Scoped Lincoln Rifle?

JBear61

I enjoy the revolvers and lever action weapons, but the most powerful lever action rifle in the game doesn't have a scope option, sooo unfair! I tried the Weapon Mod Kits, but when I add a scope to the Lincoln Rifle, my game is a crash fest, remove the mod, no crash. Also, the Lincoln Rifle is the only one I want to mod. I would do it myself if I knew how... And if anyone knows how, or if there is a tutorial with detailed instructions, please let me know, and I will try.

I enjoy the revolvers and lever action weapons, but the most powerful lever action rifle in the game doesn't have a scope option, sooo unfair! I tried the Weapon Mod Kits, but when I add a scope to the Lincoln Rifle, my game is a crash fest, remove the mod, no crash. Also, the Lincoln Rifle is the only one I want to mod. I would do it myself if I knew how... And if anyone knows how, or if there is a tutorial with detailed instructions, please let me know, and I will try.

Never tried to mod any weapons, but after a quick look...

Open the GECK, and then Fallout.ESM

Search for 'WeapSniperRifle' in the Object Window - once you get to it's properties, look about in the center and there are three tabs - under 'art and sound' there an option for 'has scope'. That's no doubt where you enable the scope feature in game. IT also asks for a 'target NIF' - you'll have to extract the NIF for the weapon from the BSA file and put in the correct folder - mimic what the sniper rifles uses in under your data folder (Interface\HUD\Scope01.NIF)

Here's a Wiki page on editing weapons and one on getting NIFs out of the BSA files:

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Creating_A_Custom_Weapon

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/BSA_Files

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/How_to_extract_BSA_files_using_FO3_Archive

BSA files are just a compressed/packaged version of the assets the game uses. Pages above describe it better.

Now editing the model itself to look like it has a scope, would require editing / making a new NIF file for Lincoln's Repeater with Blender/NifSkope, etc.

I'm no 3D modeling pro, but maybe that can help you get started?

It doesn't take 'mystical knowledge' to mod - just time and patience, along with Googling like a stalker, lol. I would think Blender/3D modeling would be quite a time investment to learn, but there's so much you can do with it....

Start simple, just mod the 10MM or something silly. Or just enable the scope options and see what happens. Just make a backup copy of Fallout 3 and have at it. Worst that can happen is a re-install... :)

You'll almost always - at some point, trash everything you've done and do a 'clean start' anyway, so nothing lost. When I do mods, I have a clean vanilla copy of Fallout 3 that I use - I want to try and avoid making a mod that crashes people, I hate that. In theory as long as you don't load a mod in the GECK when making a new one, it shouldn't depend on that, but just never know what 'complexities' might be introduced by modding on a heavily modded base Fallout install.

Edited by Overcast73

Thank you very much for your help! I was banging my head against the wall. I will try this, and if I can get it to function, I will release it with thanks to you.

Much of it is just making small changes - seeing what that does, making another, etc.

Most of what you'll learn is on the Geck's WIKI, some good YouTube Videos out there, and probably the bulk is trial and error, keep at it and you'll get the hang of it - then it moves faster as you go, meaning you can do more. After you do one weapon you can do 50... :)

I think the biggest advice I could pass on is to save often and make 'version copies' at various stages. It's possible to hammer a mod good through your own goofs or get corruption/errors that are near impossible to fix, it can save huge amounts of time being able to roll back to a mod that's 2 hours old as opposed to trying to fix a big problem or at worst having to restart it - that might kill the whole idea I was working on personally. Don't expect the first 10 tries to work, lol.

Oh and do the 'Vault74' tutorial on the WIKI - it's good practice and gets you used to the GECK, if you haven't already.

The reason I don't mind learning and digging into the GECK is due to Bethesda's foresight in making all of their game mod tools similar with this game engine. If you can do Oblivion, you can do Fallout 3/NV, and Skyrim too - with a learning curve on each.

Edited by Overcast73

I am somewhat familiar with the GECK, and Ck's. In Fallout New Vegas, i just altered the stats of the La Longue Carabine to match the Brush Gun. That way I have the .45-70 knockdown with a scoped lever action rifle. I wanted to use the .45-70 ammo because I also use the Hunting Revolver, .45-70 gov. I like to travel fairly light, and this includes ammo. In FO3, however, there is no Scoped Lever Action Rifle. I use the Scoped .44 Magnum, or the Blackhawk .44 Magnum, and want a .44 mag Lever Action Rifle. This way I don't have to pack around a Sniper Rifle as well.

I will try all your suggestions til I have a solution. Thanks again for your help and advice.