Who's Side are you in the War?

micros24

i personly suport the empire and i think that soon it wil allow talos again and then the stormcloaks have nothing to complain about. i think the stormcloacs are to racist. but in game it dempends on what my character are

I'm on the Imperial Side. It makes more sense in the lore. The Thalmor are the really enemy, and they're strong. The Stormcloaks aren't looking at the big picture. They can sacrifice public Talos worship, and keep the Empire in 3 provinces, biding the time until Hammerfell rejoins the Empire (hopefully on a truce), and the Empire can match the Dominion. If Skyrim succeeds from the Empire, then they're isolated, and venerable to the Dominion, as is Cyrodiil and High Rock. Besides, during the campaign, it's revealed that Ulfric is just the Thalmor's uncooperative sleeper agent, and he's doing exactly what they want.

Me, the player: I'm totally divided on this issue, since I can see bad and good points with each faction.

To be certain, a united Empire is good for everyone who is part of the Empire, but the Empire is weak. It completely caved in to the Dominion's demands in the White Gold Concordat, as nearly as I can tell. The Aldmeri got everything they had wanted and the Empire got only an enforced truce -- a truce enforced by the Dominion, since it could easily defeat the Empire at any time. It's why the Emperor conceded to their demands. He knew the Empire couldn't win against another Dominion invasion. It was a matter of becoming a pawn in the Dominion's ultimate goal to rule all of Tamriel, or to face oblivion (and not the Daedra's version of it).

The Nords are possibly the strongest force to go against the Dominion, but I doubt that even they could, by themselves, stage a successful attack into Dominion territory. The logistics are just too stacked against them. They need allies, and where are they going to get them? As a general rule, Nords hate everything that isn't Nord. Sure, there are exceptions, but they are few and far between. They have only themselves to rely upon. Why go to arms for a people who don't even want you in their "country", anyway? They need all the help they can get, but their xenophobic attitude is a sure-fire way of insuring that they'll get very little. A free Skyrim is a stronger Skyrim. That much can't be denied. But a free Skyrim is only a festering sore, waiting for a stronger Dominion to heal it (which means enslaving it).

My character(s): Like me, they tend to be divided. I don't play simplistic characters. They have complex personalities, all different from each other and all different from me, but none of them are blind to all the mixed messages they get from both sides in the war. Some tend toward the Empire. Some tend toward the Stormcloaks. None of them have chosen sides, which means I've never gotten involved in the Civil War questline, and probably never will. It's just too lame to bother with (from my perspective as a Player).

Yes, you have a reason to hate the Empire right out of the starting block. Imperial officials were going to lop off your head, after all, and a simpleton could use that as a sole determinant in making a choice for one side or another. A thinker, though, will have seen that for what it is -- an Imperial Captain who couldn't be bothered with proper protocol and didn't want to take time to insure that the unknown prisoner (you) was justly dealt with. That's not the Empire's fault. It's that particular officer's fault.

Neither

Supporting the Empire has never sat well with me. Especially considering there is a very large demographic within Skyrim that wishes to retain their cultural identity. Assimilating would entail fracturing their identity and reducing their nation to but a cog in an already dying machine.

Then there are the Stormcloaks; while initially admirable in some respects, they prove to be largely xenophobic and needlessly hostile towards foreigners. I can not side with this either.

The Aldmeri Dominion needs no consideration. Under no circumstances do I support subverting an entire nation against their best interests: be it The Empire or Skyrim.

If I had to describe my role-playing style, I'm an open-minded and amiable citizen, yet introverted at my core. Cherishing my cultural roots and identity, I welcome all foreigners into our beautiful land while opposing any attempts to exploit or manipulate the nation and its peoples.

I plan to run for Carl of Solitude once I can come to an agreeable compromise with Paarthunax regarding Alduin and the recent dragon attacks.

Stormcloaks.

Sure, the Empire was going to wage war against the dominion again, but they lost the first time, who says it won't happen again? The Empire can't be united, not with Hammerfell splitting away and High Rock's kingdoms undecided on which side to fight for. Those who say the Empire have no true knowlage of how the Empire would only kill themselves if they faced the Dominion again.

Hammerfell was given to the Thalmor for a peace offering. Hammefell thus broke away, and will never rejoin. Skyrim gets owned by Ulfric, and no doubt he will help Hammerfell fight for freedom against the Empire and the Dominion. High Rock is looking like it will form a resistance too, so they will join with the two other provinces as well.Basically, the Empire is falling because there is no unity. The only way to get unity is to get a new Empire, and then face the Dominion while filling the holes in defense and attacking the Thalmor in the proccess.

@Above

That's all very well and good, but Skyrim breaking away means there even weaker than the whole Empire was fighting the Dominion. If the whole empire couldn't win, then Skyrim surely couldn't. Also, when you go the Thalmor embassy you find out that Ulfric is doing exactly what the Thalmor want him to do. They want a weaker empire, and a weaker Skyrim, so they can overthrow them both. Skyrim wouldn't found a new Empire once broken away, otherwise when the Thalmor get bored they'll be fighting a 2-front war. The Stormcloaks bang on about how 'we'll be stronger alone' but it's bulls***. They'll just have on extra God and elves tea-bagging their sorry corpses