Modded Skyrim SE constant CTD

ff7legend

Skyrim SE will not work properly when modded. Getting constant CTDs & it's driving me nuts. Hate to say this but Oldrim worked better than Skyrim SE. Here's my load order:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

Hearthfires.esm

Dragonborn.esm

*Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
*ApachiiHair.esm
*ApachiiHairFemales.esm
*ApachiiHairMales.esm
*BBLuxurySuite.esm
*EFFCore.esm
*FISS.esp
*arnima.esm
*Falskaar.esm
*NPCs Protected and Uncapped.esp
*FNIS.esp
*FNISSexyMove.esp
*LazyHeels.esp
*Mors Feminine Females - All.esp
XPMSSE.esp
*iHUD.esp
*SkyUI_SE.esp
*KS Hairdo's.esp
*BBLuxurySuiteENM.esp
*BBLSmusic.esp
*BBLS_SKSE64_Patch.esp
*Halls Of Dovahndor SSE.esp
*Alduin V1.esp
*Elemental_Dragons.esp
*Animated Dragon WingsSE.esp
*DragonWingRings.esp
*TheAmazingWorldOfBikiniArmor.esp
*BikiniAscendVolume1.esp
*Daedric Reaper Armor.esp
*daedric remodeled.esp
*ESO Altmer Armor by NewrMind43.esp
*NewmillerDarkVampKnight.esp
*skyforgedShields.esp
*TW3_femaleArmors_zzjay.esp
*Vampire Leather Armor.esp
*HN66_Earrings.esp
InvisibleHeadgearCC.esp
*LingerieSetCBBE3_2ByNausicaa.esp
*AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp
*aessmeltdown.esp
GQJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp
*Master Spell Tome Replacers.esp
RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Unsorted.esp
*Saeri_AetherialCrown.esp
*DaedricCrossbow.esp
*mrbs-unique artifacts-se.esp
*mrbs-uniqueloot-se.esp
*Shadowmourne SE - Johnskyrim.esp
*skyforgedWeapons.esp
*Sulfuras The Reclaimed Hand SE - Johnskyrim.esp
*Unique Uniques.esp
*viciousdawnbreaker.esp
*Vicious Heart.esp
*Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp
018Auri.esp
Alma.esp
Amara.esp
Arneth...esp
AshNWnisePinkSeduction.esp
Axena.esp
Becky.esp
CaesiaFollower.esp
Capri.esp
Claire.esp
CrystalElfEars.esp
Dallas Follower.esp
HOBTammi.esp
Jamaia.esp
Khinara Jade.esp
Lanaya.esp
Leria.esp
Lullaby.esp
Marie Follower - Vampire.esp
Mariska.esp
Mirielle Follower.esp
Misty Michelle.esp
Nora_Archer_v001.esp
Pearl.esp
Promise.esp
R.B Frea Standalone Follower.esp
R.B Irene Follower.esp
Skyrim Larisa Follower.esp
Sorbi.esp
Syndelle.esp
Tulay.esp
TyraFollower.esp
Uriellefollower.esp
VampSynthyaFollower.esp
Vermith.esp
Wendigo.esp
Xanafollower.esp
Xevaria Follower.esp
yongheng.esp
YurianaWench.esp
zhangziyi.esp
ZoyaFollower.esp
*Followers Merged.esp
*Karlov_Brood_CBBE_SE.esp
*LadyDeathFollower.esp
*EFFDialogue.esp
*AAX_Arweden.esp
*Aurlyn.esp
*jackelyn.esp
*Luna.esp
*SofiaFollower.esp
*Virelda.esp
*AKSkyrimUnderground.esp
*Darkend.esp
*Dawnguard&VolkiharArtifactsQuests.esp
*HopesabandonSSE.esp
*SkyrimSewers.esp
*The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
*Vigilant.esp
*Vigilant Voiced.esp
BlendedRoads.esp
*RealisticWaterTwo.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Watercolor.esp
RWT Lod Fix.esp
*LightngDuringStorm.esp
*TrueStormsSE.esp
*Immersive Music.esp
*Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
VolkiharMusic.esp
SPTUnlimitedAmuletsSE.esp
SPTUnlimitedRingsSE.esp
*Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
*BBLS-ASLAL.esp
*Cinematic Dragon Soul Absorbtion.esp
*CinematicFireFX.esp
*Cutting Room Floor.esp
*NPCs Protected Redux - CRF.esp
*dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
ISC Enhanced Blood Patch.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
*Heart Breaker SE.esp
*VioLens SE.esp
*TheCleaner.esp
*Piercing Shot Perk - Bullseye perk replacer.esp
*Moonlight Tales Special Edition.esp
Random Vampire Attacks in Towns Disabled.esp
*Sacrosanct - Vampires of Skyrim.esp
*Tainted_Blood.esp
*BloodthirstVampireFeeding.esp
*Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
*RDO - CRF + USSEP Patch.esp
Beyond Reach Babes.esp
falskaarbabes.esp
Arweden Babes.esp
Vigilant Voiced English Babes.esp
CRF_Babes.esp
*babes combined.esp
*AelaStandalone.esp
*AurlynSerenityOverhaul.esp
*CiceroFemaleSE.esp
*Dark_Brotherhood_V2.esp
*MBWSNPCReplace_karliahnohood.esp
*Seraphim - PrettyCourier.esp
*VireldaOverhaul.esp
Moolgogi Serana.esp
Moolgogi Valerica.esp
*Serana Dialogue Edit.esp
*UD_Serana.esp
*icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
*crimsonquestmarkers.esp
*DungeonQuestAwarenessRedux.esp
JiubQuestMarkers.esp
*RDO - EFF v4.0.2 Patch.esp
No More Dragon LODs.esp
No More Ugly Effects SE.esp
NoNakedComments.esp
StormWrathLightning.esp
*BVLT - Human.esp
*Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp
*SeraWarpaint.esp
*Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Any assistance with getting this game to work right with mods would be most appreciated. My PC specs:

Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Core i9-7980XE
128 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GTX Titan X GPU (900 Series)
ROG Rampage VI Extreme motherboard

This is my third clean install of Skyrim SE. Yes, I have SSE Fixes installed which fixes the FPS bug. The game flat out refuses to run without constant CTDs. I have no idea why, hence my humble request for assistance from the modding community.

Top spoiler tag has misspelling.

Not sure on cause of CTDs but recent update included changes to String files. I know at one point Wrye Bash required extracting them to avoid an issue. After update I had to extract the new ones from Skyrim - Patch.bsa. Before that I had some frequent crashes as well. They would be in ..Data\Strings if you have loose files there - check that.

Other than that... maybe rebuild your bashed patch and also use xEdit to track down major conflicts.

Just extracted the English Strings files. Will cross my fingers & hope that fixes the issues. I'm using a similar load order to the one I used in Oldrim, though all .esm/.esp plug-ins are in Form Version 44 format. Used Wrye Bash's Mod Checker to check for UDRs & only 2 plug-ins had dirty edits, which I cleaned out with xEdit. No deleted navmeshes other than the ones in the masters, which USSEP fixes. Cleaned the masters (Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm (2x), Hearthfires.esm, & Dragonborn.esm) prior to installing any mods.

ff7legend

Didn't work. Been having issues with the Khajiit Caravans causing CTD & I have nothing installed that touches the caravans. Any attempt to exit Whiterun via the main gate CTDs the game. Was able to enter Whiterun via the main gate before the Khajiit Caravan shows up. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Been dealing with this 3 installs in a row & the way things are going, it's looking like I'll be purging Skyrim SE to go back to Oldrim, never to play Skyrim SE again. This is beyond ridiculous.

ff7legend

After the recent update to SkyrimSE.exe, I also started experiencing constant CTD's attempting to leave Whiterun. As soon as I get close to the footbridge, it crashes. I tried jumping over the wall and beyond the outer gate, but it still CTD'd after a couple of steps. I even tried "coc riverwood" but the game still CTD'd. All this in what had been, until the update, a very stable game and load order. I gave up and switched to Oldrim until someone with more knowledge than me figures out wtf is going on. :sad:

I see you have a bashed patch but no merged patch. You should make a merged patch according to either of these guides:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15984

or

https://audiodef.blogspot.com/2018/04/have-gaming-hobby.html

Even if this doesn't solve your problem, a merged patch is something you should have to help prevent other possible issues.

Hi

I will assume that you have done the tests that will tell if the CTDs are in the save or in the game.

Some easy tests.

Make a test save in the console just before the CTD.

In the console change your characters race & see if you get a CTD. In Oldrim I can not use some races(Breton,Imperial) with my mod setup. They would CTD at the Whiterun gate after about level 20.

Test 2.

Install Ordinator. Load your test save & after the perk refund process, test for the CTD before adding new perks.

I use Ordinator in Oldrim but not in SE. I will only install it if I get a perk related CTDs. Ordinator is a mine field of CTDs but the author added ways to remove conflicting perks.

Doing the Dragonborn DLC is another way to remove perks. It is the only reason I do it.

The hardest CTDs to find are caused by perks conflicting with magical effects. Use the papyrus log to spot trends in what perks/magic are at play when the CTD accrues. These conflicts are usually three way, perk, NPC magical effect & player magical effect.

For rapid testing of load lists use the plugins.txt block method. Copy your plugins.txt to a safe place. Create 3 folders & copy the plugins.txt file to each them. In each plugins.txt file remove(a different) 2/3 of your load list. Copy them to the \AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition folder & test. If one block causes a CTD, cut it in half & test again.

I know that these sound really strange & I have only used them when I was about to give up.

If you decide to give up, copy your Skyrim Special Edition folder, save game folder & plugins.txt file to a potable HD. I gave up on my Oldrim setup & it was off my computer for over a year. I decide to install it for nostalgia reasons & found that it was completely stable with my new hardware/driver setup. Now I play both.

Good Luck

condolences,

first thing to note, do you by chance have mo2, if you do it would make addressing the issue you are getting much much easier (mo2 has a conflict category you can use to first eliminate some of the possible issues). Another thing to note is the install order, not the load order. Prior to using MO2, I too believe load order was absolute, but I quickly found out it was not, it is infact the order of which you installed your mod (or the priority they have over the others). Again if you have MO2 installed addressing install order issue is as simple as dragging the files above or below a row. NMM, you'd be force to reinstall your entire game (or a majority of it). I am assuming you don't use MO2, under that assumption, if you can put up with the hassle, I would strongly recommend you install Mo2 and transferring all of your mods to it.. this would make resolving your issue so easy it would make the hassle worth it.

Things I can help you address regardless of your manager, first optimize your load order; what does that mean; it means not relying on LOOT as it is flawed (so flawed infact that it's the main thing that causes CTD for me these days).

Here's a good guidelines on loadorder:

Required esms
World changes esp
Overhaul esps
Game mechanic changes esps
Item/spell esps
Follower esps
Character replacers (textures and what not)
Patches

Test esps

So basically, things you wouldn't want to change down to the most oftenly changed esps.

Tracking down the main reason for ctds, believe it or not, the main causes most of the time (for me anyways) is due to texture/meshes either missing, corrupted or mismatched. This means, you should track down anything or modification that is anywhere remotely tied down to the area you're crashing at. I suspect you'll be able to address your issues there.

How to address the issue specifically (again this is an absolute chore for NMM as you'd actually have to physically uninstall and reinstall everything taking a year and day to complete.. joking joking) for MO2 users specifically, just deselect the mods in the install panel until it reaches down to a spot where you aren't crashing. I would suggest you use the category and select mods that contains textures then disable all texture mods as most of the time you'll be able to find the cause right there. Disable all the mods in the category, then in batches of 20-30 reenable them, then fire up your game, see if it ctd, if it does not ctd, keep reenabling, once it ctd, disable the mods by group of 5-10 until you are able to pinpoint the exact mod.

Resolve the mod: you have two options, fix it by whatever means, or omit it from your game for good, for purpose of having a stable game I would suggest the latter, but choose whatever it is you want.

I hope this helps you; should you require additional assistance, fire me a PM (I myself were in your very shoes once, and through hours of patience I was able to resolve it and enjoy a stable game I have right now).

I believe I may have tracked down what was causing my issues. Had to remove SMIM, Ruins Clutter Improved, & a few other mesh/texture mods that were overwriting one another. Unlike Oldrim, it seems Skyrim SE doesn't like too many mesh/texture overwrites. Don't know why but that's what seems to be the case. Hopefully, everything goes smoothly from here. Started a new playthrough since removing mods with plug-ins (SMIM) mid-game is guaranteed to cause issues due to the way Bethesda programmed the game.

ff7legend

Unlike Oldrim, it seems Skyrim SE doesn't like too many mesh/texture overwrites.

I have installed many thousands of meshes and texture overrides, so your statement isn't correct.

It seems you have some meshes and/or textures that are for Oldrim.

Be sure your meshes and textures are converted to SSE compatible formats. Check the mod pages for new releases and/or check the comments for issues.

For more info: https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4633-skyrim-se-things-to-know-when-converting-standard-mods-to-sse/

TL;DR: Use NifScan (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75916) to check for incompatible .NIF and .DDS