ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

3DSmax not loading correct texture for mesh import

daverboon

I've extracted the BSA's to separate folder so I can work on things without interfering with mods that are installed. The vanilla female mesh loads up in max properly with correct textures however loading either UNP or CBBE, max wants to apply the burnt log texture. It does this with hands and feet to so I'm wondering what have I missed? Is it because it's a custom mesh so max doesn't know where to find the texture and gives it a default one?

Likely the .NIF file was edited outside of 3ds by using nifskope or some other utility. This is one of the things that makes dealing with custom content such a pain for skyrim. The nif importer for 3ds max will read properly defined nifs, but if they have been edited using some other tool, data gets lost or misread.

It is fairly common for this, as I have seen your complaint posted by other folks on other forums as well ... meaning you are NOT the only person to run into the issue, and folks using blender have had it too.

I have not seen a definitive answer on how to correct it though. At least, not a step by step, program by program answer.

Hopefully, someone can give you such a direct answer, and I will be anxiously tracking this thread!

Likely the .NIF file was edited outside of 3ds by using nifskope or some other utility. This is one of the things that makes dealing with custom content such a pain for skyrim. The nif importer for 3ds max will read properly defined nifs, but if they have been edited using some other tool, data gets lost or misread.

It is fairly common for this, as I have seen your complaint posted by other folks on other forums as well ... meaning you are NOT the only person to run into the issue, and folks using blender have had it too.

I have not seen a definitive answer on how to correct it though. At least, not a step by step, program by program answer.

Hopefully, someone can give you such a direct answer, and I will be anxiously tracking this thread!

Thank you for a kind reply, I was half expecting a snarky reply telling me to "search" before posting. I do that ofcourse. I'll be keeping an eye on this aswell, adding the texture directory directly into the niftools.ini didn't make a difference.

The "burnt" texture is actually AstridBody.dds. You can really put any skin texture you want in the nif and as long as the BSLightingShaderProperty - Skyrim Shader Type is set to 5 it will still point to the correct race's texture. The game does it this way so you can use different race skin textures (human, khajiit, argonian,etc.) for the same model. Just change the texture to whatever you want in nifskope. Edited by DizzasterJuice

The "burnt" texture is actually AstridBody.dds. You can really put any skin texture you want in the nif and as long as the BSLightingShaderProperty - Skyrim Shader Type is set to 5 it will still point to the correct race's texture. The game does it this way so you can use different race skin textures (human, khajiit, argonian,etc.) for the same model. Just change the texture to whatever you want in nifskope.

Thank you for clearing that up, I had thought the burnt texture was from the fire logs lol. I'm still struggling with importing CBBE or UNP into max with normal skin textures. The vanilla models import fine, both male and female but both CBBE and UNP don't and that's what I'm trying to fix. I'd like to make my own body re-placer since I have a few ideas and some experiments I'd like to try. I wasn't sure how those aforementioned authors increased the poly counts on their models but the density is a good starting place for me to have fun with.

At my wits end here, nifskope doesn't want to load up "any" texture no matter what mesh I load up. I've told it where to find the textures yet the meshes still come up void of texture. Here I thought it was just a max nif tools problem. I was following a tutorial but got stuck half way when he started talking about copyig the bslighting property as I said, no textures will show. This is frustrating.