Disabling the boston commons barrels

SirDanest

I'm trying to disable the radioactive barrels in the boston commons, but it doesn't work. Even when standing right up against them, face smeared int he barrel, they won't disable. It seems to disable a random tree or whatever, in the area, but never the barrels. I've never seen any object immune to console disabling before. I've really made sure that I'm definitely clicking on the barrels, so that's not it. Any ideas as to what's going on, beyond not clicking on the barrels properly? Thanks

Why would you want to disable the radio-active barrels in Boston Commons?

Anyway, some meshes are sitting beneath a decal/overlay (in this case the radiation decal) and as such can be very hard to hit so that the reference i.d. doesn't show when clicking around (the decal itself stays invisible to the console and even when using extra scrapping options in workshop mode). There's a mod I use and that for the time being I cannot recall that does away with overlays in close vicinity of the player's character. I'll be back with a link when I find the mod...

*EDIT*

It's the Dynamic Decal Cleaner. A very handy mod that can be set to clean different decals and which can be used anywhere when a key is attributed to the cleaning. Try the DDC first when standing next to the barrels and then see if you can select the barrels in console mode.

In this playthrough, I'm trying to build settlements in unconventional places. I didn't build a vast network of cities in my previous game.
Once cleared, the boston commons looks kind of nice (and is right next to the "Cheers" bar.) So I use the conquest mod to plop down a workbench and bring in a lot of settlers. Only then after doing some building do I somehow notice how much radiation is there, around the barrels. They're scrap-proof, unlike the rad barrels in starlight drive-in. I guess I should just close down the settlement, or build a gate around it so that I don't back into the rads again.

Try the Decal Cleaner mod and see what gives. Also be aware that the Conquest mod can screw-up your settlements supply lines. When adding a settlement with Conquest, always check your pipboy's Data/Workshops list to see if there's a Comonwealth entry after having added a settlement.

The reason for this is that an area needs to be tied to the workshop you place so that a map marker is added whihc in turn is tied to both the area nd workshop. This needs to happen for the game to be able to let you fast travel to the new settlement. If this isn't done, either the fast travel option doesn't work (when there's no map marker added) or, if a map marker IS added but not tied to the workshop, the game doesn't know where exactly the settlement is situated and adds "Commonwealth" to the pipboy (because that's the larger area where the settlement is) instead of the new settlement's name.

I'm using survival so there's no fast travel.
So what should I do if the pipboy data lists it as "commonwealth" instead of its proper settlement name? Does that mean the settlement is basically invalid? It might explain why my conquest settlers have a tendency to wander away to places unknown (and sometimes never come back even when I ring the bell.)

The barrels are likely part if a precombined mesh which is why you can't select them. If the console returns a message along the lines of "Non Av Object" that's the tip off you're selecting a precombine. Getting rid of them in any manner those will break precombines for the cell and likely degrade your FPS. Not something I would advise for such a dense area.

Also, that cell has a load of spawn points and trigger boxes for various scripted events like Vertibirds dropping of BOS patrols and frequent Raider spawns. Not ideal for a settlement. Swan is also known to respawn after a while if you kill him...not something I'd want in my backyard.