Vortex and SKSE64

schradeunderscore

This is extremely odd, when I try to find the executable through vortex (Skse , edit) the folders are different than in file explorer. None of the .exe files show up, am I supposed to just select the folder

(C:)/Program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim special edition ?

When I select that folder the button for "make primary" still says "Not configured" and when I attempt to run the game through skse.loader it still gives me an error message.

I hate to admit that the installation for skse has never been simple for me, I have never been able to get it to work properly the first time, this is my third time retrying it after a long skyrim hiatus. I've been able to make it work before however...

Whats more irritating is that every video I watch is different, and everyone seems to make assumptions about what your PC is set up like.

With what dialog in Vortex are you searching for the game? If you use the "Manual Select Location" button in the game detection dialog, you actually have to select a DIRECTORY, not an exe file. That's why there are no files displayed in the selection dialog, you only have to navigate into the game's folder and press ok there.

I've been working at this for a while and eventually figured that out, but thank you. I went through the knowledge base and did everything to a T but vortex still launches steam

I hate to admit that the installation for skse has never been simple for me, I have never been able to get it to work properly the first time, this is my third time retrying it after a long skyrim hiatus. I've been able to make it work before however...

Whats more irritating is that every video I watch is different, and everyone seems to make assumptions about what your PC is set up like.

Did you read the installation instructions included in the zip file for SKSE.

It makes installation really easy.

I've been trying to make it work for vortex and have been following the instructions included in the knowledge base, but Skse is still "not configured" and launching through vortex still opens steam

I am running both skse loader and vortex as admin

I've deleted all instances of skse files (except for the archive on my desktop) from my pc and am launching through vortex.

Trying to launch the skse loader directly from file manager comes up with an error message saying that skyrimse.exe cannot be found...

I'm giving up on trying to configure skse with vortex, so I'm uninstalling and going with the instructions in the readme as you suggested.

PirateBootyleg:

You might not be aware that Steam has to be running for Skyrim (or any other Bethesda game) to start.

Usually, if you start the main .exe, this is done automatically: If you start SkyrimSE.exe, and Steam is not already running, SkyrimSE.exe will start Steam and then shutdown itself. Steam is instructed to start Skyrim, so everything works seemlessly.

However, if you start skse_loader.exe, the same thing happens - only that Steam is always starting the base game without SKSE.

To get around this, start Steam first and let it run in the background. Then start skse_loader to start Skyrim in SKSE mode.

By the way, that's completely unrelated to Vortex.

• 3 weeks later...

I presume that setting up SKSE64 with Vortex is essentially similar to setting up SKSE with NMM and MO, i.e. copy the SKSE executables into the Skyrim SE game folder, and then packaging up the scripts into a "mod" that Vortex can install. Is that correct, or is there a way to make Vortex handle the entire process?

I think you're right...and I also think this is the BEST summation of what it is we are actually doing when installing SKSE. THANK YOU. Now I get it. WHen Installed it I just followed Gopher's (bless him) instructions, but wasn't sure what I was doing in a nutshell.... gracias.