The Titanic was a real ship!

IndorilTheGreat

The only thing that I know of which was changed, was the number of lifeboats required.

Hardly a world changing watershed moment.

I think you're misunderstanding what "saadus" is saying. The Titanic received so much publicity when it was built, stating that it was the "Unsinkable ship." And because of all this publicity (and how much of an engineering marvel she was back in her day), people actually believed that she was indeed unsinkable. Because of this belief, people got arrogant. When people get arrogant, the universe decides to show them up.

It's not about the new protocols and safety features that are on modern-day ships, but rather about the idea that no human being is above nature and the laws of physics.

Take for example, the collapse of the 35W Bridge - people did not suddenly come up with brand new and far-out ideas because of this tragedy. They did, however, pay far closer attention and detail to their work.

Edited by IndorilTheGreat

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that I know of which was changed, was the number of lifeboats required.

also new regulations about radio operators

(a ship in sight never responded because the radio operator went to bed)

and just for fun

this event was the first actual emergency use of the catch phrase

SOS

Dont trust me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changes_in_safety_practices_after_the_sinking_of_the_RMS_Titanic

Now going back to the TOPIC, yeah a lot of ppl(very young) dont know nothing about the titanic(besides the movie) and i would say is not their fault, at least here the educational system sucks hard and i blame the parents for that, they dont care about their childrens education at all, they expect that the goberment do all the work and thats not how the things work u know. And yes the titanic change something maybe not for you or for me, but for the ppl of that time, so lets chill out about what some ppl think is important ok :3

@Indoril: that is all well and good, I certainly don't disagree. But it's not my point. What I'm saying is that the Titanic is not a huge watershed moment for the world. It didn't change the face of the planet, it didn't cause maps to be redrawn. It effected maritime law, it was over a hundred years ago. It's largely irrelevant today for most people. Ignorance isn't that big of a deal and totally understandable.

The Titanic is not a huge watershed moment for the world. It didn't change the face of the planet, it didn't cause maps to be redrawn. It effected maritime law, it was over a hundred years ago. It's largely irrelevant today for most people. Ignorance isn't that big of a deal and totally understandable.

It depends. Here where I'm from, a good knowledge of world history is considered common knowledge. Even stuff you and many others consider "ignorable" is actually considered common knowledge, like creating basic chemical compounds, extensive knowledge of technical drawings, advanced mathematics, multiple foreign languages, knowledge of mechanics, electronics and high-voltage systems, reading and understanding wiring diagrams, etc. And all that is what we learn in school before we go to middle school.

Not knowing about Titanic, the world's most well known ship which was branded "the safest" and it sank on it's first trip, the event that changed ship designs and naval safety protocols for years to come, would make you a dumba** here. Even when you watch the movie, there are big-a** letters at the end of it saying that the movie was based on a real event. So I say no, ignorance of your own history is not understandable, it's actually pathetic and something to laugh at.

The fact that Titanic's sinking didn't change the face of the earth doesn't mean it's an event we should ignore and forget about. Going by that logic we should forget about more than half of the human history, it's irrelevant. And while I'm talking about changing the face of the earth, take a look at this. WWII is one of the largest events in human history, it changed many things, moved many national borders and left over 60 000 000 dead. And yet, Hitler is a soccer coach, Auschwitz is a WWII theme park, holocaust is a celebration of the end of WWII, SS are Secret Seven, D-Day is doomsday and a nuclear bomb was dropped on Pearl Harbor :facepalm:. Now tell me ignorance is understandable.

Edited by Werne

Your argument was a waste of key strokes. Reread my post you quoted, no need to use the same argument twice. ;)

I think it's funny you would call someone a dumbass, only then to construct an argument that has already been defeated by the very post you quoted.

The Titanic is British history, not American history.

@Werne

Where on Earth do you live so I can move there? Where I live, knowledge is very scarce and disappointing... =( Sucks to know everything and to be the only one to know everything. (Before the trolls sic me, yes, that was an exaggeration)

@Syco21

He didn't call you a dumba** but only said you would be considered one if you lived there. Since you don't live there, you are not considered a...well, what was posted above.

No argument, only valid points are made. And the Titanic was world history. That was during a time we thought we were God-like, that we could do anything and everything if we set our minds to it. The Titanic embodied that belief. We grew arrogant and that arrogance was our downfall. Mother Nature, God, Universe, what ever you belief in, back handed us and showed us that we are not God-like, but still have a long way to go.

Now, if that doesn't convince you, let's get this topic back on it's proper tracks and not devolve into a debate or an argument. Each to their own opinion. If you want to continue the debate, PM each other and leave the general public out of it.

Thanks.

The thread is still on topic, as we are still discussing the original subject.

The Titanic is not world history, and I didn't say he called me a dumbass.

And why exactly would I be considered a dumbass where he lives? My knowledge tends to surpass most others.

The Titanic is British history, not American history.

It's part of my country's history as well, since Carpathia (the ship that arived to help first) was traveling from Croatian port in Rijeka to New York with a quarter of it's crew being Croatian (the history books I had in school mention that several times).

@saadus Croatia, the country of knowledge, bribery and corruption. We also have great sunsets :thumbsup:.

Edited by Werne