What's the deal with texture replacement and overwrites?

Wolfmod

I've been playing Skyrim since it was first released and I've been using mods since then as well. So what is going on with SSE? I ask this because the same rules don't seem to apply. In Oldrim, I'd download a custom follower and the creator would outline on his description page all the files you had to have in order to get the follower in his/her screenshots. He/She would not only list the files but give the order in which they had to be installed and their load order. However, this doesn't seem to be happening anymore. So I have all these custom followers and housecarl replacers and they all seem to have problems. I installed the CBBE body - the followers were all CBBE so that was fine. I then installed "fair complexions for CBBE" followed by "Seductive Lips HD SE Edition", then Apachi Hair, and finally "The eyes of beauty" for both the PC and NPCs. Unfortunately, all the NPCs (not the player) have the whites of their eyes stark white. I have other issues like half the NPCs have really low definition skin with grey shadows. It's horrible.

My question is: what has changed? How must users who became quite deft at weaving mods over Old Skyrim adapt and how do we get good results now? What is going on?