saves were just play time , no fiddling with mods or anything of that sort?

is there a large difference in save file size between these? are the newer ones substantially larger?

have you tried resetting your pc ,and trying again? I doubt it will do the trick , but sometimes it does help

Relevant information would include what cell you were in when you made your broken saves, what quests you were doing, and what level you were.

Also, try using this application to open your saves and identify any "undefined elements". https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5031/

To be honest though, it's very optimistic to assume that even if you can salvage and load your most recent save that there won't be issues down the line if this is the result of tampering with mods at any point after having started a new game. It's also very unlikely in such a case that the undesirable scenario of continuing your game from 6 hours prior will even be a solution. Your game could break upon entering a certain area, completing a certain quest, or reaching a certain level. Just because a save loads doesn't mean that the game isn't broken.

Generally speaking, adding / removing mods, modifying your load order, or editing master files during a play through are very unsafe practices. If I really have to do any of these things, I typically kill my most recent game and start a new one with few exceptions.

Edit: But negativity aside, I've had a few "test" saves where I've added and removed a hideous amount of mods and were able to get to 70-80 hour mark. It depends on what mods you're adding / removing and what you've interacted with so far in that play through. Some may little if any "less-than-desirable" effects, others may break the game on the spot, and more still may remain playable....until they aren't.

It should be pointed out here that if he or she removed mods at ANY time during that character play through then that could very well be the reason for the broken save If a script had been loaded into the save and was supposed to fire at level 45, or in a particular cell upon entering, then your save would be broke at that point

It should be pointed out here that if he or she removed mods at ANY time during that character play through then that could very well be the reason for the broken save If a script had been loaded into the save and was supposed to fire at level 45, or in a particular cell upon entering, then your save would be broke at that point

Agreed. A save that loads can be just as broken as a save that doesn't. You only have to lose a 100+ hour save one time before you learn the value of meticulously selecting and configuring your mods, testing them, and creating patches before starting an actual play through.

I've seen a few episodes of modded "Let's Plays" where the host allegedly installs and configures mods between episodes without any major issues. I say "allegedly" because I'm almost certain the game breaks at some point and they simply edit around it or start a new game and simulate their previous progress with console commands. That's reasonable for a let's play, but I think viewers get the idea that modding mid-game is a reasonable thing to do.

Going forward, I would suggest using this mod as well:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12644?tab=description

Savehotkey SSE. I use the MCM version (need skse for this one) but he also provides a standalone version with no MCM menu if you don't use SKSE. This mod is now in my 'must have' list.

What I did:

- Completely disable auto-save functions in the settings gameplay menu, you might have to scroll down to see the options then uncheck them.

- Move/re-bind quick save key (Default F5) to some other key or leave it unbound to any key

- If using MCM version of Savehotkey, rebind the hotkey to F5

Now I get a complete save whenever I press F5 and I do it VERY often. Since I was used to quick saving before, F5 key was the natural choice for me. There's been talk about autosaves and quick saves causing save corruption, not sure how much of that is true but the point being that I now get complete saves as often as I want without it seeming like a hassle anymore.

Do not use the mod mentioned above and I will tell you why, jeedge this is also for you

When you do a hard manual save, the game pauses EVERYTHING - mods firing, scripts running or firing, combat, and so on. The problem with auto saves, quick saves and the like is they do NOT pause any scripts running or firing, and this is the #1 major cause of saves becoming corrupted, besides a noob deleting mods from their load order lol

Edited by gromulos

"When you do a hard manual save, the game pauses EVERYTHING - mods firing, scripts running or firing, combat, and so on. "

Hi Gromulos, nice to see you on here. So I should have been more specific. WHEN I use the above savehotkey mod, then Yes - it IS a full hard save. But at the same time, I make sure I am not involved with any fighting or moving activity, never in the middle of dialogue or what not. Also, more often than not, I make sure I am inside a small area before saving. It was a suggestion but I agree, still need to be critical of what's going on in the game whenever you save. I still believe the full save is preferable over auto and quick saving - and your explanation of why I disable those other save types fills my desire for a good reason to stick to only hard saves. The mod simply makes this easier and has proven to be a real time-saver for me. Thanks brotha! :)