Deleted some mods that broke my game, still broken

darksoldier217

Hello all,

I recently (like within the past week) started playing this game and have been trying to use mostly "light" mods that won't brick my game like what kept happening to Oldrim. I installed four mods last night (Total Character Makeover, Player size adjuster and camera height fix, fast travel from interiors, and Interesting NPCs) and then my game didn't load anymore. I used LOOT and sorted my load order, nope. I uninstalled all the mods I tried that were new and then still nothing. When I say 'doesn't load,' I mean I'll open Steam, open SKSE64, the black screen will popup for a second, and then it never loads. I have attached my remaining load order that was 100% stable before I tried those mods I got rid of. Any help is VERY appreciated. Thank you for any ideas!

0 0 Skyrim.esm

1 1 Update.esm

2 2 Dawnguard.esm

3 3 HearthFires.esm

4 4 Dragonborn.esm

5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp

6 6 SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp

7 7 icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp

8 8 Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp

9 9 dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp

10 a Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp

11 b Order My Items.esp

12 c UnreadBooksGlow.esp

13 d Packrat's Dream.esp

14 e CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp

15 f DG-NoAttacks.esp

16 10 Eli_Breezehome.esp

17 11 OBIS SE.esp

18 12 Phenderix Magic World.esp

19 13 Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp

20 14 Immersive Weapons.esp

21 15 Unique Uniques.esp

22 16 AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp

23 17 Personalized Music v 6.0.esp

24 18 Run For Your Lives.esp

25 19 Ars Metallica.esp

26 1a BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp

27 1b DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp

28 1c Inigo.esp

29 1d Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp

30 1e EasyReturnToRoots.esp

31 1f Fortify Enchant Disenchantable.esp

32 20 RichMerchantsSkyrim_x10.esp

33 21 LrsamwaysExpandedSkyrimWeaponry.esp

34 22 UnechantedItems.esp

35 23 Cheating Chests - Whiterun.esp

36 24 Golden Rings Of Craft.esp

37 25 Killable Children.esp

38 26 SkyUI_SE.esp

39 27 QuickLight.esp

40 28 AMatterOfTime.esp

41 29 DBRewards.esp

42 2a WergildDepreciation.esp

43 2b UnrelentingForce400%.esp

44 2c LeveledItemsLevelWithYou.esp

45 2d Dolomite Weathers.esp

46 2e TrueStormsSE.esp

47 2f Dolomite_TS_Patch_HeavyFog.esp

48 30 Full Magic Scaling.esp

49 31 PassiveWeaponEnchantmentRecharging.esp

50 32 DisarmlessDraugr.esp

51 33 Unlimited Sprinting.esp

52 34 Extra Effect x3.esp

53 35 All armor - All enchantments.esp

54 36 LevelersTower.esp

55 37 Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp

56 38 Apocalypse - Cheat Chests.esp

57 39 Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp

58 3a InfiniteShoutsTalosShrine50Percent.esp

59 3b moredragonloot.esp

60 3c SPTUnlimitedAmuletsSE.esp

61 3d SPTUnlimitedRingsSE.esp

62 3e Move it Dammit.esp

63 3f RealisticWaterTwo.esp

Wow, you do use Loot? Sorry for saying this, but your load order is really all strange haha

Looking at esp names won't tell me much and i never played SE, but when the game closes before entering the menu, one of the main reasons for it is missing masters. I know, you said that you removed the new mods, but i've been modding for a long time now and we do things that we forget later (I still remember when my game was lagging like hell and after 3 days trying solutions i remembered that i installed a new xml for HDT... good times). But well, after running LOOT, or if you use a Mod Manager, there is no error/warning? Are you sure you are not missing any esps?

If you do not have any missing masters, then something broke the game and it probably does have nothing to do with the new mods. Maybe verify game archives with steam? Make a backup of your inis and open the launcher then, to make game files again.
Do you use SKSE64? Have you tried to load the game without some esps?

Haha, the first time I used LOOT for this version of skyrim was when I encountered this issue. I was downloading like 1 or 2 mods at a time, so load order never overwhelmed me. I agree that the load order looks jacked up, but that's LOOT's fault lol

The only warnings I get when I run LOOT are for the original Skyrim masters. When I run Wrye Bash, a couple mods are red, but they are ones I've been using with no issue earlier. If they are missing masters, how do I find out? In Wrye Bash, it has a little box that says "masters," but only blue, red, or green numbers are inside, no titles or anything of what is allegedly missing all of a sudden :(

I verified game archives with steam, no dice. When I try to load through steam instead of SKSE64, I can get the load menu to pop up, but when I click "play," nothing at all happens. I used Wrye Bash and made a bashed patch, and again, no dice. It's just so frustrating because I literally played allllllllll day yesterday, decided to look at a couple mods before going to bed, and now everything is broken. It's very frustrating.

Are you saying we don't think it's the mods or it still might be? On a hopefully unrelated note, I also noticed that my Dark Souls PtDE and Dark Souls 2 will not load from Steam either, and I KNOW I didn't do anything new to them... Is there some bad steam or windows update out there maybe?

Thank you so much for your time!

Edited by darksoldier217

I went through this for a few days, then realized that every time....every...time I was CTD or not loading at all, it was AFTER installing/reinstalling Creation Kit:

It would appear that SKSE64 and Creation Kit share some of the same script files. So if you've installed Creation Kit *and* you manipulated its .zip archive so that the scripts were actually in the bloody scripts folder and the source was properly in the source folder...then you've possibly overwritten some of SKSE64's scripts...and that's probably breaking crap all over the place because the SKSE64 scripts are bigger and better than anything CK poops out.

So there's that. Now, if you haven't corrected the whole directory mess with CK vs SKSE...then this isn't it. In any case, here's what I had to do to fix it.

0. Disabled and uninstalled all my mods
1. Verified my files with Steam (it replaced my cleaned Masters with the default ones but found nothing else.)
2. Cleaned my masters in TSE5Edit (did you do this? This really matters)
3. *Deleted* my Skyrim.ini and SkryimPrefs.ini (they aren't gold - you can rebuild them pretty quick with Bethini)

THEN I could load the game. So I did.

3a. I jumped through the "blah blah detecting your hardware blah" bit, which I think rebuilds SkyrimPrefs.ini

4. Moved my crisp clean "never seen a mod" Fresh out of Helgan save over to my (now purged) saves folder. (If you don't have a clean save that you keep parked somewhere that Skyrim never gets to molest it, you can dl some off Nexus)

5. Loaded up and clicked play....
6. Entered that save and tweaked the sliders you can reach in game.
7. Shut down and ran Bethini
8. Saw if it worked with Bethini's inis.
9. THEN reinstalled and tried to go in via SKSE loader.
10. Only after all that did I start poking my modlist.

....still don't have a stable game, but it's better than it was.

LOOT isn't perfect.

LOOT does the best it can with your modlist, but I've seen it pick a *wholly* different order for the same 15 mods based on ... sunspots? butterfly migrations? injected scripts? demons?