Elder Scrolls Online officially announced

amycus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F2P just makes it even worse.

"Free to play" games are never actually free -- they're just gimmicks where they let you download the client, but in order to actually ENJOY the game, you are perpetually doling out cash in micro-transactions. Instead of paying 15 dollars a month and having access to all game content and being an "equal customer" with equal potential, you are more likely to be paying 60 to 150 dollars a month to get access to all the content. F2P MMO business models aren't going anywhere because they are cash cows, but they are NOT the friend of the consumer.

Honestly, I am horrified to see a TES Online game.

I see it as the end to the immersive, single-player experience. I think we'll need to host a community-wide funeral event for the series once the Online game comes to fuition, since, at that point, it'll be setting the stagnant point in TES's timeline (you can't legitimately have games "go forward" in history as they have always done) and it'll be generating new and likely contradictory lore.

F2P just makes it even worse.

"Free to play" games are never actually free -- they're just gimmicks where they let you download the client, but in order to actually ENJOY the game, you are perpetually doling out cash in micro-transactions. Instead of paying 15 dollars a month and having access to all game content and being an "equal customer" with equal potential, you are more likely to be paying 60 to 150 dollars a month to get access to all the content. F2P MMO business models aren't going anywhere because they are cash cows, but they are NOT the friend of the consumer.

thats actually not true at all. sure, some games out there claim F2P but give you little unless you spend points, which you need to buy. but other games are F2P and do so perfectly. something like League of Legends. F2P. and you dont need to spend money to enjoy it. Can you spend money? yes. do you become OP or have an unfair advantage? nope. does it make it more fun when you dump money into it? nope. you can get everything you can buy by playing. you get points by playing, or you can buy those points.....in the MMO world, Champions Online is F2P (now) you can have a subscription though. without it, you can play the full game no restrictions. with a sub, you are allowed more customization. but it does not make you any more OP or arguably cause you to have any more fun if your subbed. again you can buy stuff if you want, but its all cosmetic stuff. which ill admit, ive spent some money just to buy a cape that i thought looked good. but your outfit is just that, no stat bonuses or anything. so its all cosmetic as i said.

so saying F2P ruins games or that they are hindered by micro transactions, many F2P games are. but the ones that arent are the good games anyways.

Aion does have restrictions, for example, you can't whisper to other players until you are lvl 10, you can't use AH nor trade with other players, ever, unless you are a veteran status or gold status (i think it called gold) which of course can be purchased via item shop or monthly subscription for 10 euros or something. It was like this one month ago when i tried it out, i just can't imagine playing MMO without AH or trading so i stopped as soon as i found out about this.

I also hate these little annoying restrictions, i don't mind paying, but these things makes me not wanting to pay and just loose interest as soon as i spot them.

EDIT: Oh wait, Pavy mentioned aionNA and aionEU, mine must have been aionEU then, though i remember it was called aion free to play, no mention of it being EU or NA.. oh well..

Edited by markoBG

Aion does have restrictions, for example, you can't whisper to other players until you are lvl 10, you can't use AH nor trade with other players, ever, unless you are a veteran status or gold status (i think it called gold) which of course can be purchased via item shop or monthly subscription for 10 euros or something. It was like this one month ago when i tried it out, i just can't imagine playing MMO without AH or trading so i stopped as soon as i found out about this.

I also hate these little annoying restrictions, i don't mind paying, but these things makes me not wanting to pay and just loose interest as soon as i spot them.

EDIT: Oh wait, Pavy mentioned aionNA and aionEU, mine must have been aionEU then, though i remember it was called aion free to play, no mention of it being EU or NA.. oh well..

Aion free to play is probably AionEU, im pretty sure because i have been warned by my friends from America, not to go there as it has restrictions on everything.

They have met plenty of people from EU, playing on the NA version, saying how bad the european aion is.

I played AionNA, no restriction in trading, werehouse or anything, AionNA states it in their news that this is truly a F2P model..oh and the reason why you cant whisper people untill lvl 10 isnt actually an f2p restriction, as far as i know it was done to prevent the currency selling bots spamming chat.

EDIT:

Also, you have to manualy set your aion launcher to the NA version in the settings and then let the game update, because at default its set either to EU/NA depending on wich country you are in.

Oh and sorry for getting off-topic.

Edited by pavy