Obsidian Caverns

Arcticia

Obsidian Cavern Creatures  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What type of creatures should live in the caverns?

• Falmer
    • Trolls
    • Undead
    • Animals (Wolves, Bears, ect.)
    • Bandits
    • Other (Please post the others)

I just finished making a decently huge cavern yet I'm having a hard time deciding which type of creatures should live within it.

The cavern, is extremely dark with minimal lighting, so you need to use a torch or Magelight to actually navigate the caverns, they are suppose to be untouched by civilization so I'm not entirely sure if I should actually have Falmer or Undead within it. Just thought I'd ask in general what everyone thinks, and make a decision based on that.

Also if you are selecting Other, in the purpose of implying dragons, I have ran into issues with collision previously and until I get that sorted out Dragons will not be added.

Hmm, Falmer are the most interesting I think, but they usually only crop up in Dwemer ruins so I'd probably avoid them.

Spiders are good for areas near the surface, where they can easily get out to hunt. Same with bears and wolves really, although they're usually found in more open caves as they lack the versitilty of spiders.

Chauruses? Chauri? Chaurus? Whatever the plural, they're good for ice caves and deep caverns, although they would also require a food source, which is why they're usually found living alongside the Falmer.

Bandits are good for the surface levels, but won't stray too far into a tunnel complex or deep cavern.

Other could include Daedra, perhaps left over from an ancient battle or guarding an ancient relic (depends on your cave's background story really).

If it helps, I like to see a variety of creatures when exploring caverns. Some kind of predator or bandit enemy on the surface, with insect or undead enemies further down. You're problem is really that the caves are meant to have been untouched by civilisation. What is the story behind them that makes them worth exploring? That might be more useful in deciding on some unique enemies and the reasons for them being there.

Kind of the tale, myth and legend behind Obsidian Caverns.

Story Time

In all my years of adventuring I have never come across a place so mysteriously untouched and as vast as they say it is. Although mostly it's just rumours and tales, these Obsidian Caverns do exist and the entrance is just North of Riverwood.

The entrance to the cavern has a small trace of human presence itself, although we had to kill a few bandits holed up that were preying on Riverwood supplies. The bandit camp we took as our own while we set up torches to the walls. The darkness seems to drain the light from the fire, I believe there is more to this Obsidian Cavern than the mystery around it.

Exploring the passages of the entrance alone could break a man, through the twist and turns we ended up loosing a man who stumbled into a nest of Frostbite Spiders. The deeper we went into the passage we eventually stumbled into a corridor descended deeper into the world.

There we came across a small path through the rocks and into this great huge cavern, the cavern from the tales. We set up a few more torches against the rocks, while looking ahead one of our party members fell, we heard the scream continue on downwards until it met an abrupt end. From deep within the cavern, a low bellow echoed in reply to the scream. I must say, I have face thousands of creatures in my time adventuring and I have never fled a fight, but the sound that came from that creature, haunts thoughts to this day. We fled that cave and passage, we left out treasures and our courage in that cavern. I do not regret leaving my riches inside that cavern.

Just a small little excerpt of the story.

Hmm. North of Riverwood you say? I have a seemingly bottomless cavern too but it's under the Throat of the World where a dragon Matriarch lives called Snowcrag Depths - or in the dragon tongue Oduskol Dein. No human has stepped foot on the bottom level save those who are a meal. I was thinking that since you seem rather confident in your dungeon making skills, perhaps you'd like to help in the creation of Snowcrag Depths and possibly even connect the two dungeons as they are VERY close to each other. I already have custom lore and a storyline around the dungeon which seamlessly connects with TES lore and really just need an active team member to help in its creation. I already have a roughly-drawn outline of the dungeon from the side and the top along with the skeleton in the CK of its side entrance, the bandit hideout, the chasm, and the floor of the second chamber with the crowded walls of a third chamber. One big problem with it though is that since it's very design is so large, no premade cave set will be able to fit perfectly and I'm forced to mash a bunch of walls, pillars, ceilings, etc together just to get a good looking chapel-sized chamber.

Falmer (if some dwemer ruin can be found [that is truly possible a lot of unmarked dwemer ruins can be found deep below] or if the cave is deep enough) or Undead (an old forgotten north crypt) the other creature ar truly difficult to find, if the cave is deep, bandit stay usually in the fist or in the second level (rarely) trolls usually is find only in the first level, animal the same.