Upgrade my Alienwear 15 R2? Yes, No, Maybe so? and a few other random questions.

I have an Alienwear 15 R2. I am not a huge tech guy, know enough to get by but not super educated in the details and I was less so when I bought this thing. I got a great deal around a grand brand new in 2016. Now I see why I got a deal. It has the 965M not the 970M and the cpu is the i5 2.3 GHz not the i7. Anyways I really wanted to play some of the games I normally play on console on PC so I fired up FO4 and it defaulted to low low setting. With some addon software and tweaks (F4se, ENB Boost, Process Lasso and MSI afterburner to overclock my GPU) I was able to crank the setting a smidge and average about 50fps most of the time. I do have the game heavily modded and I like to play with Sim Settlements and that is the killer. I get stutter and lag all over the Map but not to bad now even if the FPS drops it stays smooth unless I go near a built up Sim Settlement then it becomes almost unplayable.

Anyhow. I like the gaming laptop so I popped for a Graphics Amp and the PNY GTX 1060 6GB GPU. I am hoping with that thing plugged in to the PC it will give me the lift I need to play the game the way I want without the annoyance of stutter steping through every settlement. Maybe I can even crank the settings some more

Q1. How much does the CPU matter if you have a good GPU. I do monitor my system when I play and the CPU never gets above more than 70% use while e GPU is at 99% almost always. Obviously not trying to replace the board in the PC might as well buy a newer one.

Q2. Temperature. I get up to but not really exceeding 80 C sometimes but the fan will spool up and it knocks it back down into the 70s and its normally in the 50 c while idle. Assuming that is normal. At what temp do I really need to worry that the card or cpu might fail due to overheating.

Q3. With the Alienwear amp will that work in tandem with the 965 already installed in the PC or will it essentially replace it? I know you can run multiple graphics cards on one machine but not sure how that all works.

If you read this thanks and any positive comment or feedback (or constructive criticism) would be much obliged. (Yea, I know Alienwear is overpriced and overrated, unfortunately I didn't know that 2 years ago.) Cheers all.

Q1: If your GPU is running at 99% that means that it is the bottleneck as it should be.

Q2: it is a laptop, it gets hot your temps are good.

Q3: Your CPU is already at 70% I think it will bottleneck the external graphics card. They won't work together you will fully run your games on the AMP.

Conclusion: I don't think the amp will do you any good because the CPU will bottleneck it.

Thaks for the reply. well we shall see. I guess worst case I keep the card ditch (return) the amp and use the card in a desktop build. Yea this i5 chip set is a bit limiting especially now with games like FO4 that demand so much memory and processing power. Even if I can get a little bump. Just to be able to run at 60 FPS on medium low, to medium setting I would be happy until I can scrape together a couple grand to build a legit gaming CPU. I'm not looking to run 150 fps on Ultra or anything like that. I just like a smooth game that look decent. Hell even on low setting on the gear I have now still look better than on my PS4 PRO. Good graphics cards are just so insanely expensive now a days. Anything 8 GB is minimum $600-$700 or maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I thought this PNY GTX1060 I picked up for $400 was a bargain.

and more to your point with the Processor. Not worth even trying to replace in a Laptop I wouldn't think and I know you can pick up i7 boards for a couple hundo so maybe a desktop build is in my future. Any suggestions on a reasonable priced monitor that can run above 60 Hertz.

and more to your point with the Processor. Not worth even trying to replace in a Laptop I wouldn't think and I know you can pick up i7 boards for a couple hundo so maybe a desktop build is in my future. Any suggestions on a reasonable priced monitor that can run above 60 Hertz.

For a 1060 6bg, 1080p 60Hz is the right monitor choice.

An ivy-bridge (3rd gen) Xeon + mobo + RAM will cost you 200-250$

A case + PSU 100$

SSD + windows 125$

Monitor: for a nice ips one 125$

Edited by Erik005

A case + PSU 100$

SSD + windows 125$

Where can you get an SSD, and windows, for 125???? Just windows 10 home is 120?????

A case + PSU 100$

SSD + windows 125$

Where can you get an SSD, and windows, for 125???? Just windows 10 home is 120?????

Here you go

A case + PSU 100$

SSD + windows 125$

Here you go

A quick link would be nice, I don't want to sit thru an 11 minute video......

A case + PSU 100$

SSD + windows 125$

Here you go

The video is more for not getting banned reasons and to show that is is legal.

https://www.kinguin.net/

Edited by Erik005

A case + PSU 100$

SSD + windows 125$

Here you go

The video is more for not getting banned reasons and to show that is is legal.

https://www.kinguin.net/

Lots of folks suggest that the site is somewhat less than honest......(Tom's Hardware, for instance) Also, there is a note on the keys, that flatly state good for ONE activation.... so, if you need to reinstall your O/S, you will need a new key. Given the number of windows 10 machines I have seen go thru the shop that won't boot, due to failed updates, and various other windows corruption..... That doesn't look like a good alternative to me.