Why am i SO BORED with this game?

insatiablelust

I had been thinking this too, but could not put my finger on what was `wrong' with the game. It *is* just Oblivion with better graphics, and having played Oblivion to death I am just not able to get as much into Skyrim. Probably the biggest issue is that I was a late adopter of Oblivion, so I played it *heavily* modded from very early on. Compared to heavily-modded Oblivion, Skyrim does feel lacking. Ah well, I have no doubt mods will eventually resolve this, so I am happy to sit back and wait.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been bored too for something like 3 weeks. Then I decided to re-install it completely; I removed all my mods and downloaded only a few, just some gameplay mods. I decided to make side quests and to explore Skyrim with my three followers. I really felt like immersed in the game. I think this is the issue: the immersion. Once you have the feeling that you ARE in the game, you won't be bored, and that's why I don't make any new save. Doing the same quest breaks the immersion in my opinion...

I decided to look for constant new goal. I just finished the Civil War after some epic battles with my fellow Stormcloaks and my followers, but before that I took the time to explore dungeons and to make little side quests to buy equipments for my companions. This was very enjoyable and exciting. Just take your time, explore, look at the beautiful landscape... Feel like if you were in the game

If killing stuff is all you wanna do... play something else sheesh -.-

I can personally direct you to a bunch of mindless games that require any kind of though wich i'm sure you aren't capable of in the first pls, so feel free to PM if you want those games.

Are we playing the same game, because a large part of skyrim is about all the action, thats why they didnt bothered making a journal with depth and made you just follow an arrow on the map.

Edited by pavy

Its actually less than Oblivion with better graphics. Its just better graphics, with most of the fundamental mechanics of the series missing.

I can just imagine how linear and dumbed down the next Fallout, or ES will be.

Edited by Fortunado3

The graphics with the right texture mods is nice, getting past the pretty landscape and immersed into the game is the problem.

Reading the comment by David Jaffe at D.I.C.E on "storytellers" in the gaming industry pretty much sums up the problem. Something about a comparison to a good storyteller chosing to work in the gaming industry being akin to a top chef chosing to work at MacDaddys - with a few F-bombs thrown in for emphasis.

I just realised another thing I find boring about this game. Nothing matters. Absolutely nothing you do has any impact on the game world. Starting the main quest releases dragons upon the world, but nothing changes as you continue or complete it. Almost nothing changes if you advance the civil war plot. The other faction plots make no changes to the world outside their very halls (and, even then, the changes are minor). In Oblivion, I felt that my meddling had an impact on the world, but Skyrim lacks this. I also do not have the Grand Master/Champion of Cyrodiil/Listener and Grey Fox being called a pansy when I first enter the Arena either ( :) ), but still. I am not looking for a Bioware style plot --- wrong game --- but this is my sandbox and I wanna build the castles I want, damn it!

Skyrim does not so much let you weave the threads of an intricate tapestry as it lets you scribble on top of a pre-existing tapestry with crayons. The player's impact on the world is minimal at best, and at the end of a 160 hour playthrough the world is still pretty much the exact same place it was when you started, just a few lines of dialogue has changed in-between.

Do player actions have an impact in any sandbox game? Did killing pedestrians and cops have an impact in GTA? It has more of an impact in Skyrim than in GTA, but the problem is the core gameplay is still the same as Oblivion. You are still a prisoner who is given great responsibility, who becomes the leader of various guilds after completing a couple of missions, who runs around gathering useless loot, killing leveled enemies. You still have a world littered with loot that in reality serves absolutely for nothing. It's just there for show. You still have towns with a few houses that have absolutely no practical purpose. It's better than, GTA, for instance, cause you can enter those houses, but there's nothing to do there except maybe steal worthless crap that won't make you rich (and there's really nothing to spend money on anyway) and murder the residents. And that's the problem with Oblivionrim: it's a basket of plastic fruits. It looks pretty but you can't eat it. That applies to the leveling up system too. I'm on my 3rd playthrough, about to enter the Thalmor embassy. I don't know what level my character has, and I don't care, because even the leveling up system is a basket of plastic fruits.

Well i havent played Oblivion but Skyrim has left me with mixed feelings at its best, Like the op i am making new chars over and over and at around level 35ish-40ish i start over again.

I have a pretty good pc and the world has left me speechless multiple times. Its a huge and awesome looking world. Its the best looking game i have ever seen with the mods i am using. But whats the point in having it if you dont really have to go explore it in order to finish the game or improve your character? Leveling system and professions are completely lame and they drain the fun out of the game.

As weird as it might sound this game needs some linearity and a "limit" on character progression.

2 professions of your choice as limit besides the combat skills. You can practice the rest also at low skill lvl but without perks or leveling through them

Complete reworking of the talent trees, Extremely boring and ridiculous op on their current state. % based enchants that stack ftl. lame just lame. You have to intentionally gimp yourself in order to keep enjoying some challenge.

Static world. How silly is to have the world circle around your hero?

Deeper combat system. Who doesn't like rpg's with 3-4 abilities.,,

Companions that can make an impact. I dont even use them because i can kill them by mistake on high levels...

A lvl cap

A few mods try to address certain issues and fix the scaling and while doing a good work on the world the profession/skill leveling utter crap kicks in again and drains all the fun after a certain lvl. You sneeze and ding pretty much. A monstrous warrior with a tremendous shield and a terrifying sword picking locks and sneaking while pickpocketing guards that look at you on master difficulty. What a load of crap really.

People crucify linear games but a fully open world - when you dont even get to see 1/10 of it because no matter what you do you become god on the same point every single try you make - is even worse imo. Talking about Groundhog Day

Its a magnificent world such a shame they didn't had another company make the gameplay.

Edited by balander