Transparent patches on Synth Uniform when retexturing.

I've tried removing the alpha channel but I still get the strange pattern on the arms and legs. I've noticed that the black retexture on the Nexus has the exact same white marking on the arms and legs, but the retexture is fine in the game.

Are you overriding the retexture with a material?

Could you upload the dds somewhere?

I just had a look at the vanilla files and in CK. The alpha is only used for the synth version of the uniform and shouldn't be possible to show on your character. If it does, then I suspect you're doing something to the dds or material file that makes it so.

The only file I've edited is 'SynthUniform_D.dds'. I open it in GIMP, uncheck 'load mipmaps', and edit the color.

I exported it using the following settings...

BC3/DXT5 compression

Generate mipmaps

Use Perceptual Error Metric.

I placed the file in the correct folder structure in my data folder and checked it in game.

I never did work with dds alphas in Gimp because it's so unintuitive and convoluted. Gimp is interpreting the alpha channel as a mask to the working file, so any changes you make to the RGB channels leave pixels covered by the alpha untouched. You need to fill the alpha (Select alpha channel, hit delete key, fill with a solid color, not Remove Alpha Channel), do the edits, then copy back the alpha content from the original.

1. Open your dds

2. Ctrl+D to make a duplicate. You'll need it for later so you can copy back the alpha.

3. Clear the alpha channel.

Channels tab > deselect RGB and select alpha > hit delete key > fill the channel with any color using the bucket fill. Do not use "Remove Alpha Channel" under Layer menu. It applies the alpha to the RGB channels.

4. Deselect alpha channel, select RGB channels and do your edits to the texture.

4. When you are done, deselect RGB channels, select alpha and hit delete key again. This time don't fill the alpha.

5. Go to the duplicate from step 2, deselect RGB channels, select alpha and hit Ctrl+C to copy visible.

6. Go back to your edited dds, and with only your alpha channel selected hit Ctrl+V and anchor the layer.

8. Save as usual