If you could go back in time what would you change in Skyrim?

RedRavyn

Let's keep this thread completely on-topic. The topic is a simple one. If you had the ability to "go back" and be in charge of the Skyrim development team, what five (maximum) changes would you make to the game as we now have it? Don't feel a need to do five. Maybe you only have issues with two. If so, then list your two. However, I want to keep the maximum to five to make you think about the importance of your priorities.

I don't want gripes about bugs, quest design flaws, and that sort of thing. I'm not talking about the mistakes in implementation that the developers made. I'm talking about basic game design philosophy and decisions.

Feel free to discuss the changes you would like to make, but don't clutter your list with those descriptions. Also, feel free to discuss other people's lists and comments.

I would make the following changes:

1. "Sandbox" all quests from each other
  2. Eliminate the "become leader of faction" concept from previous ES games
  3. Give the player complete free-reign over what quests to accept and decline
  4. Include custom spell-making
  5. More interactive and meaningful dialog with NPCs

Let's look at each of these in a little more detail:

1. "Sandbox" all quests from each other. This is one of the main problems with the questlines in Skyrim. They are entangled in ways that sometimes make two quests interfere with each other. You sometimes have to join a faction to complete a quest for another faction. NO quest should depend upon the outcome of any stage of another quest unless those quests are part of a series of related missions associated with a particular event in the game.

2. Eliminate the "become leader of faction" concept from previous ES games. Why should someone who can barely cast a handful of Novice-level spells be able to become Archmage, anyway? This is one of the most ludicrous concepts that pervades this game, and Oblivion before it. You should be able to rise through the ranks, maybe even become an adviser to the guildmaster, but in the short period of time the Dovahkiin will be active in the game there's no way you'll be able to replace the current leaders, or jump ahead of people in the ranks ahead of you who are more deserving of their own positions.

3. Give the player complete free-reign over what quests to accept and decline. The "Journal" is, theoretically, a little book the Dovahkiin carries around and writes down important information to keep track of "things to do". So I overhear a guard say "It's no secret the Aretino boy is doing some ritual, trying to call the Dark Brotherhood. But who's going to stop him? Me? I'll have no part of that." I immediately jot down in my journal "I heard a rumor that a boy named Aventus Aretino, in Windhelm, has been attempting to contact the Dark Brotherhood. I should find this boy and speak with him, and find out why he wants to contact a guild of assassins." The game then immediately assigns me a quest (Innocence Lost) and assigns me a quest objective "Talk to Aventus Arentino." Yes? No? Well, that's how it works, but no and a thousand times NO! Any attempt by the game to "push" a quest onto you should be accompanied by a dialog box with the options "Accept", "Decline but record in 'Declined Quests Log', and "Decline and do not record". If I change my mind about anything in the "Declined Quests Log" then I open that up and initiate the quest. That's how to do it -- not the outright over-the-top railroading that's in the present game.

4. Include custom spell-making. I have no idea why this was removed from the game, since it was so popular in Oblivion, but this would go a long way to personalizing your character. The vanilla spells aren't always to each player's liking. Maybe I'd like a better version of "Flames", since its a concentration spell, rather than resorting to the one-shot "Firebolt". There should be the ability to learn spell effects (like "Fire Damage") and spell forms (like Rune, Bolt, etc.), and then combine them in any way desired, even to the extent of being able to combine several "effects" into one spell. There could be a "Spell Crafting" skill with its own perk tree, and your level in that and the perks you choose would affect the spells you make.

5. More interactive and meaningful dialog with NPCs. Let's face it. In Skyrim (and Oblivion -- I don't know about earlier games), it usually doesn't matter when you're presented with alternate ways of saying things. When I think I'm being sarcastic and confrontational, I get exactly the same response from the NPC, for instance. I'm sure this is a lame attempt to give us the illusion of "role-playing", but it's just that. Lame. I want my optional remarks to mean something. I want to butter people up. I want to antagonize other people. I want my "role-playing" choices to actually have an effect.

I would have liked "paladin" type ways to play not-so-paladin storylines so you could get a similar adventure/ reward while staying true to your char (if, obviously, you're trying to be a virtuous char). I've read that you can kill Astrid and have an alternate ending to the DBH storyline, but the thieves guild, bothea (spelling?) and a couple others come to mind. In my new playthrough I might kill Astrid and try out that alternate path (still wrestling a bit with having to give up Shadowmere though), but I'm not sure I want to give up the thieves guild line simply because I thought the "kill Mercer" quest was really cool and would like to do that again. I thought Karliah was pretty awesome, and tried to be comfy with being a thief, but it kinda broke immersion 'cuz at the end of the day that just wasn't who my char was. (Especially after having spent a lot of time with Mjoll) Even something like being able to chose marks who deserve to get robbed or framed - granted, not a total fix 'cuz you'd still be helping the guild, but at least that would be something.

Edit: just went through Riften on my new playthrough and was reminded of the hulabaloo Mjoll gives you about the Thieves Guild and how it's ruining Riften and she figures fate brought her there to clean things up... etcetera... etcetera... (Just prior to, nearly getting strongarmed into the Thieves Guild quest. Had to start from a prior save to dance around the dialogue with Maul and Brynjolf to avoid that.) PERFECT intro to a separate questline where you could help Mjoll bring the thieves guild to justice and actually do some role-playing. But I know that, once I return Grimsever to her, she'll be relegated to just another (albeit chatty) companion who will follow me even when I do things totally against her character. What a total waste. I mean, why even bother giving Mjoll all that Thieves Guild/ Blackbrier dialogue? I suppose it was to flesh her out as a substantive character, but the nothingness that follows actually ends up highlighting the lack thereof.

And as someone mentioned below... the UI! Drives me flippin' crazy how often I've chosen one dialogue option only to have another one submitted. I mean... click on something quest related and get flipped up to actually submit "what do you have for sale?"... retry, careful to make sure the right line's highlited, again: "what do you have for sale?".... retry, ensuring to click the squiggly thing on the left and not the words: "what do you have for sale?" Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh.

Edit: reread the OP, okay, so I guess that last bit was a rant about design flaws. (Fwiw, it made me feel better for a second anyways :tongue: )

Edited by kevkiev

I would add co-op to sky rim it would be much more fun. Plus I would make rooms in inns more expensive but they will last for ever like houses minus the follower, mannequins and weapons plaques but you could pay an extra 1500 gold for a bigger room with a mannequin and more stuff but no enchanters or alchemy stations Edited by Dovagriffin

1. Allow the player to be able to become a high king or emperor (I've -always- wanted to do that since Oblivion)

2. Allow the player to join the Thalmor if they are a high elf

3. Add more to the Nightingale faction - possibility of new members, new quests, things to do

4. Add true raids, like Forsworn, Stormcloak, bandit raids on settlements/fortresses without the player having to be involved

5. Constructable spells.

There's only two things that haven't been mentioned that I'd of changed if I were in charge. :3 These are the things that I am rather disappointed with when comparing Skyrim to Oblivion.. In some ways Skyrim feels like Fallout 3 with an ES costume on it. Don't get me wrong, I love Fallout 3 and NV, but I wouldn't of even tried those games if not for ES.

In particular the of the things I'd of changed it is this awful UI first and foremost. Whatever afflicted Bioware when they made their UI for DA2 must have spread to Bethesda when they designed Skyrim's. It's boring and plain and even though I'm not in the hardcore immersion crowd, it's quite an eyesore in a fantasy setting. I miss the 'journal' feel that the previous ES games had. Oblivion's was a very nice fit and much more functional to boot. At least the PIPboy had immersive feel to it for the game it was in.

The other thing I'd change is the NPC Chatter. Mai'q talks about how talkative the people of Skyrim are, and the interesting things they say to each other. Its no wonder his last name is "The Liar". Walking through Skyrim's cities, you hear plenty of comments and greetings directed at you - even when you are a complete stranger to them. When it comes to chatter between residents, though, they are broken records replaying the exact same conversation day in and day out. Its sort of creepy, actually. They do not discuss the current state of the world or share rumors with each other like they would in Oblivion. They don't even greet one another unless they are specifically scripted to do so.

There are many points I agree to above. Especially the quest thing. I'd of loved to see more ways to get quests marked as completed. (Instead of Fail or Success - which is far too black and white for the gray area some of these quests force you into.) Or at least allow us to abandon them from our journals when we decide the path we have to take to clear it isn't one we're going to walk.

Edited by trukittn

I can recall 2 very different situations in Skyrim that I would change if possible:

1. Dragon Priests

They are a tough challenge. Maybe too tough, IMHO. As I stated on this topic, Whats up with the Dragon Priests?, Dragon Priests are way too over-powered. This is Skyrim, land of dragons, where a big and bad dragon is bringing other dragons back to life. If some mob should be hard to kill, should be dragons, specially Alduin. People can kill dragons more easily than a dragon priest, should not be like that. I have serious problems dealing with these aberrations even on Novice setting. I think that shouldn't happen, not on the 2 easiest settings at least (Novice and Apprentice).

2. General navigation

Have you ever come across some small step or physical bump on the floor that actually stopped you from moving? It annoys me so much I can't even start to describe. General navigation, walking, running, jumping, could be a whole lot better. It happens to me too many times, trying to jump over a not too high step or rock, and my character can't climb it. Just a while ago I was fighting some Forsworn in a ruin, outside. The floor had some kind of slight slope / step, with a wedge. I guess this wedge should make my life easier going over it. I was wrong. My character stopped right there... I was trying to move forward, and I was stuck in that direction. Had to go back a little bit, then jump over it. Does not make any sense, having to jump over such a minor bump. Another minor glitch is when I click to attack (already with my sword drawn) and nothing happens. Then I click again, and I see my character swing the big sword 2 times, almost hitting my follower and spending unecessary stamina. Things like these tend to annoy anybody.

Well, mind you, all of this is just a personal preferences list, rather than saying there's anything wrong with the game per se, but here it comes anyway:

1. XP based levelling system like in Fallout 3. And, hey, the Elder Scrolls had it too, originally. E.g., in Arena.

2. More historically correct weapons, especially in their sizes. But then, you probably knew I was going to say that, given that that's what I've been modding :P

3. More weapon variety, for RP reasons. Mind you, I can understand the benefits of a more simplified system, so, as I was saying, I'm not saying it's "wrong".Just saying what I would have liked to have. I would have liked to have spears, and polearms, and crossbows, and javelins (the Romans used them lots, and so did the Norse, after all), and long darts (the Romans used those too,) and throwing knives, and throwing axes (a Norse favourite,) and two handed magic staffs (you could, say, shoot the spell with one mouse button and parry with the staff with the other.) And I could probably think of a few things more.

4. More varied animations for swinging the weapons. When one looks at the rich but sadly forgotten tradition of European martial arts, as illustrated by fencing manuals like that of Talhoffer, one sees that they had spent hundreds of years perfecting all sorts of crazy moves and the counters for them. Now I don't expect to grab the sword by the blade and hit someone in the face with the cross-guard (yep, it's in those manuals: the "murder stroke", and it's not even the craziest move), but maybe at least sometimes swing diagonally too? And maybe sometimes do a thrust with the sword? Just an idea.

5. Less playing fast and loose with the grip animations. The hand moves substantially on the weapon between first person and third person, and between single weapon and dual wield. And as someone trying to make historically accurate swords, some of which had grips that snugly fit the hand, it's driving me nuts. Just a personal pet peeve.

6. Some better player models, including skeletons.

7. First person two-hander animations more like those in Fallout New Vegas. It's not a critical thing, mind you, but I like to see more of the weapon I'm holding, and I think having the tip towards the enemy is a more aggressive stance. Plus it fits some weapons, like spears, more than holding it upwards.

8. Bigger surface. It's supposed to be a whole province, not a suburb of the imperial city :P

9. Bigger towns and villages. I dunno, a village consisting of two families feels a bit... underwhelming.

1) Allow the use of weapons, spells, and shouts while sprinting, jumping, and swimming. **Bonus** give some of these unintended consequences...Uses unrelenting force in the air near Whiterun and sends self halfway to Markarth. Use a shock spell underwater and it hurts you as well. Use an ice spell underwater and you freeze and bob to the surface like a cork.

2) Don't lock out "Elemental Fury" because my weapon is enchanted.

3) More acknowledgement for heroic deeds. Oh, advance in the dark brotherhood or thieves guild and you get a little wink, wink maybe a threat or two and a liitle fear. Become Arch-mage or Harbinger and you're directed to the college like a student or accused of being a mead server. A little of that "You're the hero of Kvatch" love'n would be nice. "Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll" ..."I'm the Dovahkin for Talos sake, I eat dragons for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If someone tried to steal my sweetroll I'd bludgeon them to death with it."

4) More varied weapon animations. I second what Moraelin mentioned about the varied use of swords in European martial arts. Swords were used in far more ways that swinging stiffly from the handle. As an aside, in the first Witcher game one of the finnishers had Geralt use the "Murder Stroke"

5) Encounters that interupt waiting, sleeping, and fast travel in the wild. Try to sleep or wait outdoors and something might attack you midway. When fast traveing, say a 5% chance that you will end up in a fight or something strange, at some point plausibly along you path of travel.

About the spellmaking...

5. Constructable spells.

RedRavyn mentioned it also.

Well, to be honest, I wasn't very sad about the spellmaking gone from the game. I've made lots of custom spells in Daggerfall, some in Morrowind. In Oblivion I've made only three or four ones (except the scripted spells I've made in CK, but it wasn't an ingame spellmaking). There are so few spell effects left that I see no need for the spellmaking really.

The changes I would make:

1. More land, more cities, villages, dungeons etc.

2. Quest generator (like in Daggerfall, at least).

It's my right to dream, isn't it? :wink:

3. LEVITATION!!! Even the Morrowind version.

To be honest, I'd go with a general rewrite. This includes taking out the "guildmaster in a week," of course, but also means adding extra quests to each subplot (back-and-forth on the Civil War, more classes in the College, and so on), and, most importantly, working in relatable characters and some character development to different branches of the story. This could even be things as simple as a new set of standard dialogue after certain events trigger - who wouldn't want to see the changes in Esbern and Dauphine if, when they told you to kill Parthurnax, you instead sat them down and had him talk things over with them? Or a difference in, say, Ulfric, as the war goes on and he gets closer to victory or defeat? Even small touches would make tremendous improvements.

Also, I feel that the main quest and civil war need to be given some perspective. As it is, the dragons never seem like a threat - they're disorganized, attacking one-at-a-time and at random, and can be taken down by city guards even without the Dragonborn involved. The battles between the Legion and the Stormcloaks are so much more important for the entire length of the game, until suddenly they decide - for no apparent reason - to call a truce because the dragons are allegedly "too dangerous." Sure, the dragons can start off being individuals attacking at random, but as time goes on and especially once Alduin reveals himself to the player (Salokhnir's resurrection, specifically) I would put each hold on a timer (replenished by clearing out Draugr holds and dragon roosts), after which the hold would be attacked and destroyed - the quests before, during, and after the attacks determine who escapes and to where. You could certainly complete the main quest even if every hold burns, but it would add an incentive to either work quickly before the dragons become a threat, or else to be as thorough as possible in weakening them beforehand. On a related note, I'd love to see some clarification on whether Alduin and the others are actually divine/angelic, like was discussed before the release, or else just powerful creatures who happen to have been connected with a certain deity in Nordic religion. There's a lot of room to expand plot and character development based on who thinks what about the dragons (there are the Blades and the Greybeards, but what about priests of Akatosh? Or superstitious Nords who recognize the "Bringers of the End Times?"). I just see a lot of missed opportunities in the main story, and as usual am just outright dissatisfied with the characters (or, more accurately, the lack thereof).