Will TES Online Fit the TES Series or Fail It?

Phronq

Will it be a worthy game title fit for the Elder Scrolls series?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be a worthy game title fit for the Elder Scrolls series?

• Absolutely! I can't wait!
    • Most likely. But I'm a little skeptical/cautious about it.
    • Probably not. It seems more like a generic MMO, somewhat because of the standard MMORPG user interface (actionbar, minimap, etc.) instead of a mostly UI-free screen like Skyrim.
    • Definitely not. They should just stick to what they're great at: creating single-player RPGs. Why not just create a single-player RPG that features all of Tamriel instead of a multi-player version?

What about option 5, I don't like the MMO and I don't like TES, so I don't care? It will end up as a grind MMO anyway.

@nyxalinth: People say cartoony because they can't say their real thoughts. Same as consolised or dumb-down or anime, they use ad-homumes and straw-man arguments to make a point. What they really want to say that the textures are not too detailed and the characters are pasty.

Is it wrong to ask for realistic looking visuals? Or are devs going to be NONONO GUYZ YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ITS ART STYLE! translated to, we are using a crappy engine that cannot do anything better since we are too poor.

Well, I'm the one who's too poor for a better computer :P there's NOTHING wrong with asking. I just wasn't seeing how it was cartoony. Now I understand.

Graphics aren't everything, but I do need to be able to see what I am doing. I have found games like Daggerfall and Baldur's Gate are so blurry and blocky that I can't see what I'm doing. (And I do have a powerful rig.) The TES MMO at least looks better than that.

What about option 5, I don't like the MMO and I don't like TES, so I don't care? It will end up as a grind MMO anyway.

@nyxalinth: People say cartoony because they can't say their real thoughts. Same as consolised or dumb-down or anime, they use ad-homumes and straw-man arguments to make a point. What they really want to say that the textures are not too detailed and the characters are pasty.

Is it wrong to ask for realistic looking visuals? Or are devs going to be NONONO GUYZ YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ITS ART STYLE! translated to, we are using a crappy engine that cannot do anything better since we are too poor.

Art style =/= cartoony. Art style is the general direction of the game, while the engine is how the game is rendered. If the engine cannot render things properly, then you have the whole "cartoony thing". You already know TES' general art direction or art style, but you hate how it's rendered in this MMO. And frankly I don't care, it's an MMO. I don't expect much and the cost to generate that much detail will have to be factored in their budget.

Art style =/= cartoony. Art style is the general direction of the game, while the engine is how the game is rendered. If the engine cannot render things properly, then you have the whole "cartoony thing". You already know TES' general art direction or art style, but you hate how it's rendered in this MMO. And frankly I don't care, it's an MMO. I don't expect much and the cost to generate that much detail will have to be factored in their budget.

It shouldn't be an excuse to not push technology to it's limits. Even for an MMO.

I doubt it is too much to ask a MMO to have good graphics. It isn't as if the servers are doing the rendering and streaming the video to your PC after all. It is good to see the criticism though since it keeps them from resting on their laurels and creates more pressure to put out a better product.

Any thoughts on the idea that ESO will eventually become free to play? I have mixed feelings about such systems myself. The last one I played felt like a shopping mall with a game attached to it.

Elder Scrolls Online will eventually be free-to-play - Analyst

Edited by justwannaddl