[PC] Game freezes after several weapon switches.

carnappe

[APPARENTLY SOLVED. STILL UP JUST IN CASE of another surprise bug. BETHESDA SOFTWORKS like enjoys us not with random bugs thahs why. Apparently creating at least 1GB for the pagefile and or removing some >100mb non-weapon/armor mods (Some buggy Sim Settlements addons in my case) solved it for me. My God Bethesda.]

This has gotten to be worse since last week. I have a problem that is infuriating

as the game freezes after selecting guns after 3-5 weapon swaps, no crash just freeze until manual shutdown.

sometimes weapon selected is invisible then 7 seconds later freeze.

I don't think the mods are the problem IMO. I've been playing this game since March 2017 no

problems with mods. If there will be I can fix their root cause. Not even hardware either I don't think

a freeze is caused by a dying GPU/RAM (I still did not rule this out, the universe likes to surprise me with always new problems). UPDATE: No GPU artifacts with Cities Skylines after 1 hour of play.

Even in that case all it does is graphical artifacts (in-game or not) and game still loads as usual or god forbid crash.

But not this one. It's a mystery. Could be slow hard drive or have too much mods (all archived except DEF_UI

and script folder for F4SE tho) that eats up VRAM. Also BTW it slows down my system after task manager kill process until manual restart.

UPDATE: Confirmed a handful of my gun mods literally freeze when selected. The MSR, the Laser Carbine and the Misriah one. IDK how on earth caused it. The rest are very fine. As i repeat all were fine like 1-2 weeks ago. Load order below if anything for torubleshooting.

After the freeze though the exe takes time to disappear from my task manager, just in case it says anything.

My rig and load order just in case (FYI game is from 2015):

Core i5 4440

GTX 750 ti stormx oc

8gb ddr3 1600mhz

500gb samsung hdd (where I put fallout 4)

80gb seagate hdd (primary drive)

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H rev 1.1 motherboard

Philips 193V 18.5" LCD monitor 720p

NOTES:

-Medium settings (because Bugthesda, in my monitor native res MGSV is straight up ultra 75 fps constant), inumhwthreads at 4, 720p resolution

That game has better visuals than this one. Yes3x FO4 has very detailed areas so is GTA V (Str8 up high settings on that one).

-Complex Retexture mod replacing vanilla ba2 texture files so VRAM is less of issue IMO.

-F4SE, Dynamic Performance Tuner and ENBOOST active.

-Except mentions above, some mods that are default loose files are archived to BA2 because loading.

-Problem not caused by enboost or other dlls. Tested without them or with. still freeze.

-No texture artifacts or weird GPU problem sh*t. No problems watching Riverdale at 4K or even playing otehr games.

-Hypothesis says either my more than 7 yr old HDDs or too many mods (IDK, just guns and CBBE armor, also no overhaul sh*t) tearing the game apart.

LOAD ORDER:

*HUDFramework.esm

*ArmorKeywords.esm

*SimSettlements.esm

*AmmoType223Caliber.esm

*NPCScaling.esm

*SimSettlements_XPAC_RiseOfTheCommonwealth.esp

*SimSettlements_XPAC_IndustrialRevolution.esp

*AnotherBrickInTheWall.esp

*B84sThemedResidentials.esp

*IndustrialCity_Sim_Settlements_Addon.esp

*SimHomestead.esp

*SimSettlements_AddOnPack_AwsomeTown.esp

*SimSettlements_AddOnPack_Defences_Brae.esp

*SimSettlements_Addon_VaultLand.esp

*SimSettlements_IDEKsLogisticsStation.esp

*TrailerParkDreams.esp

*WVSimSAddon.esp

*Fallout4FasterRespawnRate72hrs.esp

*Fallout4FasterRespawnrateCleared96hrs.esp

*NoVanillaRadiantDLCLocations.esp

*PrestonNoRadiant.esp

*MoreAGOMBz.esp

*LooksMenu.esp

*ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks-DLCVersion.esp

*Crimsomrider's Sorted Keys.esp

*Arbitration - Better Combat AI.esp

*Realidad Crafting.esp

*LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp

*CBBE.esp

*AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp

*The Eyes Of Beauty.esp

*Lazmans_highheels_outfits.esp

*JC-Bikini.esp

*FirstOrderArmory.esp

*Halo5MC Mjolnir.esp

*DeathTrooperSuit.esp

*VaultSuitUnzipped.esp

*Under1wear.esp

*SexyEveningDress.esp

*Shino Bikini Pack.esp

*BZW_Cassie_Cage.esp

*HN66-SiriusArmor.esp

*CorpusPraesidium.esp

*CROSS_Jetpack.esp

*CROSS_Techmask.esp

*WestTekTacticalOptics.esp

*WestTekTacticalOptics-AWKCR.esp

*InstitWeapPosit.esp

*G36Complex.esp

*G36 add-ons.esp

*MisriahArmory.esp

*MK14.esp

*MSR_SniperRifle_EN_4.esp

*LightsaberMod.esp

*DOOMDesertEagle.esp

*PlasmaGatling.esp

*Quad_RAWLauncher.esp

*Quad_explosiveammoweight.esp

*AranLaserCarbine.esp

*BlasTech E-11.esp

*DC-15A.esp

*Quad_Accelerator.esp

*AQUILA.esp

*Skibs-Miniguns.esp

*CROSS_PlasRail.esp

*CROSS_BreakActionLaser.esp

*CROSS_CryoLance.esp

*WM Heavy Machine Gun - Standalone.esp

*Institute Electrolasers Automatron.esp

*WattzLaserGun.esp

*officersRevolver.esp

*AK74M.esp

*RU556.esp

*RU556AWKCR.esp

*LightSupportWeapon.esp

*PIP-Pad.esp

*K9TacticalHarness.esp

*HappyMaker.esp

*LongerPowerLines3x.esp

*STBB.esp

*AutomatronClaptrap.esp

*LT_Lorenzo_Reactor_500.esp

*TheMobileMechanic.esp

*TNR Shoulder Lamp.esp

*SpawnSettlerButton.esp

*Canned Goods Crafting.esp

*VaultTecEngineering.esp

*Backpacks of the Commonwealth.esp

*155mm Howitzer M1.esp

*mmdestiny_YoYo.esp

*ToggleFastTravel.esp

*YetAnotherTeleportMod.esp

*Depth of Field Removal.esp

*ReducedLaserPlasmaRecoil66.esp

*Automatron Special Defense Assembly.esp

*InteriorsEnhanced-All-In-One.esp

*Fog Remover Combo 2.8.esp

*DarkerNights.esp

*BetterJunkFences.esp

*WeaponRetex.esp

*Prydwen.esp

*luthorzor-el.esp //custom texture mashup

*Queen 26 1024.esp //custom texture mashup

*Vivid Fallout - All in One - 1k.esp

*ShinyFixer.esp

*Rusty Face Fix.esp

*NoTwigs.esp

*BostonFPSFixAIO.esp

*Insignificant Object Remover.esp

*RAW INPUT.esp

Edited by carnappe

UPDATE: Certain weapons (custom/mod from Nexus not the ones vanilla) caused a freeze for some reason. They did not before until last week. Whether selected from Pip-Boy or from hotkey they cause a freeze.

Although you're playing in a lower resolution, you still might give ENBoost a shot. That GTX750ti has just 2GB of V-RAM and your system has 8GB, which is less than what FO4 sometimes uses overall in 1080p. ENBoost makes the game use System RAM as V-RAM.

I'd set the enblocal.ini to use 7168MB of memory (2GB + 8GB minus 3GB for operating system and whatnot = 7GB).

*EDIT*

Ah... missed the line where it says you've tried ENBoost...

Although you're playing in a lower resolution, you still might give ENBoost a shot. That GTX750ti has just 2GB of V-RAM and your system has 8GB, which is less than what FO4 sometimes uses overall in 1080p. ENBoost makes the game use System RAM as V-RAM.

I'd set the enblocal.ini to use 7168MB of memory (2GB + 8GB minus 3GB for operating system and whatnot = 7GB).

Thanks buddy. Giving 6-7 gb a shot. Using ENBOOST as always. Tried running it without it for fixing. Both w/ it and not still crash. Must be a VRAM+RAM thing. Got too many mods already. I'll update progress if anything. I got leeway horsepower because of my monitor anyway so I'll try spinnng for it.

And also you might be up to something. I installed Shino bikini and the freeze chance jumped 60% probability. Archived still because 7-yr old HDD.

Thanks buddy. Giving 6-7 gb a shot. Using ENBOOST as always. Tried running it without it for fixing. Both w/ it and not still crash. Must be a VRAM+RAM thing. Got too many mods already. I'll update progress if anything. I got leeway horsepower because of my monitor anyway so I'll try spinnng for it.

And also you might be up to something. I installed Shino bikini and the freeze chance jumped 60% probability. Archived still because 7-yr old HDD.

I've had it a couple of years ago that I had problems such as yours when switching weapons. Took forever and a day and while in combat, I was five to ten seconds without a weapon while the game was searching for the gun to load. Ridiculous. Problem is I can't recall what was the cause and what solved it. Something AWKCR related, probably, but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that.

And yeah, the biggest problem with FO4 is RAM, or, how badly RAM use has been optimised.

NEW UPDATE: I have watched this video and it even boggles my mind further. It calls for newer troubleshooting. My problem while similar to the one in video is nowhere near that. I got instead instant freezes when a gun selection is made. I conclude or hypothesize that it's not the guns are in error but something in the HDD or my OS (as I repeat not the GPU, otherwise I get crashes from Cities Skylines in a mid-sized city, that one loads perfectly no gay pride colored glitches)