CTD at certain map locations

Bauxe

Hi,

Just like many others seem to have, I have had semi-frequent CTD's with SSE. I thought it could be some kind of plugin issue, however after disabling all plugins (aside from Legacy of the Dragonborn and Unofficial SSE Patch, was causing save corrupt errors, as well as SKSE64), the crash was still persistent.

For reference, it seems to be happening around where I am in the below picture if I turn my camera around a bit:

0ddc8f37bc.png

Earlier, I had the same kind of problem just West of Helgen, however after a few crashes I fast-travelled elsewhere and had been fine since.

Would anyone be able to offer advice as to what may cause these crashes? I am more than willing to offer any other information if needed.

Cheers.

Unfortunately the cause for location CTDs isn't easy to track down. First, you can't just start disabling mods and use an existing (!) savegame for testing. This is because a lot of stuff is baked into the save, especially scripts. That way a CTD may persist although the mod responsible for it is not active. To be sure, you would have to start a new game and move directly to the location of the CTD.

I had the same issue half way between Shore's Stone and Riften Watchtower. No matter what I did to find the culprit, I couldn't track it down. Whenever I started a new playthrough with the same mod setup, no more CTD. When I loaded the last save and approched the tower, the CTD was back.

This is just my personal experience, so please don't take this as granted: I got the feeling that my game is less stable since the latest updates to the game, skse and the skse mod family. I never had random location CTDs before.

Alright I feel a little bit stupid, I tried everything I could find but never thought to veryify the game's cache. After trying on a fresh character and having the same issue, I verified and seem to have no more problems.

Thanks for the help Shabdez!

Unfortunately the cause for location CTDs isn't easy to track down. First, you can't just start disabling mods and use an existing (!) savegame for testing. This is because a lot of stuff is baked into the save, especially scripts. That way a CTD may persist although the mod responsible for it is not active. To be sure, you would have to start a new game and move directly to the location of the CTD.

I had the same issue half way between Shore's Stone and Riften Watchtower. No matter what I did to find the culprit, I couldn't track it down. Whenever I started a new playthrough with the same mod setup, no more CTD. When I loaded the last save and approched the tower, the CTD was back.

This is just my personal experience, so please don't take this as granted: I got the feeling that my game is less stable since the latest updates to the game, skse and the skse mod family. I never had random location CTDs before.

I kind of agree with you Shabdez .... Skyrim has been weird lately; I have tried several load orders, I am not even using Lanterns of Skyrim ( it was stuttering my game and I do have a pretty decent rig and all my game menu are optimized leaning on performance ), Realistic Water Two, Immersive Armors, Enhanced Blood, iCamp, Immersive Citizens, Realistic Dialogue, etc, etc, etc, .... commonly, you will find those mods in practically everybody load order, but you know that everybody plays his game differently and I have what I need based on my playstyle, but, the point is that even without all those heavy mods that conflict with some others and are kind of problematic, my game is not stable as it was before. I simply do not know what is going on.

Before, I could play during 15-20 hours before having a CTD, which is acceptable and using all of those mods that I am not using now. Since the last update, I am having random CTD's and more often than before. My game cache are clean, my master files are clean, my load order I do believe is very good ( only running 65 mods ) and still I cannot have it to run as stable as before.

On the contrary, my Fallout 4 is seating in NMM with almost 100 mods and very heavy mods like WOTC ( setup to weekend warrior which spawn more enemies than normal ) and I do not have CTD's at all. I simply cannot explain why Skyrim is so problematic now. I have tried everything, closing a lot of applications in my Startup Task Manager, setting up my Windows Defender not to update during hours I am playing, etc, etc, etc, .... homework has been done but I cannot find the answer. I guess it is what it is.

I hope next Bethesda game ( hoping that they come up with Elder Scroll VI ) would not be that buggy and let us mod it. As you said, SKSE is kind of not helping, I also got that feeling. Recently I re-started a new game because I removed Ultimate Deadly Encounters ( which is a heavy scripted mod ) and I also removed Lanterns of Skyrim after making some test as I said before, I discovered it was not helping me and I am not missing it to be honest, and still I am experimenting random CTD and in places I have never had before, like entering to the inn in Riverwood ... really ?

I came to the conclusion that my CTD was caused by a random encounter. Can't proove it, but this seems to be the most likely cause to me. I wasn't sure if this location is a spot for a random encounter, but just as I was checking the area recently, I had that thieve approching me and hand me the item he had stolen while a hunter is chasing him down, so now I know for sure, that location can spawn an encounter.

I guess, I made my last save when the encounter was already triggered although I didn't see anything of it. Then something must have been wrong with one of the persons or creatures and the game CTDed. That is almost impossible to figure out. You can't reproduce this from a new game or earlier save, as you would just get a different encounter or none at all. And if you don't see which encounter was triggerd, you have absolutly no hint on what might be the issue. Could be anything from animation to a bad mesh. The persons or creatures themselves or an item the carry or try to equip.

For the last several years, I've had a recurring problem with SSE, whether the game is modded or not, and over two very different computing platforms.

At several locations, beginning with Shroud Hearth Barrow, that game simply crashes. At the Barrow, it happens within seconds of entering the Barrow. Very often, after it crashes, I verify the local files, and find that several files are missing, and have to start over, again.

I thought my old computer was the problem. It was a 64-bit rig, but was not a gaming computer. After numerous upgrades, the crashes kept happening, at the same locations. And so, I bought a brand-new gaming rig ... and Acer Inspire with Windows 10, i7 7700 microprocessors, and Nvidia 1060, along with 16 gb of RAM. The crashes still occur, at the same locations. So, I upgraded system RAM to 64gb. The same crashes. I set the executable to high priority. The same crashes.

Note that I'm running Witcher III at the highest settings possible, without any problem, at all. Although Steam has been forthcoming with support for other problems, I've never heard back from them, on this, even after multiple attempts to get a response.

Does anyone have any idea, at all, what is happening?

I'd like to play this game, and use ENBs. But I don't want to spend the time making it all happen, when my player character enters Shroud Hearth Barrow, and 2-5 seconds later, the game simply crashes.

For the last several years, I've had a recurring problem with SSE, whether the game is modded or not, and over two very different computing platforms.

At several locations, beginning with Shroud Hearth Barrow, that game simply crashes. At the Barrow, it happens within seconds of entering the Barrow. Very often, after it crashes, I verify the local files, and find that several files are missing, and have to start over, again.

I thought my old computer was the problem. It was a 64-bit rig, but was not a gaming computer. After numerous upgrades, the crashes kept happening, at the same locations. And so, I bought a brand-new gaming rig ... and Acer Inspire with Windows 10, i7 7700 microprocessors, and Nvidia 1060, along with 16 gb of RAM. The crashes still occur, at the same locations. So, I upgraded system RAM to 64gb. The same crashes. I set the executable to high priority. The same crashes.

Note that I'm running Witcher III at the highest settings possible, without any problem, at all. Although Steam has been forthcoming with support for other problems, I've never heard back from them, on this, even after multiple attempts to get a response.

I'd like to play this game, and use ENBs. But I don't want to spend the time making it all happen, when my player character enters Shroud Hearth Barrow, and 2-5 seconds later, the game simply crashes.

Oh man, that is really annoying and weird .... I am starting to believe that something inside the game ( not related to our load order or rig ) is screwing up with us. Last night, my game just CTD'd and I got a message : Skyrim Stopped working ... please report this .... suddenly, unexpected, just like that and I was walking on one of the roads near Windhelm ....

I have had CTD's in places I've never had before, freezes in places I've never had before, not even when I played in PS3 .... something is going on and it is not us.

I do not know if it is Steam no streaming the game at some times that causes it, or stupid Bethesda screwing up with this game somehow when they upgraded it, or if is SKSE, which has been commonly known as a necessary tool to make our game more stable.

Mi rig is : Nvidia 1070, i7-7700, 16gb RAM, Z170 mobo and Viewsonic 165 Hz monitor. So I can play any game in ultra and no problem. I have also played The Witcher, Dark Souls and even Fallout 4 heavy modded and no CTD's, I have the latest update on my Nvidia, mobo and Windows and I have my computer not to start some programs when I am playing and using only 66 mods in Skyrim and not the most common and problematic mods so I simply do not understand what is going on. This game has become a headache recently because I have tried not less than 15 different load orders, different amounts of mods and still, is not stable to be played during 10 hours without having a single CTD. Simple amazing !

Oh man, that is really annoying and weird .... I am starting to believe that something inside the game ( not related to our load order or rig ) is screwing up with us. Last night, my game just CTD'd and I got a message : Skyrim Stopped working ... please report this .... suddenly, unexpected, just like that and I was walking on one of the roads near Windhelm ....

I have had CTD's in places I've never had before, freezes in places I've never had before, not even when I played in PS3 .... something is going on and it is not us.

I do not know if it is Steam no streaming the game at some times that causes it, or stupid Bethesda screwing up with this game somehow when they upgraded it, or if is SKSE, which has been commonly known as a necessary tool to make our game more stable.

Mi rig is : Nvidia 1070, i7-7700, 16gb RAM, Z170 mobo and Viewsonic 165 Hz monitor. So I can play any game in ultra and no problem. I have also played The Witcher, Dark Souls and even Fallout 4 heavy modded and no CTD's, I have the latest update on my Nvidia, mobo and Windows and I have my computer not to start some programs when I am playing and using only 66 mods in Skyrim and not the most common and problematic mods so I simply do not understand what is going on. This game has become a headache recently because I have tried not less than 15 different load orders, different amounts of mods and still, is not stable to be played during 10 hours without having a single CTD. Simple amazing !

As a former US President would say, "I feel your pain." But in my case, I really do!

The first time I played SE, it had never been modded, and I received it free. I thought it was the most stable RPG I had ever played. But now, I think that Oldrim is actually more stable. Also, I never had these problems with Oblivion. However, yesterday I got about 5 hours of gameplay in, with "only" six CTDs. They happened where they had never occurred, before. One second, I playing the game. The next, I'm staring at the desktop. The latest version of SKSE64 doesn't work (Silverlock tells me that my version of SSE is too advanced), and so I can't use any mods that require it.

However, if I were to play Oldrim, I could journey through Skrim for ten hours, if I wanted to, and not worry about a single crash. But I have a 64-bit system, and I want to play a 64-bit game. The graphics were stunning, yesterday ... while game was working.

I agree with you ... it is not us. I'm not a modder, but I know how to use the mods. It is not us ...

Hi

I get the same CTDs with SE that I get with LE. They are caused by the same mods.

I got zero CTDs with SE before I installed these mods. All the problem mods in my game spawn NPCs. The only CTDs that I am missing are the ones I got with Wet&Cold & Frostfall(I did not install Frostfall) in LE.

The more mods you add to your load list the chances of mod conflicts go up. 1 in 3 mods I try to install have conflicts & cause CTDs. SE has become a modding minefield since I past the 150 mod mark. After getting over the memory issues LE did the same thing.

Some persistent CTDs are caused by hardware/OS conflicts. Twice now I have had CTDs that have stopped my progress in a vanilla quest on my Windows 10 gaming computer. After failing to find a solution on the internet/forums I moved the save file to my Windows 7 computer & the CTD was gone. Both computers have the same mods installed.

I also feel the the games stability has been degraded by updates. I am not happy with the current situation & it is getting really tiresome.

The area shown on the map is really bad. It gets worse once you pass the alchemist shack. If you see the road disappear, don't save, don't quit, do a system reset. The hard crash that can occur in this area can damage/disable the USB controller on your motherboard. It can only be fixed with a bios reset. It is the same with SE & LE. This only occurred with my Intel P67 board that I used with my i7 2600k. My Z170 board experienced a freeze that needed a reset to get out of.

Later

Hi

I get the same CTDs with SE that I get with LE. They are caused by the same mods.

I got zero CTDs with SE before I installed these mods. All the problem mods in my game spawn NPCs. The only CTDs that I am missing are the ones I got with Wet&Cold & Frostfall(I did not install Frostfall) in LE.

The more mods you add to your load list the chances of mod conflicts go up. 1 in 3 mods I try to install have conflicts & cause CTDs. SE has become a modding minefield since I past the 150 mod mark. After getting over the memory issues LE did the same thing.

Some persistent CTDs are caused by hardware/OS conflicts. Twice now I have had CTDs that have stopped my progress in a vanilla quest on my Windows 10 gaming computer. After failing to find a solution on the internet/forums I moved the save file to my Windows 7 computer & the CTD was gone. Both computers have the same mods installed.

I also feel the the games stability has been degraded by updates. I am not happy with the current situation & it is getting really tiresome.

The area shown on the map is really bad. It gets worse once you pass the alchemist shack. If you see the road disappear, don't save, don't quit, do a system reset. The hard crash that can occur in this area can damage/disable the USB controller on your motherboard. It can only be fixed with a bios reset. It is the same with SE & LE. This only occurred with my Intel P67 board that I used with my i7 2600k. My Z170 board experienced a freeze that needed a reset to get out of.

Later

Thanks for your input, on this.

What are the mods that you believe are the culprits? I'd be interested in knowing ...