Need help troubleshooting mods that cause CTD or infinite load when loading saved games

capella6707

I started getting CTDs when the game was trying to load saves. Removing all saved games from the Saves folder allowed the game to load and start a new game. So I disabled all of my mods and then re-enabled them, testing each as I went. Yes, I had XP32 v4.31 installed previously, but the group of saves I have now are using the reverted v4.2.
Anyway, as I was re-enabling each mod and testing as I went, I narrowed it down to two mods that caused CTDs before the saves are loaded: Enhanced Vanilla Trees and Lightweight Potions and Poisons.
Both of those mods were working previously, but during my reload process they were causing the CTDs. But oddly enough: now, after reloading all of my mods except those two, when I enable either of them I get the infinite loading screen - not a CTD. That's with or without saves in the Save folder.
So I'm wondering what I can/need to do at this point to try to get those to work again. I have tried deleting and redownloading/installing each of the problem mods to no avail. Admittedly, one thing I haven't done is to disable all mods except either of those and see if the game will load, but frankly, I'm finally back to a stable game and really don't want to go that route if I can avoid it.
My tools and modding experience:
  • I'm using Vortex and am familiar with using it to set dependencies and manual load ordering.
  • Every time I add a mod I run Wrye Bash to rebuild the bashed patch.
  • I know how to use SSEEdit to clean files and to sort masters (when they have an orange box in Wrye Bash).
  • I use Fallrim Tools to clean save files.
That's the extent of my knowledge, so verbose explanations would be appreciated! Also, if there are some good articles/tutorials that would help me with this particular issue (which there quite possibly are), please let me know. I'm willing to do the research to figure this out (I really want Lightweight Potions and Poisons back!), I'm just not sure where to start other than using the tools above the way I know how.
Here's my current working load order (working without those two mods):

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
RaceCompatibility.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
LegacyoftheDragonborn.esm
Falskaar.esm
Apachii_DivineEleganceStore.esm
TravellersOfSkyrim.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
Cutting Room Floor.esp
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
Improved Eyes Skyrim.esp
SunDaytimeNorth_MM_default.esp
KKSDrBWeightFix.esp
FNIS.esp
XPMSSE.esp
FNISSexyMove.esp
EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp
CharacterMakingExtender.esp
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
Customizable Camera.esp
iHUD.esp
SkyUI_SE.esp
SimpleAutoSaveManager.esp
nordicsnow.esp
Footprints.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
Botox.esp
Serana Hood Removal.esp
Intriguante's Wear NO.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp
ThaneWeaponsReborn.esp
Female Mannequins SSE.esp
BetterDoomstoneDescriptions.esp
Dawnguard Delayed - Level 20.esp
Realistic-Voice.esp
RealisticSpeedMovementWalkingSE.esp
UnreadBooksGlow.esp
HearthFire Display Case Fix.esp
No NPC Greetings.esp
RichMerchantsSkyrim_x5.esp
Believable Crime Report Radius.esp
Torch Brightness Radius.esp
Improved Gauldur Amulet Locked.esp
MA-DiversifiedDivines.esp
GIST soul trap.esp
GIST-RusticSoulGems-patch.esp
TravellersOfSkyrim - Vanilla.esp
TravellersOfSkyrim - Dragonborn Addon.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Falskaar.esp
Falskaar_ASM-SSE-2017.esp
No Vampire Attacks In Towns.esp
AnotherSortingMod_2017-SSE.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin SSE Version.esp
JKs Skyrim.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp
DBM_CWIPatch.esp
DBM_ASM-SSE.esp
BetterQuestObjectives.esp
Blues Skyrim.esp
JKs Skyrim_Dawn of Skyrim_Patch.esp
Blowing in the Wind SSE.esp
DBM_ImmersiveCreatures_Patch.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures_ASM-SSE.esp
JS Armored Circlets SE.esp
Bijin Warmaidens.esp
Serana.esp
Shiva's Vanilla Clothing Replacer.esp
FullBootForKKSA.esp
Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
Blowing in the Wind - Lanterns of Skyrim Patch SSE.esp
MoreBanditCamps(SSE Explorer'sEdition).esp
Forgotten DungeonsSSE.esp
BlackthornManor.esp
Solitude Expansion.esp
Helgen Reborn.esp
Legendary Skyrim Crossbows.esp
Blackthorn_SRB&LOS.esp
Settlements Expanded SE.esp
Skyrim Better Roads - The Rift.esp
Man Those Borders!.esp
Inns and Taverns.esp
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
skyBirds_SSE.esp
Skyrim Better Roads - EastMarch.esp
MajesticMountains_Moss.esp
DragonbridgeSouthSide.esp
Dogs-of-Skyrim.esp
Skyrim Better Roads and Bridges - All In One - Merged.esp
JKs Skyrim_Arthmoor DS DB IV_Patch.esp
Skyrim Better Roads - Winterhold.esp
Dawnstar.esp
lakeviewdock1.2.esp
DBM_HelgenReborn_Patch.esp
WindstadMine.esp
Trees in Cities.esp
Skaal Village.esp
Immersive Wenches.esp
Bannered_Mare_Inn_Rooms.esp
Populated Cities Towns Villages Legendary.esp
Shor's Stone.esp
Better Harvesting (animal loot version).esp
FloraRespawnFix.esp
SAPatch-skyBirds_SSE-Better_HarvestingAL.esp
Ars Metallica.esp
LeftHandRings.esp
crimsonquestmarkers.esp
MajesticMountains.esp
CrittersAintSnitches.esp
Lightweight Scrolls.esp
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
KKFur.esp
RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Sorted.esp
LeveledItemsLevelWithYou.esp
Ars Metallica - LSC Patch.esp
LrsamwaysExpandedSkyrimWeaponry.esp
DHuntress.esp
KKSDGWeightSliderFix.esp
Ivarstead.esp
Crossroads Inn.esp
Karthwasten.esp
Apachii_DivineEleganceStore_Patch.esp
Settlements Expanded SE - Blackthorn Patch.esp
Rorikstead.esp
JKs Skyrim_Skaal Village_Patch.esp
SkyfallEstateBuildable.esp
Dragon Bridge.esp
Settlements Expanded SE - Lanterns of Skyrim Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_Cutting Room Floor_Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_Rorikstead_Patch.esp
DBM_CRF_Patch.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Map Markers Complete.esp
Settlements Expanded SE - Skyrim Better Roads and Bridges Patch.esp
JK's SkyHaven Forge.esp
CC'sEnhancedOreVeinsSSE-HearthfirePatch.esp
FlameAtronachArmor.esp
BetterQuestObjectives - BCS Patch.esp
DBM_ISC_Patch.esp
CWICRFSEPatch.esp
CureDiseaseSpell.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
sandboxcylinderheight.esp
Blowing in the Wind - Helgen Reborn Patch SSE.esp
Blowing in the Wind - SMIM Merged All Patch SSE.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
FNISspells.esp
Dawnguard&VolkiharArtifactsQuests.esp
mcCampingLite.esp
EzEWorldMapSE.esp
MoreColorfulRobes.esp
TES5SE NPCs Travel.esp
DBM_DGE_Crossbow_Patch.esp
DGE_PCIorLSC_Patch.esp
Dragonborn Delayed - After Dragonslayer.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-CRFPatch.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp
fastermining6-3.esp
NQS_NamedQuicksave.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
More idle markers.esp
Whistling Mine.esp
Immersive Wenches -Immersive Citizens AI Overhaul Patch-.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Alternate Start -- New Beginnings.esp
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
RDO - AFT v1.66 Patch.esp
RDO - CRF + USSEP Patch.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-AlternateStartPatch.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp

Okay, despite the fact that I'm being ignored, :tongue: I've actually made a bit of progress.

I ended up doing two things that actually got the game to load with the Lightweight Potions mod enabled:

1. I set the plugin's priority in Vortex to load right before the bashed patch (Vortex automatically set Bashed Patch, 0.esp priority at 80/0, I set Lightweight Potions.esp to 80/-1)
  2. I didn't allow the mod to get merged into the bashed patch

And viola! The game loaded and the potions are all at weight 0.1.

But now, every time I rebuild the bashed patch I'm going to have to make sure to uncheck Lightweight Potions.esp beforehand.

So I'd still like to know if I can allow the mod to get merged into the bashed patch and not break the game - or some alternative that would be a more permanent solution or fix to this weird situation.

The only way I know of is what you have already done.

There are several mods i have experienced issues with after including them in my bash patch. Rich Skyrim Merchants is one of them. I found that the mod didnât function when included in my bash. Have you checked RSM post bash?

Personally I no longer use that function when creating a bash patch (I no longer allow it to merge/disable plugins) and just use it for the tweaks and levelled lists

I currently have 246 mods including Rich Merchants as part of my bash patch. The mod works perfectly. If I would hazard a guess you either have a messed up load order or you are not using a merged patch. With a large number of plugins the merchants are probably getting hit by multiple edits. Without a merge patch from Xedit only the last edit will take effect.

The OP probably has the same problem. Regardless the direct cause should be obvious if you look at the mod in Xedit.

Thanks, guys for chiming in!

The only way I know of is what you have already done.
There are several mods i have experienced issues with after including them in my bash patch. Rich Skyrim Merchants is one of them. I found that the mod didnât function when included in my bash. Have you checked RSM post bash?
Personally I no longer use that function when creating a bash patch (I no longer allow it to merge/disable plugins) and just use it for the tweaks and levelled lists

I have RSM merged into my Bashed Patch by WryeBash and it's working fine. Odd that mine works merged and yours doesn't. Must be load order...

How do you "no longer allow it to merge/disable plugins"? Do you simply uncheck the mods when it lists them? Or is there a way to tell WryeBash to ignore them completely whenever it's run?

I currently have 246 mods including Rich Merchants as part of my bash patch. The mod works perfectly. If I would hazard a guess you either have a messed up load order or you are not using a merged patch. With a large number of plugins the merchants are probably getting hit by multiple edits. Without a merge patch from Xedit only the last edit will take effect.

The OP probably has the same problem. Regardless the direct cause should be obvious if you look at the mod in Xedit.

I agree, Baron. Probably the vast majority of issues and ways to fix them in these games is load order.

The only thing I know how to do with SSEEdit is to Resort Masters and Clean mods when LOOT says they need to be cleaned.

How do I use SSEEdit to look for possible issues? That may be a big answer, so feel free to point me to a good relevant walkthrough/tutorial if it's not a matter of "do this, do that, do another thing and you're done". :)

So with your potion mod you would go to the mod in Xedit. Then you would go to one of potions probably listed under potions or items. The mod just changes the weight of potions so one should be easy enough to find just by expanding all the trees.

When you click on the potion you will see every mod that messes with the potion. Each mod will be some color probably red or green. Red means the records are being changed by another mod or that mod is changing the records of another mod. Green means that mod changes aren't being overwritten.

So just by looking at Xedit you will be able to see which modes mess with the potion and the load order they are in. The mod on the far right is the last mod loaded and it's changes are what you will see in the game. So if that mod on far right doesn't have the potion changes in it then you you have a couple of option. You can move the potion lower than mod that was on the far right in Xedit. You do this is mod manager. You can't change load order in Xedit. You could copy the weight changes into the mod on the far right. You could delete all the potions from the mods that are to the right of the potion mod. You could copy the potion into a new plugin and make sure it is lower in load order than the mod on the far right. If all the mods to right of potion mod records are exactly the same as the master then you can just clean them.

Which fix you pick depends on the situation.

So with your potion mod you would go to the mod in Xedit. Then you would go to one of potions probably listed under potions or items. The mod just changes the weight of potions so one should be easy enough to find just by expanding all the trees.

When you click on the potion you will see every mod that messes with the potion. Each mod will be some color probably red or green. Red means the records are being changed by another mod or that mod is changing the records of another mod. Green means that mod changes aren't being overwritten.

So just by looking at Xedit you will be able to see which modes mess with the potion and the load order they are in. The mod on the far right is the last mod loaded and it's changes are what you will see in the game. So if that mod on far right doesn't have the potion changes in it then you you have a couple of option. You can move the potion lower than mod that was on the far right in Xedit. You do this is mod manager. You can't change load order in Xedit. You could copy the weight changes into the mod on the far right. You could delete all the potions from the mods that are to the right of the potion mod. You could copy the potion into a new plugin and make sure it is lower in load order than the mod on the far right. If all the mods to right of potion mod records are exactly the same as the master then you can just clean them.

Which fix you pick depends on the situation.

Wow. Thanks for the walkthrough!

I'll give this a shot.

@BaronofHell

You are probably correct. I have NPC overhauls near the bottom of my load order so they may be editing the same records. I suspect however that unless you intend to surpass the 255 plugin limit that there is no real performance benefit in disabling plugins through the bashed patch. This is just a guess based on my experience with Mators merge plugin script in Oldrim (I know it performs a different function than a bashed patch). Happy to be corrected on this though.

@OP

When you create a bashed patch there is an option to merge plugins into the bashed patch. Simply untick the option. Bashing will still take care of your level lists which is what I primarily use it for

@OP

When you create a bashed patch there is an option to merge plugins into the bashed patch. Simply untick the option. Bashing will still take care of your level lists which is what I primarily use it for

Thanks, Quagaar

Is there any way to tell WryeBash to ignore a mod for merging so it doesn't have to be checked every time I go in to rebuild the bashed patch?