Ended Stutter in Oblivion

pleasenoname

Thanks for the very informative post pleasenoname. Even though Oblivion is a 6 year old game, when fully modded it is capable of crippling any computer on the market. Your tweaks helped me squeeze in a few extra frames per second.

• 3 weeks later...

Does your computer monitor (LCD) have a DVI input? If so you may have better luck on DVI ... it's 'old school' digital, no DRM stuff to interfere with the digital signal.

I've got a couple of 19" CRT computer monitors laying around unused. I'm not sure I could ever go back to a non-wide screen format, plus after years of being spoiled by my 24" 1980 x 1200 I think the 19" would look small. I can't imagine how much desk space a 24" CRT would take up ... the 19" took up all available space.

Striker, I'm running on two 22" CRTs (Sony F500 & Mitsu2040), the former was kind of a holy grail find.. a corporate spare and never used, stored in a warehouse since 2001. When I got it last year the factory box had never been opened. Oblivion and just about everything else look amazing especially at 75Hz or higher. People forget, or at least I had forgotten all the benefits of CRTs.. stunning gamut and black levels, no ghosting issues, variable screen sizes and refresh rates etc. Yes it's as big and heavy as a dozen LCDs and yes I probably will eventually die from radiation poisoning. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I should mention before this thread becomes too old:

I put in a second 4890 recently and the two 4890's are in "Crossfire" now.

Initially the notorious Crossfire micro stutter was horrible, however I was able to adjust settings in "AMD VISION Control Center". Now I run the game without stutter with 8x Anisotropic Filtering and 2x Anti-Aliasing (I don't like the blurriness of Anti-Aliasing, that is why I only put it on 2x). I was running at 16x Anisotropic Filtering. However the detail was too good and made some low resolution textures stand out. Also it was using a lot of resources for a very slight texture improvement over 8x. You have to uncheck the box for "Use application settings" for these filters (Anisotropic and Anti-Aliasing) to work with HDR lighting.

To get the micro stutter from crossfire stopped I went into AMD VISION Control Center-->3D Application Settings(Under the "Gaming" tab). I experimented with all the settings for some time before turning "Catalyst A.I." to "Advanced".

Next I realized that "Wait for vertical refresh" was kind of like a second VSynch. So I turned that setting all the way to "Performance" (thus disabling it) and was able to eliminate micro stutter. It will say "Always Off" under the slider bar for it.

I set "AMD CrossfireX TM Mode for 3D Applications" to "Default Mode". This is because Oblivion is not designed to alternate frame render (it will cause flashing of shadows if you try it).

I kept the "Triple buffering" box under "OpenGL" checked.

Also remember to save the application profile that you just created. A window will open when you do. Find the "Oblivion.exe" and click that, then click open. Make sure not to pick the Launcher's exe.

I was able to set "iFPSClamp=" back to zero in the .ini file (Though I do enjoy the superspeed of "iFPSClamp=40"). VSynch is still enabled in the Oblivion Launcher.

Edited by pleasenoname