About the use of Windows XP in 2108

I’m a user of Windows XP up till today. While asking for the date released of an announced 32 bits version of an essential tool for Modding, I’ve been, kind of, mocked for being the only one in this world still using it.

After making some researches, I found out that I’m not the only one. :smile:

XP is 16 years old. Microsoft stopped providing security support on April 8, 2014.
According to statistics from Net Applications (April- May 2017), it's actually the third most popular operating system globally, with 7.04% market share.
http://www.businessinsider.fr/uk/windows-xp-third-most-popular-operating-system-in-the-world-2017-5/

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zgt3ba.jpg

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

That means an out-of-date, unsupported operating system is more popular than any version of Windows 8, any version of Mac OS X, and Linux.

A three-year old studies suggest there are around 2 billion PCs in use around the world - a number that is sure to have gone up since then.
Even so, that would put the number of machines running Windows XP at a staggering 140 million around the world.
Part of it might be ATM and other closed system but still…

I can’t afford to buy a new computer, really. But if I could I’m not sure I would.
When my system will die, Modding will be over for me.

I’m Modding FO3 exclusively, I’m playing NV from time to time and the other games I’m playing are old 32 bits games. Everything is particularly stable.

When I see the countless threads with problems regarding the use of FO3 or FNV with 7, 8 and now Windows 10, I feel quite blessed.

My box, with no Internet connection and thus plenty of useless Services disconnected and no AV, is running smooth.
I don’t need to update it, so it’s kind of “optimized”.
Every program I use is compatible and provides the tool I need. I don’t need newer versions.
My outdated closed system has never prevented me to play, Mod , helping people or create resources and share them.

So, should I feel bad for it?

My specs:

CPU: IntelCore Quad Q9400 @ 2.67 GHz.
Ram : 3GB
GPU : AMD Radeon HD 6800 series
SSD for Programs 120 Gb
SSD for Games 120 Gb
HDD for Data1 500 Gb
HDD for Data2 500 Gb
HDD for Data3 250 Gb

Several external HDD for backups.

If you don't connect to the internet windows XP will do fine, no need to update.

I think almost every ATM in the world runs on XP embedded, but that version is still supported by microsoft.

I'm really surprised by the 6.9% that still uses Windows 8.1 You could upgrade to 10 for free why wouldn't you from 8.1?

Edited by Erik005

pixelhate, whatever works imo. I don't know if your articles mention that China alone is responsible for a major chunk of XP's current global market share. It's the standard OS found in that country, and they have no copyright or IP issues to contend with so one copy of XP is good enough for over a billion people.

If you're still around in 2108, I recommend that you feel no hesitation about using Windows XP. Any infection is still a probabilistic effect, and with your Luck maxed out, you have nothing to worry about.

XP is not "popular", there's simply a large number of users, as in overwhelming majority, who would've had zero idea how to upgrade it, if they were aware of such a concept at all.

I just had a customer come in to work yesterday, to get her Windows 98 laptop going again....... It seems her program for her sewing machine won't run on anything newer, and the manufacturer never bothered to come out with an updated app.... Fair few older CNC machines have the same issue. They need DOS, and DOSBox simply won't cut it. So, they are stuck with truly outdated hardware, because of their older hardware. :)

I just had a customer come in to work yesterday, to get her Windows 98 laptop going again....... It seems her program for her sewing machine won't run on anything newer, and the manufacturer never bothered to come out with an updated app.... Fair few older CNC machines have the same issue. They need DOS, and DOSBox simply won't cut it. So, they are stuck with truly outdated hardware, because of their older hardware. :smile:

The Dutch government gives a lot of money to microsoft to support XP machines that control critical infrastructure like bridges, pumps, dams and road signalling.

It cost's a lot of money but without it I would be 3m under water right now :laugh:

This is why closed source software should never be used or considered for life-critical tasks. It's fine for entertainment, fine for creating and editing entertainment content, but its doctrine simply isn't compatible with the fundamental requirements of industrial and infrastructure control systems.

This is why closed source software should never be used or considered for life-critical tasks. It's fine for entertainment, fine for creating and editing entertainment content, but its doctrine simply isn't compatible with the fundamental requirements of industrial and infrastructure control systems.

Trouble is, no one writes closed source software for things like water plants, or treatment plants, energy distribution, etc. You know, those things the government want software for......

They do. In my limited experience, as much as 30% of that software is completely closed source, and about 80% if you include semi-closed, i.e. transferred to the admin of the responsible department, but not disclosed otherwise. In most cases, re-compilation is possible, it's just nowhere in the procedures.