Generic Perks for any character?

NudeSkyrim

Like the title says, are there any perks worth picking up no matter what build you're going for? One that stood out to me was just a few points in speech lets you bribe the guards. I save often so if I slip up I can just re-load, but I would imagine that perk coming in handy sometimes.

Any other ideas?

Well since no one has answered you - let's take this to another level then :P I'd suggest you think carefully when choosing skills, if you're archer definately go breast-eye, dual wielder, double strike - or if you prefer 2handed axes go cleavage shot, better update that two times, after that u have access to mages "Implant" skill.

No, there are no absolutely essential perks. It all depends on what kind of a character you are playing. MOST perks could be considered entirely optional, though ones that add extra functionality/options add a lot to the game (again, their value depends entirely on how you play). Just do what you want. There is no right or wrong, just go with what you feel you would like.

To be fair, the OP said nothing about perks that are absolutely essential, just perks that can be seen as making a useful contribution to a wide selection of builds. There is a difference. For example, a perk in Heavy Armor is going to be useful to only a small selection of builds -- mostly warrior or battle-mage builds -- while a perk in One Handed is going to be useful to many types of warrior, assassins, etc.

For my tastes, Speech is not one of those widely-useful categories. Unless one's characters tend to spend a lot of time playing on the shady side of the law, bribing guards is something one rarely, if ever, needs to do.

I have found that Archery is the one constant skill that is useful to all of my characters. There isn't much else that can reach a dragon who won't come down and go face-to-face with you, and there aren't always town guards around to fill him with arrows and force him down. Spell-casting can do it, but not very well at lower levels, so even my mage ended up putting perks into Archery. Even a powerful caster can find situations where the range of a bow makes things easier than trying to get into casting range first. Bows give even low-level characters a chance to snipe from a protected position or high point.

Otherwise, all of my characters have perked all three crafting disciplines. Almost all characters can benefit from Steel Smithing and Arcane Blacksmithing for basic ability to improve gear, except for absolutely pure mages who wear only cloth and never use a martial weapon. Being able to brew your own potions/poisons and enchant your own gear gives you more options than equipping yourself from random loot drops.

I'm afraid that ElricOf Grans is totally right regarding "essential perks", NudeSkyrim. This is one of the things that Bethesda was spot-on when they designed the perks, although their implementation fell a bit short in some of the details. There is no single perk that's "right for everyone".

Now, I do have one suggestion. You're either going to wear armor or you aren't. If you aren't, and you don't have one of the "armor spells" (like Oakflesh) from the Alteration School, then you're clearly suicidal. If you go with using magic for protection then I consider Mage Armor from the Alteration perk tree to be essential. The problem is that you have to also take the perks Novice Alteration and Apprentice Alteration before you can get that. If you're going to wear armor then by all means pour some points into either Light Armor or Heavy Armor, depending upon which route you go.

I, personally, consider Steel Smithing to be essential, since I never play a pure mage character, and even a pure mage could benefit from this. The advantage that improved steel weapons give you, at least early in the game, is important, and if you're into heavy armor, improved steel armor is very much superior to iron armor. Again, this is for early in the game. Later on the difference between various armors and weapons is so small, compared to the raw damage that is dealt out by higher level characters, that this perk loses its viability.

Getting Smithing up to level 20 so you can take this perk can probably be done right out the starting gate. Clear Embershard mine (on the way to Riverwood) and grab all the iron ore, there. Do some hunting on the way to Whiterun and use the hides you get to make leather. Smelt the ore into iron ingots (use the smelter right inside the front gate of Whiterun). Sell everything you don't need so you can buy up all the iron ore and iron ingots you can from the smith and the Warmaiden's shop right by the smelter. Grind smithing with iron daggers and leather bracers until you get Smithing up to level 20, making sure you save a perk for Steel Smithing. Then stop. You can level up too quickly by doing this, and you'll wind up with mediocre combat skills relative to your character level. This means your opponents will be much more survivable than you are.

Now, your question referred to useful, rather than "essential" perks, as BrettM pointed out, so I'll give you my take on that. Of course, everything I said, above, still counts.

I'm in agreement with BrettM with regard to Archery, for sure. Dragons are easiest to fight once they're land-bound, and you either need higher level "projectile" destruction magic or Archery to wound them enough to make that happen. For me, Archery is one of my most important survival skills. The ability to kill an oppnent at a distance, especially when contact with that opponent can cause diseases (skeevers and wolves are the main culprits) can be a life-saver at low levels before you can afford or make Cure Disease potions.

Speaking of potions, pour some points into Alchemy and you'll find that the potions and poisons you brew will be effective enough to actually use (and they can make you money, too). Getting the Arcane Enchanter perk lets you improve magic weapons -- important for just about anyone.

Do NOT concentrate upon crafting perks early in the game, though. Wait until around level 25 or 30 before you start getting heavily involved with filling out those trees. You really need to boost your basic combat and survival skills first, or you'll find yourself completely outstripped by your opponents in the early stages of the game and it will only get worse as you find yourself playing catch-up with your enemies who will have combat skills higher than yours. Choose a primary weapon, either one-handed or two-handed. Fill up either Barbarian or Armsman, depending upon your choice, and don't bother with the other. The additional damage you can do will frequently be the difference between success or failure in a fight. Even a mage can run out of magicka and find himself faced with a sword-wielding opponent. Forget the dagger. Get yourself a real weapon.

As a mage you are going to have to be able to deal out some damage. The mind-control spells simply will fail you at some point (when your enemy is higher level than the spell can effect) and you won't know it until it happens. The Destruction perk tree is vital for any mage, I think. Work toward getting Dual Casting and then Impact. Being able to stun-lock a particularly troublesome opponent will save your butt in many situations where you might find yourself overwhelmed.

Of course you are going to max out the trees that you use most often. But I would say that yes, there are perks that everyone should have.

If you plan on smithing AT ALL, you really just need to invest two points. One in the basic smithing perk and one in Arcane Smithing. Nearly all weapons and armor you get past level 30 are enchanted, and you MUST have this perk to improve them, even if only a little bit.

Everyone should invest a few points in Restoration. The most useful perk is the Respite perk, which is really important for keeping your stamina up. (although I have heard there is a glitch that makes this also restore enemy stamina?)

Besides that I would say no. Every perk is going to favor one fighting style or another. I have maxed the sneak perk tree and all the one-handed perks for dual wielding and blade. I have also maxed the marksmanship tree and a few other points here and there. But my character is primarily a sneaky bastard.

One point in restoration - no matter what your build it's almost certain you're going to be stuck somewhere in trouble, sprinting blind through caves from Falmer with no potions left and needing to heal yourself. Getting double your mileage out of even basic healing can make or break you.

One point in or two in Alchemy. First and possibly second perk. I know most don't find a lot of use for that tree but a couple of points, especially early on, can dramatically change the economics of how you play. Free potions (in large piles even) = more money to spend on other gear or even a house. Better potions = less potions you need to carry = more room to carry loot out of dungeons.

I'll agree with 1 point in smithing too. No matter who or what you play. Any sort of weapon using sort needs that point in smithing magic gear too.