What can I do to cripple the Black-Briar family?

Omeletter

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, sure, Anya29 ... marry Maven? And maybe take on Delphine as a concubine? If that's not enough to drive any self-respecting Dovahkiin to seppuku, I don't know what is. Or, maybe just have Master Einarth "Fus-Ro-Dah" my butt off the top of High Hrothgar so I don't spend the rest of my eternity on the Hill of Suicides. Oh, wait. That's in Shivering Isles, isn't it?

I detest the Black-Briar family (along with the Silverblood family). There are entire families in Skyrim I'd like to see eliminated, and these are two of them. Unfortunately, with Maven, you can't. Bethesda made her essential for a reason. There's a chance, depending upon how you handle a certain quest, that she can become Jarl of Riften. Killing her could seriously break the game.

That said, for those of us who aren't interested in preserving even the main quest (I don't much like the Blades, either), I'd love to see a mod that makes it possible to actually cripple Maven -- to put her on the streets begging for spare coins. All the "role-playing" stuff people have been suggesting don't really affect Maven at all. So you steal her prize horse. She's still rich. So you become head of the Thief's Guild and Dark Brotherhood. This doesn't affect her one iota in terms of what happens in the game. It's all empty promise, with no real effect.

Oh i dispise the silverbloods...but they get what is comming to them with the Foresworn....

>_> i'd like to see the king in rags put on the Mournful throne if you join Ulfric's side... just because the current rulers of Malkarth betrayed him...

Marry her and share the joy instead.

Absolutely. Marry Maven and she will turn from a scheming power-broker to a spiritless milk-drinker who runs around calling you dear and offering to cook for you. Maybe this is why she can't be married; she knows its a trap! ;)

That will work, mattlittlej, but just be aware of the following:

1) If you're involved in the Thieves Guild make sure you've completed the quest "Dampened Spirits", because Maven plays a pivotal role in it..

2) If you're going to do the quest "Promises to Keep" and you're going to rat out Louis, then you will have to talk to Maven. If you're going to keep Frost it might be possible for Maven to be dead or non-existent, but I wouldn't trust the game's robustness in being able to offer a quest option involving a character who isn't available. Probably best to complete this quest first.

3) If you trade Riften for Markarth in the quest "Season Unending", Maven will become the Jarl of Riften. If she doesn't exist this could very well bring the game to a grinding halt.

4) If you side with the Imperials in "Reunification of Skyrim", Maven will become the Jarl of Riften. See (3).

5) Maven is the quest-giver for "The Pursuit"

Those are the only quests I can think of right off the top of my head in which Maven must be alive. There might be others in which she has a part to play, as well. As you can see, there are some very good reasons that she's flagged "essential".

I was thinking about this for a while. What could you do to the Black-Briars to really make them suffer. What would have to be done, is not a death sentance per say, assassination. That's the way they would expect to be taken out. No, on the contrary. I think a better way to truely make them suffer is to do just the opposite. Take all their undermining, deciept, corruption, lawlessness, lack of honor and integrity and use it all against them.

What I speak of, is make Maven a follower and donate her to the Blades. I don't want a spoiler here, but I'm sure most know what I am talking about. She will still be around for quests but far from power and provential ties. She'd fit right into the blades, except they actually do have some honor and a legitimate code that they follow. Albiet, not exactly to the liking of most, but rest assured, Maven would rather take the leap from Bards Rock then be subjected to being an underling for that rag-tag group of long forgotten "defenders".

Edited by Brandy_123

• 3 months later...
The Silverbloods too. We need a Beat Them Racketeers mod. Or something better than that, so if you finish the quest, someone else takes over the meadery and you see Maven going around in ragged robes, begging for a septim or two, or living in the Ratway. But to do it well you'd need voice actors I guess.