Online Fallout: 76

Moksha8088

There are more kids with mommies credit card and a console than there are Modders.

Creation Club will be the future of the monetization model and modding for beth games will die. IMHO You can thank the modders who joined the Creation Club for helping to sell us out.

First sentence is completely true. There's more of everybody than there are modders. I disagree with the rest. I do, however, think many modders will stop making mods if it's monetized.

I also think a whole lot of others will just keep doing what they do, and now they're getting paid for it. I don't think mods will simply die because they're forced onto CC. I do think I'll no longer be playing a Bethesda game though, if all this is as bad as it looks in this forum.

The modders who joined CC? They're not to blame. No one is to blame. We've enjoyed a sandbox, freely modded game for a long time, and now the company that's put out those games needs more money. It's not the modders to blame. There's no one to blame. A corporation has to make money or it dies. They just can't make money. They've got to make MORE money, every single yearly quarter.

If all the speculation is true, then it's an end to an era. An end to gaming, for me personally. Sad, but I'm not blaming anybody. Bad stuff happens and money is king. It was good while it lasted, though.

For me, all the way back to Morrowind and Oblivion. I've had so much enjoyment over the years, from Beth games. 11/11/11? Was I stoked and did I wait in line at the midnight release? Heck yeah, I did!

End of an era. Let's hope we're all wrong.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I understand how capitalism works.

Bethesda can't innovate to increase profits so they need to milk their repetitive derivative product as much as possible. the 20 versions of Skyrim alone illustrates that.

Bethesda will be the next Sierra Games. The suits will run it into the ground.

There is no official statment to that, yet (far as I know). That means, the biggest source for everyone are rumors and comon... Rumors are rumors. If bethesda ever decided to shut free mods down... That would be a very stupid decision from them and I don't believe (yet) that they are so stupid.

It is really hard for me to believe that they would make a giant mistake like that and that is another reason I wait for official news :smile:.

Edited by taryl80

There is no official statment to that, yet (far as I know). That means, the biggest source for everyone are rumors and comon... Rumors are rumors. If bethesda ever decided to shut free mods down... That would be a very stupid decision from them and I don't believe (yet) that they are so stupid.

It is really hard for me to believe that they would make a giant mistake like that and that is another reason I wait for official news :smile:.

I do believe that they are so stupid. Or, it might not actually be stupid. EA rakes in millions with their microtransactions/lootboxes/pay2win cancer, even though they are more hated than Hitler for it. It seems to work well enough.

It is a possibility that this "leak" was a market research ploy. They just want to look at how outraged the people actually get, to gauge whenever it's worth it.

Or just to make it less painful in comparison when they allow free mods, but only via bethnet.

Or, the leak might be a fake posted by someone who wanted to create an outrage in order to force bethesda to allow free mods.

Or it actually is legit, and the guy who posted it is discontent with the descision of the suits and wants to create an outrage to force them to back down.

Who knows. I think it is believable that they want to kill free modding at the very least. That would also have the side effect that they would no longer need the pc players. Bethesda's focus has been on the consoles since Oblivion, with the PC users only getting a shitty port (see Skyrim GUI). I prophesize that not only will they get rid of mods, they'll also start phasing out PC versions of their games.

I do believe that they are so stupid. Or, it might not actually be stupid. EA rakes in millions with their microtransactions/lootboxes/pay2win cancer, even though they are more hated than Hitler for it. It seems to work well enough.

It is a possibility that this "leak" was a market research ploy. They just want to look at how outraged the people actually get, to gauge whenever it's worth it.

Or just to make it less painful in comparison when they allow free mods, but only via bethnet.

Or, the leak might be a fake posted by someone who wanted to create an outrage in order to force bethesda to allow free mods.

Or it actually is legit, and the guy who posted it is discontent with the descision of the suits and wants to create an outrage to force them to back down.

Who knows. I think it is believable that they want to kill free modding at the very least. That would also have the side effect that they would no longer need the pc players. Bethesda's focus has been on the consoles since Oblivion, with the PC users only getting a shitty port (see Skyrim GUI). I prophesize that not only will they get rid of mods, they'll also start phasing out PC versions of their games.

"I prophesize that not only will they get rid of mods, they'll also start phasing out PC versions of their games."

If this ever happens, I will no longer be able to play ANY games. I only have pc games, as I have disability issues with using controllers and do not own any consoles. I expect I'm not the only one. Getting rid of mods would be a massive mistake and lose them more than a lot of fans. It would be disaster.

If they would do that, a lot of people would be upset and they would lost customers on probably another company (if another company then fills out what Bethesda has left).

Not to mention that loot boxes maybe one day getting outlawt (there is a lot of criticism about them in the media, every now and then*). I also see not the reason. I mean there a lot of games out there, that have paid mods, but also free mods and I think that is the best combination... So... why change a running system?

For a little bit more money, that makes the money guys in the company happy? For a year at least, before everything starts to get down the hill... (because some microtransactions got maybe outlawt, or maybe enough people remembering what has happend and stop buying bethesda games and so on).

I don't know. I don't think they would do that, just for a little bit more money for a few months.

Edit: *at least here in europe.

Edited by taryl80

Hi

Bethesda really had no choice when it comes to modding since there game engine design makes it possible, not them. When they start using a new game engine modding as we know it will be gone weather they like it or not.

I have been going to websites like this & downloading mods since 2001. I can't see that stopping any time soon.

My view of the creation club is this. I am a freelance 3D graphic artist. I have been one since the 80s. When it comes to games, I want to be an employee or get a piece of the action. Nothing else is worth it to me. The CC needs a killer app. I could see Bethesda employees making one or a group with a percentage deal.

The arts/entertainment field is all about residuals. If you can't have them in a contract you are being foolish to do the work.

As for online Fallout, I will give it a miss like I did with tamriel online.

Later

This is exactly what I've been fearing since Bethesda.net was created. They're doing EXACTLY what Rockstar did to the GTA franchise. Except they're doing it in smaller bite sizes.

First was the blatant pro console design painfully evident with Fallout 4. The PC port was obvious from the pro console GUI, hard coded controls, NPC dialogue design etc etc.

Second, the creation of Bethesda.net. The official modding platform from which console gamers could finally gain access to mods which were originally a PC exclusive.

Third, the introduction of Creation Club. Bethesda's quiet passive aggressive attempt to usurp control and direct the flow of mods on their official platform---away from Nexusmods a well developed, 20 year+ established site.

Finally, they've now discarded their cloak and gone public with this takeover. By restricting all DLC mod content to CC, they've gone full transparency on their intent to monetize the intellectual capital of the PC modding community.

Which leaves me thinking this may be the beginning of the end of free/independent mods here on Nexus. Epic works the likes of Beyond Skyrim Bruma, SkyOblivion, Skywind, TTW, and Project Brazil. And the beginning of the end of the PC modding community IMO. This coup d' grace of theirs on the mod scene is either going to go very well for them (like it did for Rockstar and for other FPS MMO games like DOTA, CoD). Or it will collapse on itself if they fail to bring the PC modding community on board.

Because if they can't convince PC gamers to mod for the CC, then console gamers won't have mods for Fallout 76. And if the console kiddies don't get their mods, they're going to pitch a very public temper tantrum. Players are already complaining over at Bethesda.net that CC needs to produce substantial content. With the exception of the backpack/campfire mods (both of which are grossly inferior to Chesko's Fallout/Campfire) and a few other mods, the majority of CC mods are completely worthless. The bad PR and fan base fallout would be bad for business going forward.

OTOH, if they succeed, its because they've managed to meet the demand for mods from the console community. So this approach they're taking to cut Nexusmods from the picture and control the modding community may end up working for them the way it did for Rockstar. Rockstar, which basically abandoned the single player GTA game with GTA V. And who restricted 100% of their future development of the franchise for the online component. Rockstar, which locked away all of the quality DLC content behind an insanely expensive paywall called Shark Cards. In the ESO universe, this is with the absurdly overpriced Loot Boxes in the ESO store. So the only other obvious recourse is for the player to restort to a mindless grindfest. Precisely what the dev of any online game wants--heavily populated/traffic on their servers.

This Machiavellian move by Beth does not bode well for the single player franchise if it succeeds. Which leaves me to wonder how long it will take Bethesda to extend this CC mod exclusivity to future Fallout 5 and TES VI single player titles and beyond.......