Open World Games

unarmedtoe

Lately, my current open-world games that I play have been boring me. Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, and all the DLC for both of them, were fun for the last year and a half, but I am looking for other open-world and possibly mod-friendly games.

Games I have played that (somewhat) meet this quota:

Skyrim

Oblivion

Morrowind

Dragon Age Origins

RAGE (way to linear for me)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat - PERFECT but a very old game... Download the MISERY mod from Moddb to fix the choppy gameplay and inferior graphics.

Any Suggestions? I just purchased a gaming PC without realizing that I already beat most of the good games while on the 360. Post-apocalyptic games welcome too :D

Far Cry 1 & 2

Operation Flashpoint

Grand Theft Auto series

Just Cause series

Just Cause 2 is open-world? The first few missions make it look like a mission-based game, but with a sandbox environment.

Far Cry 1/2 seem very cheap on steam. How are they graphically?

Just Cause 2 is open-world? The first few missions make it look like a mission-based game, but with a sandbox environment.

Some of the missions do work that way, but you have freedom on how to approach them and their stages. However, in order to "clear" locations you basically have to destroy all stationary government property, i.e. water towers, defense installments, gas platforms, propaganda trailers... You know, stuff that causes explosions. :biggrin:

Edited by ziitch

If you're interested in multiplayer games, try the DayZ mod for ArmA2. It's truly open-world, permadeath, totally random in that you can't predict other players and tough as hell.

A zombie survival horror built on a military sim, now that's awesome!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat - PERFECT but a very old game..

2010 is very old? :ermm:

I think he means the tech, which feels old to me, too. Or maybe that he's just gone through it so many times it feels old.

Far Cry 2 had fantabulous graphics at launch, and was considered Crysis' only true rival graphical. Crysis' DX10 capacity means it has the advantage, but in general, they're pretty equal, and both still look great today. FC I would really recomend if you can get it cheap, it's not got a very good storyline, and the ending's a disapointingly lazy deus ex machina, but for running around and blowing stuff up, it's good. Quite very good.

Edited by Vindekarr

If you're interested in multiplayer games, try the DayZ mod for ArmA2. It's truly open-world, permadeath, totally random in that you can't predict other players and tough as hell.

A zombie survival horror built on a military sim, now that's awesome!

I've been looking for something like this for the last 7 years of my life...

Now I'm going to download Arma 2. This is like the wet dream of zombie survival fans.

Back on topic, Minecraft is good, and there are quite a few mods. It's open-ended enough that you hardly need mods though. It has somewhat user-unfriendly online, but the open-ness is unparalled.

Two Worlds 2 is meh, but open world with good graphics and multiplayer. There are a few mods for it. In the vanilla game you can buy a boat or horses; there's alchemy, spellmaking, etc. Normally you can only play a male character, but there's a mod to let you play a female character.

Sacred 2 was good (and massive), but it's rare since the company that made it went under. It also can break PhysX drivers because nobody's patching it anymore.

Dark Souls is coming out in August fo rthe PC, and it's somewhat open-world. It's more of a semi-open adventure game than a sandbox game though. It is amazing, however.

Daggerfall is very deep, and... big. The landscape is like 2x the size of Great Britain. It's mostly cloned though, and it's ancient. It's so old it requires DOSbox to run it.

Edited by Rennn