Whirlwind Dash into Biotic Charge (a la Mass Effect)

bongalak

If you have played Mass Effect 2 or 3, you should be familiar with the Vanguard class' Biotic Charge ability. Basically what I want is to see Whirlwind Sprint changed so that it emulates the Biotic Charge from ME series.

To that end, the mod I'm proposing must accomplish the following:

1. WS must be able to home onto the enemy (similar to lightning spells' auto targeting).

2. WS must be able to affect the enemy upon contact, causing stagger, knockback, and/or physical damage.

And seeing as WS is a shout ability, I suggest that each of the 3 levels be given a different property.

Level 1: The player locks onto and charges the enemy. WS ends upon arriving in front of the enemy. The enemy is staggered.

Level 2: The player locks onto and charges the enemy. WS ends upon arriving in front of the enemy. The enemy is knocked back.

Level 3: The player charges without locking onto an enemy. WS does not end upon reaching an enemy but passes through them. Every enemy in the path of WS takes damage and is knocked back.

So that's pretty much it. Please consider my idea, and thanks in advance!

ps. If you haven't played Mass Effect series and is going "what the heck is a Biotic Charge?", then the following vid should give you a pretty good idea.

Edited by bongalak

How about if you charge someone, like the Biotic Charge, then your weapon does the same damage as your victim falling from a great height multiplied by the weapons base damage. Could be possible. But let's make it a stand alone lesser power that drains 99% of your current Stamina.

If you think of this shout as an offensive tactic, there are a number of cool things that could be done to make it more useful. The target-locking idea would be cool: I'm always shooting past enemies when I try to use this shout to close distance. While hitting them and doing damage might also be cool, I would almost prefer to see an effect similar to the "shield charge" perk, and send people flying.

That said, I think it would be even better if treated as a defensive shout. Make it multi-directional, so you can to dash left or right or back (which ever direction you are already moving). Maybe even dash upward if you are in mid-jump when you use it! Lower the cool-down time so that it can be used more frequently in combat to dodge spells or escape charging enemies.

Just some ideas...

Multi-directional WS would be alright as long as each directional sprint was given a proper animation. Sideway running animation for dashing sideways, backward running animation for dashing backwards, etc.

Also I just realized I've been calling Whirlwind Sprint a Whirlwind Dash.. doh

Or it could be a phasing effect where you turn into a beam of energy that coalesces back into form at the other end. This would made it instant and anyone, or anything, caught in the beam would take damage equal to your health, stamina, and magicka, combined. Be careful not to beam off cliff edges though.

I actually had an idea like this, but haven't put it into my thread of ideas yet.

Charge powers would function virtually the same as the Whirlwind Sprint, but have added elemental effects and damage, and significantly shorter range.

The damage of Charge spells is calculated by adding your Stamina, Armor Rating, and Level (Basically, your character's weight and speed) to the base damage of the spell. Additional damage is added if you equip a shield, too

Each spell also has unique properties associated with them based on their element.

There are 4 total Charge attacks:

Burning Charge: A high speed flaming tackle that sets enemies on fire and causes an explosion on impact. Has the shortest range of the charge attacks. Leaves twin trails of flame along the ground along the path of your feet.

Storm Charge: A high speed electric tackle that electrocutes enemies and drains Magicka from targets over a wide area on impact. Has the longest range of the charge attacks. An electrical storm follows the player through the attack.

Blizzard Charge: A high speed freezing charge that freezes enemies on the spot, allowing them to be shattered for an instant kill. A flurry of snow follows the player.

Force Charge: A high speed non-elemental charge with the same effect as the Unrelenting Force shout. Only does scratch damage, but knocks enemies around the player, along their path, and around the end point up and away.

Or it could be a phasing effect where you turn into a beam of energy that coalesces back into form at the other end.

I'd personally prefer it to retain the dashing animation of whirlwind. Otherwise it would just be another teleport mod, and there's already plenty of them out there. Besides, I think there's certain joy to be had in seeing yourself physically charging around the battlefield, smashing everything in your path like a brute force juggernaut.

Edited by bongalak