How to update mods correctly?

Hilli1

After installing the first about 600 SSE mods in Vortex I made an search run for updates today. I assume Vortex is looking for the version number on the main page of the mod and compares with the last install. When not matching Vortex shows an update.

Twelve updates were found. In my case there were two "real" hits only. The rest were false flags because of different reasons.

Without any problems was one mod. One of the two correct updates found was the mod "Legacy of the Dragonborn" (# 11802). However during updating the next problem occured: I wanted to use the update file only (to avoid downloading the new complete large file). However I found only the possibilities to replace the complete old file or to rename the file and make a new install with a different name. I did not find a possibility to INTEGRATE an update in the old file like MO2 does.

I found this problem as well when installing some mods where an update was offered only as an small update file. Examples: Legendary Armors - Bikini SSE Beta (# 2309) or Immersive Jewelry SSE (# 5336). I ended up installing these updates manually and integrated them into the mod folder manually. After that I changed the version number in Vortex manually. I expected that the mod is no longer marked for update however this is not the case. Manually changing the version number does not change the version number Vortex is "seeing". When I go with the cursor over the update massage I still see the old version number. All mods installed this way are still marked for update.

Sometimes an author did not match the version numbers correctly or forgot to specifiy a version number to a file: Examples: Skyrim More Inns (#1018) or Realistic HD Tree LOD Textures (# 4163). In these cases I would type in the version number manually. However because Vortex does not "see" this updated version number I still have several mods marked for update and the list will be longer and longer with the time beeing.

The next thing is, when I type in the version number manually Vortex accepts only numbers which go conform with the "semantic versioning" like 1.2.0. Divergent version numbers Vortex does not record.

Furthermore I did not find a possibility to say "Ignore the update" (again like MO2 does). Sometimes I don't want an update for reasons. This could be the case also when the mod author forgot to update the main page with the new version number, however the file has an updated number. For instance the main page still says 2.0 and the file for downloading is 2.1. I don't have a current example right now but in my experience it happens frequently. Not tested but based on the experience made with Vortex I assume Vortex would think 2.0 is "right" and would "update" from 2.1 to 2.0. Correct me when I'm wrong. These would be a case when I want to hit the inexistent button "Ignore the update".

Regarding updating the mods I see strongly need for action to solve the named issues.

Manually changing the version number does not change the version number Vortex is "seeing". When I goes with the cursor over the update massage I still see the old version number. All mods installed this way are still marked for update.

This sounds like a bug to me. Tried restarting VO?i think i'm going to call vortex `VO` from now on On my end i need to restart VO for it to recognize manual changes.

Also there are a lot of mods not adhering to the version semantics of VO, namely by using strings, date etc. Would like to see freestyle-version-schemes make a comeback. same for the "Source" field - let us fill in our own strings to keep track where we acquired a mod from.

Without any problems was one mod. One of the two correct updates found was the mod "Legacy of the Dragonborn" (# 11802). However during updating the next problem occured: I wanted to use the update file only (to avoid downloading the new complete large file). However I found only the possibilities to replace the complete old file or to rename the file and make a new install with a different name. I did not find a possibility to INTEGRATE an update in the old file like MO2 does.

Yeah this should probably be a thing for sure.

After more testing I have some other remarks:

After updating a mod and choosing to replace the old mod I expected that Vortex replaces the FILES of the mod and not the complete mod shown in the mods tab of Vortex. When I install a mod I often change the mod name and the category. Mod name, category and all mod data should be taken over from the old version. However after updating the mod, Vortex introduced a complete new file and I had to change mod name and category again. In my opinion, after updating a mod the only thing that should change in Vortex is the version number.

Beyond that the old version of the mod appeared after updating the mod suddenly as a blue uninstalled button, what means never installed. This is... strange.

Coming from MO2 maybe I don't understand the updating feature of Vortex right. Compared to MO2 the complete updating procedure of mods in Vortex in the current state is... what is the right word... I don't know. Let's say regarding mod updates, MO2 is currently far superior to Vortex. I know Vortex is alpha and I really hope that this feature will be improved. In the current state it is not a progress. Far from it.

At least I would like to say one word to the auto update button in Vortex. Tannin, could you clarify what happens when I use the update button and Vortex finds only a update file that needs to integrated (like in the examples above). I think Vortex would replace the complete mod with the update file and the rest of the mod gets lost. Am I wrong with this assumption? At the moment I would recommend, ALWAYS go to the Nexus page and choose the right file for download.

If you don't have monthly-membership status, you have no option besides going to the page and manually starting the download yourself. Downloads from within Vortex will only be available to Premium members.

Yes, that's true. But I would not recommend to use this feature from Vortex because of the reasons named above.

After going trough my mod list I noticed that the update-filter on the mods-page does not work correctly. Selecting "Update available" in the version-column shows mods which have the button "Mod can be updated" (the "cloud" button) only. When there is a second button, e.g. when besides the "cloud" button is a changelog button, the mod is not shown when selecting Update available. The same is true when there is the button "mod can be updated (but you will have to pick the file yourself)".

After more testing I have some other remarks:

After updating a mod and choosing to replace the old mod I expected that Vortex replaces the FILES of the mod and not the complete mod shown in the mods tab of Vortex. When I install a mod I often change the mod name and the category. Mod name, category and all mod data should be taken over from the old version. However after updating the mod, Vortex introduced a complete new file and I had to change mod name and category again. In my opinion, after updating a mod the only thing that should change in Vortex is the version number.

That's a bug in my book. Don't forget to report it via the internal feedback thing. btw i wish we had a public bugzilla of some sorts, cause it feels i send feedback directly into a shredder =P