Fallout 4: Go-To Mod Manager

Moldy

I've been unable to play most of my games for more than a year,now. Now that I've finally built my computer,I need to start all over. In the interim,I've heard that NMM has ceased active development and support,and has been replaced with something called Vortex? Now,I'm very used to how NMM works,but if that's dead code,then I'd rather move onto something with active support and development. Out of the currently-supported mod managers out there that work with Fallout 4,which one is closest to Nexus Mod Manager?

The Nexus Mod Manager... It works fine for Fallout 4. It's even still in development just not by the Nexus. I would suggest Vortex though as it works well and is the newer one with official support.

I've tried a few different variations.

NMM for special installs and load order tweaking + manual for everything else

NMM for everything with a little manual tweaking

Vortex with some manual tweaking

Vortex is looking good, but doesn't allow manual load order management. I find that frustrating. Both NMM and Vortex occasionally mess up mod installation, though it's rare for either. If you're like me and constantly tweaking bodyslide/outfit studio or making edits with FO4Edit, then you might be better off using NMM, because it's less "intrusive" than Vortex, and easier to back out and switch to a manual install if desired.

But Vortex is much better for handling multiple profiles, IMO. I've had trouble with NMM, and it can be extremely slow even when it works.

Anyway, the next time I do a fresh install, I'll probably revert to option 1, use NMM for installation of complicated FOMODS, and do everything else manually. It's slower, but you know exactly how everything is setup. The two use cases this fails for is for quickly/easily checking out new textures, and for handling multiple profiles (different characters with slightly different mod lists).

If you're not "opinionated", and don't mind handing control over to the mod manager, Vortex is probably your best bet. The more manual control you want the more you should lean towards NMM.

In the past few weeks, while reinstalling my laptop after a system wipe, I've gone through most mod managers. MO2, Vortex, Wrye Bash, was NMM user before.

Honestly, NMM is still the cleanest and simplest one that does what I need it to, and only that. Vortex GUI is needlessly complex and hiding too much, MO2 can't export/import load orders to text files, Wrye Bash is overloaded with features that I never use, has a horrible GUI and also can't import/export from what I can tell. I'm a special case though because 95% of the time I'm developing mods and not actually playing. I also come from a heavy Linux/UNIX background, so I like my tools lean and simple because that's just my kind of workflow.

NMM it is,then. Easy manipulation of my load order is a must for me,and while I don't use profiles,since I'm the computer's sole user,and it's not as dead as I thought it was. It does literally everything I need. Throw in Wrye Bash and FO4 Edit for making bashed and merged patches,and I'm good.

As a tester for Vortex, I advise NOT using Vortex unless you want to commit to that testing. I forgot this fact recently and it caused me a lot of headache and time wasted. It is good software, however, it is in ALPHA state which means bugs are not just expected but a fact of life.

And for those that think that Vortex doesn't allow manual load order please PM me and I will show you how to do that. YOU CAN select a manual load order. IT IS a pain in the ass. Details if you want them.

One would consider that to be an essential feature for a feature-complete mod manager. And thus,easy and intuitive to do. Ah,well. Alpha is alpha. Nothing's set in stone. I'll stick with NMM,though.

Yeah I know it's Alpha, but it's essentially just choosing a sane default what we're talking about. Manual sorting has always been the norm. LOOT isn't reliable for FO4. But it's fine to offer automatic sorting with some warning that it likely will not produce a "correct" order, whatever that means in a given case.

The way vortex deals with sorting mods removes the need for "manual sorting.

That's the idea, anyway. But it doesn't work too great in practice. All my issues with Vortex up to this point has been load order.