No storage device selected fix?

dennis71

Need some help please! I'll start off with my rig....

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k overclocked to 4.00GHz

Operating System: Windows 10 home 64-bit

Ram: 16Gb Single Channel @1076MHz

Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Professional Gaming i7

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Storage: 1.7tb.

Ok, when starting a fresh install, adding the 4gb patch, and starting a new game, when at the game start screen and changing settings, I get the message " No Storage Device Selected Settings Will Not Be Saved". I close out ang go to Steam, right click New Vegas and go to properties, select local files and select 'Verify Integrity of Game Files. I'll get a message that one or two files failed to validate and will be reacquired. When it does this the 4gb patch has stopped working. How can I keep using the 4gb patch and be able to save settings and game saves? Thanks!

Go back and read the 4GB Patch instructions again. You need to start the game the very first time using the vanilla "FalloutLauncher", so it detects your hardware and builds the INI files in your "Users" folder. Only then do you install the 4GB Patch (and NVSE).

It sounds like you are trying to launch the game from Steam. Note that the "Steam Client" is required to start the game each time, but it is separate from the "Steam Overlay", which can be closed. If you are running by selecting the game in the "Steam Library" (in the Overlay) you need to configure the properties there so it knows where your "Users" folder is located. (This is probably your "device not selected".) In general we recommend you don't use the "Steam Overlay" (this isn't a multiplayer game after all), and run it from the desktop shortcut in "offline" mode from the "Steam Client" instead.

I'm away from my game machine at the moment, so I might have missed something but that's the general idea.

-Dubious-

Nope, not using Steam to launch the game. I did follow the 4gb patch instructions and was launching it from the desktop shortcut like many YouTube videos show to do. This is why I've always been a console gamer going all the way back to when my Atari was the Atari Entertainment System, not the 2600!

That sort of message usually comes from some "configuration" process attempting to write out a "settings file". Either the usual location is "write protected" (such as the Windows system folders under the "C:\Program Files" folder tree), or the registry entry it uses to determine where to write is missing or otherwise invalid.

I did find that (or a similar) error for FNV on the web. In that instance the name in the "C:\Users" folder caused a problem. This could be the result of the language used by default on the computer (using letters not in the standard 8-bit ASCII set), or the name given at the time the account was created (in that instance the name was included in quotes). The solution was to rename that user folder.

Please do let us know what works for you.

-Dubious-

Glad to hear you worked it out. Yes, AV treats anything that attempts to change program code as "malware". It isn't smart enough to tell what is benign and what isn't. Anything that did not come from the same manufacturer is potentially hostile.

Hmm. Overlooked that. I've added a comment to that effect to the Checklist item about 4GB Patching. Thanks for reporting your solution.

-Dubious-

• 3 months later...

Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

If you launch FNV from the Steam "Library" panel, it will replace your "Users" folder INI files with the "Fallout_default.INI" file from the "game root folder". It may also first set the "default" INI file to be "Read Only"; as might Windows if it is under the "C:\Program Files" folder tree. This replacement does not happen if you launch the game in "offline mode" (see the second paragraph under Bandwidth Considerations) from a desktop link and have moved the game out of the "Program Files" tree as described in the wiki Installing Games on Windows Vista+ article.

-Dubious-

Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

If you launch FNV from the Steam "Library" panel, it will replace your "Users" folder INI files with the "Fallout_default.INI" file from the "game root folder". It may also first set the "default" INI file to be "Read Only"; as might Windows if it is under the "C:\Program Files" folder tree. This replacement does not happen if you launch the game in "offline mode" (see the second paragraph under Bandwidth Considerations) from a desktop link and have moved the game out of the "Program Files" tree as described in the wiki Installing Games on Windows Vista+ article.

-Dubious-

Yea, NONE of that works.

I have my Steam installed to D:\Games\Steam

So the "Program Files" problem isn't an issue.

I also run FONV with fvse_loader.exe NOT the Launcher, (ran the launcher just to create the ini files) yet the Fallout.ini keeps resetting to READ ONLY, and when I try to save the setting in the game I get "There is no storage device selected. Settings will not be saved"

That "rename the user folder" will make everything else not work on your computer because all of the files and programs will be looking for the old user, not the new user, so by changing the name of the folder, you'll probably get FONV working again, but now every single other program on your computer will cease to work, as mentioned in the comment BELOW the How-To article.

Besides, renaming the user folder is an absolute ridiculous step to take to try and get a game working.

I've even deleted the entire Fallout New Vegas folder in C:\Users.... then ran FAlloutNVLauncher.exe so the game could create a new folder and ini files, but the fallout.ini continues to return to being 'read only" and giving the "There is no storage device selected. Settings will not be saved" when trying to save any changes in the game.

I can make Save Games all I want in the game, but it refuses to save any Settings.