Help with MO2

tomomi1922

The way I understand how MO2 handle newly generated files, it puts into Overwrite folder. From there, users can decide how to distribute/relocate these files. Files from CK (mostly facegen files), Bodyslides' custom built outfit meshes, FNIS, etc... they all went there to Overwrite.

But recently, this is not the case. I downloaded a hair replacer mod. It requires users to go into CK to regenerate Facegen for all non-Vanilla NPCs (or have black faces). For some mods, the facegen files will go to Overwrite. For others, these facegen would go directly into the respective mod's folder, overwriting the original mod's files. This seems to be a convenient thing to have. But it proves to be annoying if I want to export these files and upload them. I would have to dig into the mod folders to find them. It can get hectic if there are some 20+ files.

And it gets worse. When there are multiple mods handling the same file, MO2 just simply pick one mod to overwrite. Here are a few annmoying scenarios:

- I have 3 mods that handle replacer outfits, each gives its own outfits in Bodyslides. When I built custom meshes, MO2 just picks 1 folder to overwrite. And if I happen to deactivate this folder, my custom meshes will be useless. I would have to fish them out and put them back in Overwrite folder or some other folder. The problem is, I have to search all 3 mod folders to find these files.

- Recorder follower uses UNP body mesh and texture. But I have Recorder customizer for CBBE. I install about 3-4 customizer, each with different skin textures for me to easily activate and deactivate. I also build custom body mesh via Bodyslide. But low and behold, MO2 puts it in the nearest customizer folder (probably the one activated). But if I deactivate this to pick another install, then the body mesh is gone with it, and default UNP body surfaces in game.

- Same for recorder, I just generated some meshes. But I cannot find them anywhere. I have to search the entire Mod folders. I find them in .... Better Vampires mod, which has completely no relation to Recorder follower.

Why can't MO2 just put files in Overwrite folder? So at least I know exactly where my files are? Now I have to look into each and every related folder to find my files. And when all else fails, I have to use Windows Explorer to search the entire Mod folder, among some 10000+ files, to find the files by date. MO2 is supposed to make it easy to manage mod installation and control what to overwrite. Now I have to dig into physical folders like I am running manual install without any mod manager.

Someone on Mod Manager 2's comment told me this is "a new feature". So would someone tell me how to turn off this new feature? I am perfectly happy with files inside my Overwrite folder, reliable and predictable, no hunting.

I run bodyslide all the time and a bunch of patchers. MO2 works like this for me, It only puts files in activated mods folder or the overwrite folder. If the file exist in multiple activated mod folders the last mod folder is used.

This does seem like a bug rather than a feature. MO always put edited files into overwrite. Also there is a option you can click that says something like edited files goes into mod folder instead overwrite . Checking and unchecking this option doesn't do anything for me. However, it is predictable for me so it doesn't bother me and in most of my cases I want the file changed in the mod folder. In cases where I don't want a mod folder files changed load order and/or making use of profiles usually works. You said the folder that was being edited was random? If so load order and profiles might not work for you. It isn't random for me.

I run bodyslide all the time and a bunch of patchers. MO2 works like this for me, It only puts files in activated mods folder or the overwrite folder. If the file exist in multiple activated mod folders the last mod folder is used.

This does seem like a bug rather than a feature. MO always put edited files into overwrite. Also there is a option you can click that says something like edited files goes into mod folder instead overwrite . Checking and unchecking this option doesn't do anything for me. However, it is predictable for me so it doesn't bother me and in most of my cases I want the file changed in the mod folder. In cases where I don't want a mod folder files changed load order and/or making use of profiles usually works. You said the folder that was being edited was random? If so load order and profiles might not work for you. It isn't random for me.

Sorry for late reply. It is not really easy looking up my own post, even. Here is what I found at random: Better Vampires (vampire mod, does not contain anything regarding to body mesh) contains ... a folder with custom built body and outfit for Recorder (another mod to create a follower, named Recorder). This could not have been my doing. I wouldn't have moved these files here by mistake. Yep, this Better Vampires folder was chosen as default Recorder Bodyslide folder.

And here is an annoyance when MO2 decided to put files in the last folder related to a mod: the mod can have a lot of files in different folders. Putting a few files here means each and every time I need to dive in to fish them out. Yesterday I built some outfit meshes, and had no idea where they went. I ended up searching the entire folder and sort them by modified date. It would be easier to sort *.nif. But when I have to sort *.* then Windows will show all folders first, then I have to Page Down about 10-15 times to see the first file. It is just too tedious.

FYI, I don't use profiles. This means I only have 1 profile. Something is telling me if MO2 cannot even handle this properly, fixing in multiple profiles, things will get completely out of hand.

Where is this option to click to choose if files should go into overwrite or actual mod folder? Maybe I should give it a try.

Edited by tomomi1922

When setting up executables to run through MO2 you will see the check box there.

Oh that, that is what I use for Bodyslides. I made a mod folder called "Bodyslides Custom Builds" and direct MO2 to save all files there. Sometimes it does, sometimes it goes to Overwrite, and with the above, maybe this one time it found Better Vampires mod folder to put things in.