Mod suggestions for "classic" Fallout 4 playthrough?

nocthesis

With the suspension of the Fallout Capital Wasteland project, what mods would you suggest to create a more Fallout 3/NVish 'feel' within Fallout 4? Could be anything - weapons, ENB, environments, gameplay changes..etc I think in particular I'm looking for a more Fallout 3-esque playthrough, hopefully with a recreation of 3's gloomy and desolate atmosphere.

I know a good starting point would be "Be Exceptional", but I was wondering what other mods you guys would suggest.

there really is no way to play a FO3 or NV in FO4

you can mod in skills and change the way perks work (as people have done) , but it really requires an actual dialog system with roleplaying mechanics (which this game doesn't even begin to understand , let alone use)

honestly , I would recommend playing FO3 with something like FWE , or TTW with something like Project Nevada , if you own these games

you can try to mod FO4 to be as gloomy and dark as you want (and I believe there are mods that do this) , but you'll still end up play the goody two shoes clown or the sarcastic prick , and no amount of paint will cover over that (as sad as it may be)

Some of the ones I’ve been using as of late:

Wasteland Imports

Original FO3/FNV Pip-Boy flashlight sound replacer

FO3 Holotape Replacer

Classic Fallout Ambient Music (actually from F01/F02 but some FO2 ambient music was used in FNV)

Thanks - really helpful. As to the first two comments I do understand it is impossible to make Fallout 4 any more then superficially like the older games - I do play FNV and F3 regularly, it's more just I want a new aesthetic for a new F4 playthrough.

This is copied over from a post I made for someone wanting Fallout 1 and 2 content/feel, but you may find some stuff you like in it.

Some random stuff that I remember seeing:

Vault-Tec Historical Society
Some Assembly Required

Television Replacer

Be Exceptional - Skills and Perk Overhaul

Road Flares then manually install this file to make them last longer. Install to Fallout4/Data/Meshes/Effects I suggest using it with No Pip-Boy Light and maybe Tactical Flashlights. Essentially, you'll be required to make or find items to light your way, all of which are much more atmospheric than the default.

I always recommend Junkmaster over on beth.net, but it would probably conflict with Be Exceptional. It makes a lot of changes, fixes, and additions that feel natural to me, but others may not like. The old-school part comes in with the addition of several items.

If you want changes to VATS describe what you want and there is probably a mod that comes close. Maybe Classic VATS?

Really, search 'classic' and you'll get tons of stuff.

Classic Fallout Color

Nuka Cola Classic or F4NV Neo-Classic Nuka Cola or Classic Style Nuka Cola Bottles (I guess people really didn't like the rocket bottles)

Classic Old School XP Gain Sound

Classic Fallout Level Up Sound

Classic Dogmeat (makes Dogmeat a Blue Heeler, as with Mad Max, which was his original inspiration)

Classic Radiation Poisoning (will now give SPECIAL penalties)

Classic Speech Checks (you either have high enough charisma, or not, no dice roll)

Classic SPECIAL (You get a few more points to invest in your SPECIAL during character creation, but you can't use perk points to increase them once you start, may not be needed if you use Be Exceptional)

Classic Fallout Main Menu and/or Classic Fallout Menu Replacer

Classic Ammo Names

A couple other music options:

Classic Fallout Music

Classic Background Music

Old School Weapon Options:

Rangemaster Hunting Rifle

Throwing Weapons Westored (Use spears again!)

Grenade Expansion Pack 2 (adds some other throwing weapons, and some old school explosives, like TNT, plus a lot more)

Classic Super Sledge (it just looks more like the old Fallout 1-2 icon to me)

Wattz Laser Gun or Wattz Electronics Weapons

Plasma Caster or The P-113

Knockout Framework (more nonlethal options)

Mauser Pistol

Bozar or Bozar or Bozar

10mm Revolver Colt 6520 (the original 10mm pistol)

12.7mm Pistol (the 14mm pistol)

10mm SMG (is two-handed)

M2019 PKD Detective Special (.233 Pistol and That Gun) or .223 Revovler Redux

Desert Eagle

Grease Gun

P90

DKS-501 Sniper Rifle

AK-112 Assault Rifle

XM73 Gauss Rifle (closest thing you can get to the old one, for free anyway)

Sadly, there is far less love for the energy weapons than ballistics.

Also keep an eye on AlexScorpion's account for the Pip-Boy 2000 , and flipdark95's just in case he finishes his Plasma Defender. DOOMBASED also has an FN FAL in his backlog.

well , in terms of aesthetics there are quite a few mods out there , though I can't think of anything that really screams FO3 to me

if you consider a FNV aesthetics , maybe try https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22868

there are ENB mods that try to give the FNV look , but I'm not sure how successful they are (haven't personally used them)

as for a more oppressive FO3 look , you could try https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22281

this is supposed to mimic the FO3 look , though again I can't personally say myself

however , a mod I can actually recommend is https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23845

to be honest , this one can make FO3 look like kittens and unicorns at times . it's probably more oppressive than you might be used to , but I really enjoyed using it

and I believe you can tinker with the settings , to find a look that works well for you (though the mod has far more to offer , like music and weather , which work really well)

there really is no way to play a FO3 or NV in FO4

you can mod in skills and change the way perks work (as people have done) , but it really requires an actual dialog system with roleplaying mechanics (which this game doesn't even begin to understand , let alone use)

Â

honestly , I would recommend playing FO3 with something like FWE , or TTW with something like Project Nevada , if you own these games

you can try to mod FO4 to be as gloomy and dark as you want (and I believe there are mods that do this) , but you'll still end up play the goody two shoes clown or the sarcastic prick , and no amount of paint will cover over that (as sad as it may be)

I've always hated the dialogue on general for fallout 4 the same as most, but i have to say after my umpteenth play through, this time with extended dialogue interface, its actually much better than weve given bethesda credit for.

Yes, the end result of most dialogue choices is the same, but there are way more options and dialogue branches than what the vanilla system showcases. I cant think of any specific examples, but ive been genuinely surprised with the variety of conversations that ive missed any other time playing through the game. I actually feel that bethesda put some great detail in there, the mind boggling part to me is that with the vanilla system it really feels like there are none at all.

While choosing what to say with XDI installed, i cant even match the choices to what the 4 vanilla "sarcastic" etc. Options were. I also used full dialogue interface for a long time, but that still doesnt do the game justice as much as XDI does, the details make a big difference.

Just something i keep noticing in my current play through , but not worthy of its own thread.