easier way to uninstall manually installed content?!

Transient3292

maybe I'm overlooking something, but uninstalling a mod like interesting npc's is a massive feat. Is there an easier way than going through the thousands, upon thousands of scripts added by this mod?

At this point I'd wager that Ive accidently uninstalled some other scripts.after spending lots of time being very careful, I ended up sorting the folder by date, and hoping that no other scripts were modified on 10/4/2017.

I'm starting a new game, but I'm not extremely informed about how scripts work. should I basically reinstall all of my mods and verify the integrity of my vanilla game files?

do what I do, use NMM as a download client and MO2 as the manager.

First to answer your issue: copy your entire data folder as well as your NMM folder; I know it sounds absurd but hey this is what you want.. name tthose copied xx(where xx be its name)_original. Now fire up your NMM and uninstall all of your mods via the tools, click uninstall all mods; note the remaining files in your folder, those be what were manually installed.

when you're done noting it wipe your folders and paste in those xx_originals go through your folder and search for those files you noted down. if that doesn't work, well you're s#*! out of luck.. may I suggest you use MO2 on a fresh install?

If you are considering upon switching over, it doesn't mean NMM will be over, it will still have its uses.

Here's how, assuming you haven't done anything, go into your NMM folders and locate the category and profile folder/files and delete them; those categories will do you more to confuse you more than anything. Fire up NMM let it do its things, when prompted to associate categories click no, again don't use the category. Afterwards, left click the Unassigned category and click new category and title it "Installed via NMM" category will manage where things that aren't capable of being installed through MO2 vfx, such as TK Dodge, goes.

Use your NMM as the main download manager / file bank, and your MO2 as your game manager. Port only the files you will be actively using to MO2 and remove those that you don't from it. When used properly, becomes an especially powerful and equally beneficial to you because you will no longer be forced to store all your files, both file bank (aka the originals) and vfx (the virtual copies) in the same drive, effectively doubling your storage capabilities. It also has the secondary effect of improving your overall file integrity if you should mistakenly f' up along the ways with SSEDIT/the like and mistakenly (quite easily might I add) wipe out your file bank's files. (And should that happen, MO2 will still show your install folders regardless of whether the files are inside them, so you simply have to rightclick and reinstall, no huss, no fuss, whereas if you were just MO2, you'd be pretty much be s#*! out of luck).

I personally been using this method. I store all my mods into my external backup SSD where Nexus mods is located, and port the mods I use to MO2 which is stored on my internal SSD.

Regardless, hope it helps somehow, glhf.

I'll look over this in detail when I get to my pc. I definitely appreciate you taking the time to give me a better option. I did already get it sorted, not in the most ideal way. I think i did delete some scripts intentionally. Im pretty good at paying attention to detail, so finding the files was not a problem, until I got to the scripts folder. everything from every mod is just in one big folder , and interesting npcs adds some thousands of scripts. I did reinstall everything again after my little mishap becuae i ran into issues right after finishing the uninstall.

I pretty much always download manually, and then install through NMM. I didn't do that with inpc because the last time I tried it, nmm froze up while importing it.

at this point, I've started over so many times on the last couple weeks, and re worked my list, aND tested, and tested so damn much , there's absolutely not way I'm starting over again before I play the game for a while with my current list. your method will be bookmarked and most likely used in the future though.

Edited by wanderer3292

To uninstall a manually installed mod:

Locate the archive file for the mod in question

Extract its contents to a clean folder

Copy the contents

Paste them to the game

In essence, manually re-install

Then before doing anything else, RIGHT CLICK within the target folder (typically data folder) and choose to Undo Copy.

This will remove all the files you just copied and overwrote.

Things to be concerned about:

The mod removed may have overwritten files from another mod. In which case, that other mod needs to be re-installed.

This may not be a 100% removal of a mod due to any updates installed along the way. Might have to repeat the process with previous versions if still available.

Easiest solution: Follow STEP guide to reverting to a clean 'vanilla' game and use a mod manager.