Installing SkyrimSE outside C:\ProgramFiles(x86) questions !

sopmac45

I am going to install my SkyrimSE in C:\Games and this is my very first time doing this so I have some questions and I would appreciate if you help me :

- SKSE should be installed in the same directory where SkyrimSE is installed, am I right ( C:\Games ) ?

- I will also install ( for the very first time ), SkyUI and according to what I know ( I may be wrong and please clarify ), this mod should be installed in C:\ProgramFiles(x86) to properly work and cannot be installed in the same directory/path where SkyrimSE is, am I right ?

Thanks so much, :cool:

There are installation instructions downloaded with SKSE, follow them.

There are installation instructions on the mod description page for SkyUI, follow them.

For your first question, you are correct.

For the second, see the installation instructions on the mod description page.

There are installation instructions downloaded with SKSE, follow them.

There are installation instructions on the mod description page for SkyUI, follow them.

For your first question, you are correct.

For the second, see the installation instructions on the mod description page.

Thanks for your reply but there are not installation instructions for SkyUI .... I only would like to know that if I install my game in : C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim Special Edition + SKSE in there and SKYUI under Data\, this latter mod will work or not.

I am using SKSE and I know how to install it, I just need to know where to install SkyUI which has the option to be installed automatically.

Please confirm if you are so kind ...

Thanks, :cool:

SkyUI is the same as any other mod - the esp and bsa go in the Data folder where all the other game data goes. If you game is installed in C:\Games then putting mods in Program Files is certainly not going to work. If you game is installed in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim Special Edition then mods go in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data

Edited by OldMansBeard

SkyUI is the same as any other mod - the esp and bsa go in the Data folder where all the other game data goes. If you game is installed in C:\Games then putting mods in Program Files is certainly not going to work. If you game is installed in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim Special Edition then mods go in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data

Thanks so much OldMansBeard .... this clarifies everything ... sorry, but for some reason ( obviously I was mistaken ) I heard before that SkyUI should not be installed in the same directory and Skyrim must be installed outside C:\ProgramFiles(x86) for this mod to properly work ... now I am clear and ready to use it.

Again, thanks so much for your help !! :cool:

I think maybe you got SKSE and SkyUI confused.

SkyUI, as Old Man's Beard already said, is installed into Skyrim's Data directory like any other mod.

SKSE64 however is NOT put into the Data folder.

In order for it to work properly, you will need to MANUALLY (I don't know about Mod Organizer, but NMM cannot do it properly) unzip the archive, and dump the dlls and exe found there into the same directory where you find SkyrimSE.exe.

After that time, you must ALWAYS then use (make a shortcut for it on your desktop or something) skse64_loader.exe to boot up SkyrimSE. Using Skyrim's own exe file will make it so SKSE doesn't load up, and this will at best disable any mods you install (including SkyUI) which require SKSE, and at worst corrupt your saves or crash you out.

That bit about where and how to install SKSE64 was included in the readme file which is located in the archive of SKSE64.

----

You're right about SkyUI not having any instructions...I honestly never noticed that, but I was following Dirty Weasel's now very mildly outdated "Modding SkyrimSE" series on Youtube at the time I installed it. If you're new to modding (I'm a noob at modding Skyrim, which is quite different from modding WoW or Minecraft or AO), I highly recommend you look up his channel and watch his vids. They do a great job of walking you through some things you probably never knew you'd need to know to mod your game successfully without umpteen corruptions.

Edited by Vashra1

Read the mod description page.

These are the instructions from the page:

STEP 1: Install the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE)

STEP 2: Install SkyUI

• Option A - Nexus Mod Manager (NMM)
    • Click the Download (NMM) button on top of this page.
    • Activate SkyUI in NMM.

• Option B - Manual Installation
    • Locate the Data/ folder in your Skyrim installation directory. Typically it's found at Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/Data/.
    • Extract the contents of the downloaded archive file to your Data/ folder.
    • In the Skyrim Launcher, select Data Files and enable SkyUI.esp.

No, that is the page for the Oldrim version. Installing the Oldrim SKSE will get you nowhere. For installing the SSE version this is no help at all.

• Option B - Manual Installation
    • Locate the Data/ folder in your Skyrim installation directory. Typically it's found at Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/Data/.
    • Extract the contents of the downloaded archive file to your Data/ folder.
    • In the Skyrim Launcher, select Data Files and enable SkyUI.esp.

Again, that is for Oldrim. Installing SkyUI in a folder called 'skyrim' will get you nowhere.

Edited by OldMansBeard