Skyrim Needs a Hardcore Weight System!

rowtjack07

Skyrim Realistic Weight Overhaul

I am starting my third play through for Skyrim, and this time I am playing as a full on archer/hunter/survivalist. I am using mods that make me need to eat, drink and sleep. I am using mods that make it so I get cold and wet, and need to put on the layers to stay alive in the cold harsh environment that is Skyrim. I am even using mods that give me camping gear, reduce the timescale, remove fast travelling and disable level scaling. In summary, and more real, and much more difficult experience.

Though, even after all of this, I feel there is one thing missing. This is of course you can tell from reading the title, is a new and real weight system. Skyrim needs a realistic weight system for players like me, the players that like to role play, and have a new and challenging experience. Unfortunately, I don't know how to create this experience, but I hope others may.

How It Would Be Done:

Reduced Carry Weight Limit:

First of all the games carry limit needs to be reduced, dramatically! I believe a standard character would start with approximately 200 weight limit, that's heaps, especially if you are playing as an Elf, or an old man! With this one can carry approximately:

.5 sets of armour

.5 large weapons

.And all the food, misc items, books, ingredients, and books one would need to survive a week!

So I propose that the beginning carry weight limit is reduced. The limit should start at approximately 50, with some variance between race, such as:

.Orcismer - 60

.Bosmer - 45

Then, stamina should only give the character 2 extra point of carry weight, instead of 5. this is because by level 35 the character would have approximately 225 carry weight with 5 extra carry weight per level and the use of stamina every level. And with 2 carry weight per level the charter would only have 120, much more realistic.

Finally, with the reduced carry weight, the following would occur:

Reduced Carry Weight Limit > Less items able to carry > More difficult to make money due to the restricted loot grab > More difficult and slower game. Yay!

Side note, adding weight to all items such as gold coins would be nice.

Space System:

Finally, this will be the much more difficult thing to accomplish, a spacing system. I can pretty much guarantee that this would require scripting to accomplish.

The game needs a system that acknowledges the size of the items you pick up, so that you don't carry unrealistic amounts of large items. This can be seen as a problem when somebody is carrying 30 sets of armour, no matter how light.

So the system would need:

.A size (space) scale

.A limit to how much size (space) a character has

.Size values for all items and therefore how much space they take up.

Generally the size (space) of an item would be determined by their item classification, and therefore the general order would be:

.Weapons and armour: Shields > chest pieces > large weapons > rest of armour pieces > small weapons

.Books

.Food

.Potions

.Misc Items

.Ingredients

.Scrolls and papers

And that's it!

Edited by rowtjack07

I totally agree. There should be a space system which only allows for example one set of heavy armor, 2 one-handed weapons and so on (no matter if quipped or in inventory). You won't be able to carry 10 swords and still fight without problems, although you might be able to carry the weight of 10 swords.

Just simplify it with the inventory slot concept. Regardless of of item type and weight, each will take up space thus when it runs out, you can't stash more. Leveling up simply adds to the slot. Very much like Diablo 2 I guess...

That would not be realistic. I mean, can you imagine to wear a plate armor, then carry one complete armor on your back or wherever and be still able to fight? Carrying even one single heavy armor set additionaly to the one you wear is unrealistic.

That would not be realistic. I mean, can you imagine to wear a plate armor, then carry one complete armor on your back or wherever and be still able to fight? Carrying even one single heavy armor set additionaly to the one you wear is unrealistic.

Yes, it would not be completely realistic, but it would be much more realistic than a skinny old man wearing a full et of heavy armour whilst carrying 30 set of armour and 30 heavy weapons, and all the food to feed him for a month! I guess you can say that it is a compramise, meeting halfway between completly real but impossible to play, and completely unrealistic and therefoe extremely easy to play. Thats why you can call it hardcore, with special emphisis on the 'hard', not impossiblecore, ahaha. :)

So I guess the first tep would just be making a quick mod that changes the total carry weight for a character, and maybe putting a cap at 180-200 or something. I am given to understand that this isn't too difficult, but the Ceation Kit doesn't work on my PC for some reason, so would anybody be willing to do this? and then post on the Nexus once you are done. It would also be good to put a comment on this Forum Topic so those who are interested can know.