Mod idea - Lore friendly respawn randomizer

naotecurto

Hi everyone,

For a long time I had this idea floating on my head and I have no idea if it was ever made into a mod.

If it was, please tell me which one it is!!!

If no one thought of it:

1 - Why can't it be done?

2 - Why haven't you made it already?

So here goes.

I like playing Skyrim without caring at all for the main quest line. I did the same with pretty much all elder scrolls games. And my mod idea aims to help with this.

There are some "factions" when it concerns enemies:

Bandits, Necromancers, Undead, Animals, Ghosts, etc.

Why when dungeons respawn, don't they change faction? It would make sense lorewise and would give extra incentive to go back there. (Bandits turn undead, undead turn animal, animal gets killed by whatever, ghosts haunt the place afterwards...).

From personal experience I always see the same "faction" populate an area after respawns. Am I just unlucky and stopped looking? Is it a good idea?

Your thoughts :D

There's several mods for spawning engines that allow replaying the game.

- Curiously the bulk of them use custom non-lore fitting mobs fully or partially. There's no need for that other than mod maker preference.

But modding to delete the contents of a dungeon and change what spawns there sounds like it would be rather complex. But there are mods that replace things all over the place. I think what you'd need to do is replace all vanilla dungeons with new ones that use the same map, but then have no mobs in them, and then have your spawning engine fill them when the player enters - and leave those contents until either cleared out or some time has passed...

It is the way the game/story is setup that creative people find it unnecessary to randomize. Too arcade, not meaningful RPG. But the idea is not without merit, if you are to craft a careful and immersive backstory. Certainly with the way the civil war is raging on, we should see more territory changing when either faction wins a territory, or a fort, or an outpost. Yet they may not be able to keep it as long, and the opposing side would contemplate to take it back no matter the cost because the position is strategically important to them. And in between, places can be abandoned and smaller factions like a band of bandits opportunistically siege the location, inheriting all the available defensive features they are incapable of building themselves. And when the mighty military comes back to claim the location, the bandits would just have to move on, or the foolhardy would put up a foolish resistance that doomed his tiny band of some 10 bandits against the might of a professional army. The Thalmor may join in the fun by acquiring certain location through diplomacy with Imperials as well (or simply take over from bandits).

It can be fun trying to visit a location managed by an allied faction, only to find out it has been overrun by an enemy force. We may not be hated with that faction, like Thalmor, so they will just shoo us when we get close. YET we left something inside, we would have to sneak in to retrieve. And getting discovered means risking bad relation with Thalmor as a faction. This can be a quest from our previous ally hiding nearby:

- Help reclaiming the forte, all out battle ensues
- Help sneaking into the forte to retrieve a valued document too important to fall into the enemy's hands.

- Help sneaking into the forte to help free prisoners captured from previous take over: leave no man behind, right?

Can be very fun if done right. At least much better than "another settlement needs our help" radian quest.

Certainly with the way the civil war is raging on, we should see more territory changing when either faction wins a territory, or a fort, or an outpost. Yet they may not be able to keep it as long, and the opposing side would contemplate to take it back no matter the cost because the position is strategically important to them. And in between, places can be abandoned and smaller factions like a band of bandits opportunistically siege the location, inheriting all the available defensive features they are incapable of building themselves.

It can be fun trying to visit a location managed by an allied faction, only to find out it has been overrun by an enemy force. We may not be hated with that faction, like Thalmor, so they will just shoo us when we get close. YET we left something inside, we would have to sneak in to retrieve. And getting discovered means risking bad relation with Thalmor as a faction. This can be a quest from our previous ally hiding nearby:

This is probably a better description of what I wanted. The original version stays, but after it gets cleared it might get occupied by another faction of monster. I think it might actually make more sense for this to happen than the same faction managing to keep it again and again.

But modding to delete the contents of a dungeon and change what spawns there

This was never the intention. I only meant repopulating cleared instances after maybe a couple of weeks with different mobs/factions/monsters.

I know Skyrim is amazing at having cohesion between dungeons and all, but after clearing them do you really want the same stuff again and again?

Edited by naotecurto