Deploying mods ?

sopmac45

Hi guys,

Does anybody knows exactly how to use this function in Vortex ? I know that when downloading/installing a new mod, adding or deleting a mod, we need to re-deploy mods to let Vortex re-arrange the load order but question is, do we need to re-deploy anytime we make a change to an existing custom mod ? I do not think so but I would to ask those who are more knowledgable.

Tanks so much ... :cool:

I`m not a dev but tested a bit.

Well, as it seemed to me necessary to press Deploy every time when you make changes in the mod, for example in xEdit or else where, and pay attention to the button Apply and Undo - they all do not perform the actions but only show what action will be applied after the confirmation

also Deploy does not re-arrange load order - its create a "sim" or "hard" link(different for some games/cases) to the mods files in Data folder - so game just think files a present in real

there is some differences in these links method - but a lot of technical explanation needed, so I just suggest to deploy every time you change the mod inside

Load order is set by rules and Sorting button, not deployment. Deployment creates hardlinks, purging removes them. There is a setting in Vortex, which auto deploys mods, when e.g. a rule is (re)created or some mod is disabled, however manually deploying is especially needed when you have changed some files outside Vortex and want to force the dialogue to either merge the changes into the mod or the opposite - redeploy original version. That's how I understand Vortex.

• 2 weeks later...

From watching my Data folder in real time, when you purge mods it will delete everything Vortex has put there and when you deploy mods it copies everything from the mods folder into the data folder in the order you have set with your overwrites. It is physically in your data folder unlike MO2 which does not. I made this mistake when i first starting using Vortex I tried to bring over my FO4 game and mods to Vortex. When i deployed the mods it copied them to the Data folder and because i didn't know how Vortex worked I just deleted the Fallout 4 folders from Vortex and when i opened MO2 it was saying there were duplicates all throughout the FO4 Data folder. I have to start all over again on FO4 unless i delete every file manually that shouldn't be there.

I started using Vortex full time on Skyrim SE to give it a good run and see if i could figure it out and I am now starting to get the hang of Vortex. I'm starting to really like Vortex after using if for the last 2 weeks now that I am getting Used to how it handles things.

Thanks so much guys.

Now, what would be the right procedure ( step by step ) when deactivating or uninstalling a mod ? Should it be : uninstall the mod, purge the entire list and Re-deploy the entire list ? Is this correct ?

Is it necessary to do the above when moving mods within the load order or creating a merged patch ?

Thanks so much guys.

Now, what would be the right procedure ( step by step ) when deactivating or uninstalling a mod ? Should it be : uninstall the mod, purge the entire list and Re-deploy the entire list ? Is this correct ?

Is it necessary to do the above when moving mods within the load order or creating a merged patch ?

I purge if it had Textures or meshes overridden as that way the correct ones get installed. If it is just and ESP and moving them around or creating a merged plugin I don't. For me Yes if i was not happy with a certain mod and wanted the files overridden then yes I do it only because i know it was done. I did have Black faces and CTD's if i just tried to move them with the overwrite command. Not sure if this is a bug or not but I thought if you wanted Bijin NPC's to override The Complete makeover it didn't do it for me and left the wrong files in the wrong order so i had to purge and it fixed it. Trial and error.

From watching my Data folder in real time, when you purge mods it will delete everything Vortex has put there and when you deploy mods it copies everything from the mods folder into the data folder in the order you have set with your overwrites. It is physically in your data folder unlike MO2 which does not. I made this mistake when i first starting using Vortex I tried to bring over my FO4 game and mods to Vortex. When i deployed the mods it copied them to the Data folder and because i didn't know how Vortex worked I just deleted the Fallout 4 folders from Vortex and when i opened MO2 it was saying there were duplicates all throughout the FO4 Data folder. I have to start all over again on FO4 unless i delete every file manually that shouldn't be there.

I started using Vortex full time on Skyrim SE to give it a good run and see if i could figure it out and I am now starting to get the hang of Vortex. I'm starting to really like Vortex after using if for the last 2 weeks now that I am getting Used to how it handles things.

No, Vortex does not move any files into Data folder, instead just creates links to these files.

O

No, Vortex does not move any files into Data folder, instead just creates links to these files.

Oh ok my bad, it just looked to me like they were copies as the file size etc are the same and I can copy files and paste them and they work.

Oh ok my bad, it just looked to me like they were copies as the file size etc are the same and I can copy files and paste them and they work.

This is because Vortex uses the Windows file system to create links whereas MO uses a custom virtual link system. This gives Vortex the advantage that you can run your game without Vortex running and the game will still see all the mods.

This is because Vortex uses the Windows file system to create links whereas MO uses a custom virtual link system. This gives Vortex the advantage that you can run your game without Vortex running and the game will still see all the mods.

Well there you have it you learn something new everyday. I just looked into it more and if i'm understanding, lets say i grabbed a body texture from Data/Texture/CBBE... and copied (Crtl+C) it into like Data/Texture/npc1 does that mean it will change the file in mods/Texture/npc1 also?

Will it just copy it as a 3rd hardlink pointing back to the original in the Mods/Texture/CBBE? or will I have 1 original file in Mods/Texture/CBBE and 3 Hardlinks in Mods/Texture/npc1, Data/Texture/CBBE and also Data/Texture/npc1 alld pointing back to the original Mods/Texture/CBBE?

Would i be better copying the file from Mods/Texture/CBBE and copying it directly into Mods/Texture/NPC1 and it will change it in the Data folder as well?

But if i copy the hardlink from the data folder and change the one in mod folder with bodyslide then it would autmatically change every other copy in data mods/npc1?

This has intrigued now and sounds quite amazing.

Edited by Pyro2677