Glossyness headache...

Urwy

Do you have both an environment map and an environment mask map created and set up in the correct slots?

you need to darken the _m not the environment map itself

ah, sorry 'bout that : thats what i meant :blush: the specular map (_M) is the darkened part. And i dont even touch the environment map. :)

_m textures are not a specular map. They are a mask texture that masks the reflection map effect on a per pixel basis. it's only similar to a specular map in that it allows you to have more than one material definition on one texture (set). If you black the whole thing then the environment map effect will be completely masked and not visible at all, but works independently to specular reflections.

Specular map is in the normal maps alpha channel. What that does is actually modify the pixel on the diffuse map to be lighter depending on how much light is reflected off it towards the camera and how bright the spec maps pixel is.

Edited by Ghogiel

Glad you're getting it sorted out :thumbsup: ... Skyrim always displays Diffuse textures brighter than they appear either in your Graphics program or Nifskope, I usually darken my final textures by a couple of points, just above the level where you look and say "that's too dark! I can't even see it!" You do a LOT of opening/closing Skyrim to get it just right.

Do you have both an environment map and an environment mask map created and set up in the correct slots?

you need to darken the _m not the environment map itself

ah, sorry 'bout that : thats what i meant :blush: the specular map (_M) is the darkened part. And i dont even touch the environment map. :)

_m textures are not a specular map. They are a mask texture that masks the reflection map effect on a per pixel basis. it's only similar to a specular map in that it allows you to have more than one material definition on one texture (set). If you black the whole thing then the environment map effect will be completely masked and not visible at all, but works independently to specular reflections.

Specular map is in the normal maps alpha channel. What that does is actually modify the pixel on the diffuse map to be lighter depending on how much light is reflected off it towards the camera and how bright the spec maps pixel is.

:O Well..... thanks for clearing that misunderstanding! :blush: I dont know where i went wrong and got the wrong idea, but glad you pointed it out :)

Glad you're getting it sorted out :thumbsup: ... Skyrim always displays Diffuse textures brighter than they appear either in your Graphics program or Nifskope, I usually darken my final textures by a couple of points, just above the level where you look and say "that's too dark! I can't even see it!" You do a LOT of opening/closing Skyrim to get it just right.

Yeah, when i darkened the diffuse i had exactly the same thought! "Darn, that's probably way too dark, but we'll see how it looks ingame"....and what followed was a frenzy of starting and closing Skyrim :laugh: